Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2018, 02:52 PM

1,339 posts, read 1,684,525 times

Advertisements

These are the general areas of each apartment. Which neighborhood or location do you like best?

East 108th and 1st Avenue
East 106th and 2nd Ave
West 158th and Riverside Drive
Cathedral Parkway and Columbus Ave (West 110th)
East 107th between Madison and Fifth
Van Cortlandt Park South (Bronx)
Buhre Avenue 6 train stop area (Bronx)

By best I mean: more convenient transportation, more amenities (shopping, daily necessities, the occasional takeout), quieter/safer (don't need completely sanitized but don't want to be really unsafe either). Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2018, 03:11 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,616,423 times
- Probably in this order -

The one I'd go for:

1. Cathedral Parkway and Columbus Ave

If these were my only choices:

2. Van Cortlandt Park South (by the subway)
3. West 158th and Riverside Drive
4. Van Cortlandt Park South (not by the subway)
5. Buhre Ave 6 train stop area

If you were to pay me to live there:

6. East 107th between Madison and Fifth

If I was actually going to just move to Queens and was leading the broker on:

7. East 106th and 2nd Ave
8. East 108th and 1st Avenue

My personal comfort level tells me 108th by 1st is pretty damned ghetto. I generally don't joke with East Harlem even if it pales compared to University Heights/Brownsville/East New York/South Jamaica/etc. Friend moved out of his building near there after a cop got shot in front of it. I've been up there enough to see what's up. Maybe if I was going to buy with expectation the neighborhood would get better, but to rent? No way. It's already overpriced. Good wine bar on Lex and 103rd though.

Old 02-22-2018, 03:12 PM

120 posts, read 186,361 times
Cathedral Parkway and Columbus

Old 02-22-2018, 03:23 PM

1,339 posts, read 1,684,525 times
How is the general vibe around 158th and Riverside? I haven't had a chance to go up there yet but I haven't heard anything bad about it. It seems largely residential and I think the 1 train is nearby.

I was by Buhre last week. I really liked the area. Residential, quiet, but also lots of amenities. Felt very safe. Lots of Italian stores too which is good (I am Italian American, and I need my cheese and parsley sausage every now and then lol).

Old 02-22-2018, 03:24 PM

2,301 posts, read 1,886,113 times

Old 02-22-2018, 03:38 PM

12,789 posts, read 8,290,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadypinesma View Post
These are the general areas of each apartment. Which neighborhood or location do you like best?

East 106th and 2nd Ave

By best I mean: more convenient transportation, more amenities (shopping, daily necessities, the occasional takeout), quieter/safer (don't need completely sanitized but don't want to be really unsafe either). Thanks!
-Not really a fan of any of them. With just about all of them you have to put up with crappy subway service. No thank you. Riverside Drive is nice, but then there's getting to the 1 train, and that 157th street station is disgusting.

-East Harlem - No thank you

-East Harlem - No thank you

-Cathedral Parkway and Columbus Avenue (West 110th) Could be nice, especially if you have alternatives to the subway like Uber

-Burhe Avenue does offer the BxM8 express bus, but the area (Middletown-Pelham Bay) is rather ugly (though safe with decent shopping). The main shopping is near and under the 6 train.

-Van Cortlandt Park South - Too close to the Major Deegan and the 1 train and too close to the ghetto parts of the Bronx. It's NOT Riverdale, but they try to charge Riverdale rents and treat it like it's Riverdale.

Old 02-22-2018, 03:48 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,616,423 times
Quote:
How is the general vibe around 158th and Riverside? I haven't had a chance to go up there yet but I haven't heard anything bad about it. It seems largely residential and I think the 1 train is nearby.

I was by Buhre last week. I really liked the area. Residential, quiet, but also lots of amenities. Felt very safe. Lots of Italian stores too which is good (I am Italian American, and I need my cheese and parsley sausage every now and then lol).
Loud sometimes, but otherwise Riverside is nice. However, you're increasing your commute time for no reason if you have to choose between that and Cathedral Parkway/Columbus Ave. Manhattan Valley is a gorgeous area. Go with that and ignore the rest.

Now if it was 168th - 193rd or Dyckman to Isham west of Broadway, I'd go the extra mile and say they are very good contenders to Cathedral. Can't beat the commute though.

Old 02-22-2018, 04:06 PM

12,789 posts, read 8,290,806 times
Quote:

Pelham Bay still has a decent Italian population, but the neighborhood is changing. You'd be better off in say Country Club. I'm siciliano, and when I need my Italian fix, I go to stores in Manhattan.

Old 02-22-2018, 04:50 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,672,796 times
Okay, I'll admit up front that I'm not familiar with them, but I'd opt for East 107th at Madison/Fifth as likely being the safest and nicest. Probably not convenient for things like marketing, but with all the supermarket closings, pretty soon nothing will be convenient. Further east would be scruffier, but good markets there.

Old 02-22-2018, 04:50 PM

34,091 posts, read 47,293,896 times
Quote:

East 106th and 2nd Ave

In order of your criteria, from most relevant to least:

1. West 110th between Cathedral Parkway & Columbus Avenue
2. Buhre Avenue 6 train
3. East 106th Street and Second Avenue
4. Van Cortlandt Park South
5. East 107th Street between Madison Avenue and Fifth Avenue
6. East 108th Street and First Avenue

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: