Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2018, 06:39 AM

34,189 posts, read 47,492,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVEROFNYC View Post
Maybe the secret is out who knows. Our house has appreciated over $200k since we purchased 3 years ago. The neighborhood still feels the same. I think in Queens we have figured out how to have it all lol. I feel bad for the people buying at a higher price. Hopefully it is still affordable to them.
It doesnt matter, dont feel bad for people "buying at higher prices"

Somebody bought your house cheaper than you did at one point.

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2018, 07:49 AM

1,952 posts, read 1,309,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer23 View Post
I live and own in Queens, there is nothing aesthetically pleasing about living in Queens. There no charm to Queens like brownstone neighborhoods in Manhattan/Brooklyn near quality parks such as Central Park and Prospect Park. Queens is the armpit of the NYC boroughs with it hosh posh approach to building architecture, the land of illegal subletting of basements, and packing illegal immigrants into houses like sardines.

The surrounding waters around Flushing Meadows park were dumping grounds for sewage/toxic and some of the most foul smells you will ever encounter.

I do like central park and prospect park. I went rowing with my friend in central park and it was fun. The place where those parks loose points is that they are often so crowded and too much going in the warmer months to feel at peace when you visit.

If you use the facilities such as tennis courts, handball courts, basketball courts etc. , they tend to be in high demand n r crowded. I have 3 parks within walking distance from my house. One has an indoor pool, one has an outdoor pool. Many tennis courts between them, about six. You don't need reservations
Grab your racket n go play.
They are presently re-paving one running track at one of the parks and just spent $1 mill renovating the kids play area for the other. There is never a large crowd when I visit the parks. I can find a nice shady spot. Lay out on my blanket and relax while reading a book. It is not unheard of to find multiple parks within walking distance from a single neighborhood.

The houses here are beautiful n charming. They aren't brownstone but they have tudors and colonials which are appealing to people who want more outdoor living space.

Old 02-23-2018, 08:27 AM

14,091 posts, read 14,022,790 times
Quote:
I like Queens because it is affordable, cheap even. You get the suburb feeling without commiting to Long Island/Westchester. It is convenient to travel to the city via LIRR. Close to two airports. Diversity means you get all sorts of ethnic goodies and eateries. Neighborly.
Over half my block have lived/owned for the past 20, some 30 to 40 years. Every house is owner occupied. A house was just sold. The previous owner died after living there for 30 plus years.
I don't see us selling for the next 10 to 15 years.

Edited to add: and convenient to travel to Long Island
Yonkers, MT Vernon, White Plains, New Rochelle in Westchester is 35 min commute to the city via Metro North

Old 02-23-2018, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Yonkers, MT Vernon, White Plains, New Rochelle in Westchester is 35 min commute to the city via Metro North
I have previously lived in Westchester. I could not wait to leave. The public bus schedule sucked. I had to call my dad to pick me up or take a cab after missing the last bus or because it was cold and the next bus was 45 mins away.
Walking to the vet, dentist, grocery store, train station, pharmacy etc was also not an option. Ethnic food variety and things to purchase was also severly limited. I can find spanish, polish, greek, thai, west indian, Nepalese etc quickly and easily in Queens. N dinning is very inexpensive.

I never wait more than 5 mins for a bus from where I live in queens. I routinely park my vehicle and hop on the bus or train to travel to the city. I also have a LIRR station within a short 10 mins walking distance. This LIRR is 25 mins to the city. Trains arrive every hr.

Another LIRR stop is a short 10 to 12 mins bus ride from my location. Trains from this stop departs EVERY 10 mins to PENN station. Travel time to PENN STATION 18 mins. I can also drive my car to either station and easily find free off street parking.

Living in Queens means I have access to the beach. My beach umbrella doesn't leave the back of my SUV. I already bought two books for that first beach day of relaxing and reading.

It is just a more convenient area to live. For me atleast.

Old 02-23-2018, 09:26 AM

4,437 posts, read 7,691,403 times
Notice that nobody's talkin' about 'Da Southside'......!

Old 02-23-2018, 09:37 AM

14,091 posts, read 14,022,790 times
Quote:
I have previously lived in Westchester. I could not wait to leave. The public bus schedule sucked. I had to call my dad to pick me up or take a cab after missing the last bus or because it was cold and the next bus was 45 mins away.
Walking to the vet, dentist, grocery store, train station, pharmacy etc was also not an option. Ethnic food variety and things to purchase was also severly limited. I can find spanish, polish, greek, thai, west indian, Nepalese etc quickly and easily in Queens. N dinning is very inexpensive.

I never wait more than 5 mins for a bus from where I live in queens. I routinely park my vehicle and hop on the bus or train to travel to the city. I also have a LIRR station within a short 10 mins walking distance. This LIRR is 25 mins to the city. Trains arrive every hr.

Another LIRR stop is a short 10 to 12 mins bus ride from my location. Trains from this stop departs EVERY 10 mins to PENN station. Travel time to PENN STATION 18 mins. I can also drive my car to either station and easily find free off street parking.

Living in Queens means I have access to the beach. My beach umbrella doesn't leave the back of my SUV. I already bought two books for that first beach day of relaxing and reading.

It is just a more convenient area to live. For me atleast.
Which town in Westchester ?

Old 02-23-2018, 10:18 AM

Quote:
New Rochelle and Yonkers.

Old 02-23-2018, 10:28 AM

Quote:
I actually moved and reverse commuted on the Metro North to work because I didn't like the sleepiness super suburbia of Westchester.

Old 02-23-2018, 10:45 AM

8,943 posts, read 4,803,960 times
Quote:
Staring you down with the evil eye on behalf of the Queens coalition. You have some nerve lol. Queens forever!
Jeesh! Nice to know you Queens people are loyal to your borough. (Not being sarcastic). Borough pride! Good to see.
As for me, Manhattan forever!

Last edited by Aeran; 02-23-2018 at 11:09 AM..

Old 02-23-2018, 11:01 AM

8,943 posts, read 4,803,960 times
Quote:
Wakable! I walk to the supermarket, pharmacy, dentist, post office, vet (if you have an animal), hair dresser. Church, doctors office, So many cheap good dinning options are available within walking distance or a short drive away.
My friend from Brooklyn said she enjoys the small town feeling without being in a small town.
Yeah, yeah. You have been talking to my mother because she says this and often. She calls her neighborhood a "little village". But having both high density urban and low density suburban feel all in one area. And prefers the QBG over Central Park any day. I hope you and her will never meet because the two of you will just gang up on me.

Btw, my brother's been trying to convince her to live closer to him in Long Island. That proved to be harder than me convincing her to move to Manhattan. She hates Long Island! lol.
But oddly enough on his most recent put down of Queens (as a tactic to get her to move), I found myself defending it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City