Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2018, 12:26 PM

2 posts, read 6,248 times

Advertisements

I live in Queens. Last summer, I bought a small window air conditioning unit. My landlady made me remove it, saying that it is illegal to keep it in the window, and against codes. I questioned her several times, asking why, and she said that if there is a wall slot for an air conditioner (which my apartment has), then it is illegal to put units in the window.

Last summer, I just accepted this and attempted to put the window unit in the wall slot. It didn't work well, but I didn't want to buy a new air conditioner when I had just bought this one. This summer (which I believe will be my last in this apartment), I'm wondering if I should fight her on it again.

Does anyone know this is, in fact, illegal? I've tried to find more information but can't seem to find a concrete answer. If anyone knows, has dealt with this before, or knows where I can find out, I appreciate it!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2018, 12:58 PM

419 posts, read 625,551 times
i am in construction field, yes its against code if you have ac wall slot. But no one enforces it, maybe get a no drilling support bracket from homedepot. Your landlady certainly dont want your ac accidentally push out of window land on someone head.

Old 02-21-2018, 01:51 PM

7,903 posts, read 7,875,928 times
NO. It is NOT illegal IF your home isn’t retrofitted with a AC vent. BUT it has to be supported with brackets, under the AC unit. Your brackets must be strong enough to support the size and weight of the AC. Some developments are outright sealing the AC with the window, but have brackets under them. Get into it.

Old 02-21-2018, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollowplayer2 View Post
i am in construction field, yes its against code if you have ac wall slot. But no one enforces it, maybe get a no drilling support bracket from homedepot. Your landlady certainly dont want your ac accidentally push out of window land on someone head.
Somebody lied to you

Old 02-21-2018, 04:04 PM

3,861 posts, read 3,148,782 times
It would not be fair for tenants to buy a big wall sleave ac unit. She should have had an ac installed , on her dime,if she forbid you from using yours.

If you are still going to live there this summer, write her a letter, return recipt from the post office. Send it with your rent ! She needs to find a fair solution for you.

It is common to move into an apartment with your own ac , and more common to have your ac installed. Forbidding you from using your own unit is not right. Is it in your lease? Did you not for see this as being a problem?

Old 02-21-2018, 05:38 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emay18 View Post
I live in Queens. Last summer, I bought a small window air conditioning unit. My landlady made me remove it, saying that it is illegal to keep it in the window, and against codes. I questioned her several times, asking why, and she said that if there is a wall slot for an air conditioner (which my apartment has), then it is illegal to put units in the window.

Last summer, I just accepted this and attempted to put the window unit in the wall slot. It didn't work well, but I didn't want to buy a new air conditioner when I had just bought this one. This summer (which I believe will be my last in this apartment), I'm wondering if I should fight her on it again.

Does anyone know this is, in fact, illegal? I've tried to find more information but can't seem to find a concrete answer. If anyone knows, has dealt with this before, or knows where I can find out, I appreciate it!

Thanks!
Is the window you were trying to put it in on a fire escape? That's the only reason I can think of that a window a/c would be illegal.

Old 02-21-2018, 09:17 PM

OP said her house AC has a AC slot. The unit MUST GO in the slot then. You might have to get it sealed into the slot

Old 02-22-2018, 02:10 AM

4,196 posts, read 4,077,595 times
If window air conditioners are "illegal" sometimes then NYC doesn't mention that on their a/c page.

https://www1.nyc.gov/site/buildings/...ning-unit.page

Old 02-22-2018, 06:48 AM

31,897 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollowplayer2 View Post

No it's not.

https://www1.nyc.gov/site/buildings/...ion-codes.page

https://www1.nyc.gov/site/buildings/...ning-unit.page

What is required are the installation of brackets: //www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...er-window.html

Q & A - The New York Times

Old 02-22-2018, 06:55 AM

31,897 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emay18 View Post

Thanks!

No, it isn't against any NYC law to use window air conditioners, this regardless of having a sleeve installed through wall.

That being said many buildings/landlords do *NOT* want window air conditioners out of liability issues. That is far too often the things are not installed properly and end up falling down/out which could harm someone.

Since you are a renter if the above happens injured party is likely to sue both you *and* the property owner. Law presumes the LL will take all steps to ensure safety of his/her property, this includes ensuring whatever tenants place in windows aren't a danger to those on street below.

Our building does not allow a GD thing in windows (units all have Feeders sleeves for through the wall AC). Can't even put a flower pot or wind chimes. If you want to grow flowers or whatever long as it remains inside the window/apartment that is fine.

All this being said your lease determines what cannot and can be done. OTOH do you really want to go battle with your LL over this issue? Unless you are living in a rent controlled or stabilized apartment I'd think long and hard about your response.

Yes, you can tell your LL to pound salt and put the AC in window. But unless you have a lease with an automatic right to renewal and a certain rate the LL might just turn around and tell you "don't want ya, get out" when lease expires.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: