Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2018, 08:52 AM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
No one is listening to anonymous people in this forum.

Certainly the MTA is not consulting you lot. You’ll live with what they decide.
Lol, why are you still talking?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2018, 09:30 AM

88,560 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Metro North to Penn Station is a done deal, as is the LIRR to Grand Central. Time to fight for new transit projects.
Thanks. Same with the "Cuomo wants" statement re the LGA Airtrain to Willets Point in the other thread. These aren't maybes. They are projects in motion already. You guys LIVE in NYC. How come you don't know the status of this stuff?

Old 04-10-2018, 09:47 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,969,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Thanks. Same with the "Cuomo wants" statement re the LGA Airtrain to Willets Point in the other thread. These aren't maybes. They are projects in motion already. You guys LIVE in NYC. How come you don't know the status of this stuff?
Exactly. Contracts have been signed, money has been paid, and work has been done. Any opposition now is way too late.

Old 04-10-2018, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astorian31 View Post
East Side Access is a done deal. Penn Station Access for MetroNorth is not. Construction hasn’t even started. Though unless Cuomo gets voted out, it will likely happen.

The point of of my arguments is not necessarily to stop PennStation Access but to get more people to realize that the MTA needs to realign it’s priorities when it comes to capital construction projects. All transit construction projects are not created equally. When you fund project after project that benefits a small amount of riders, at the expense of projects that benefit the vast majority, there is no excuse.

East side Access was a waste of money. Period. PennStation Access WILL be a waste of money. Period. Unless we convert grand central and PennStation into through stations rather than terminals, any further money spent on capital construction on commuter rails is a waste of money. Period.

Helping people see the terrible decisions the MTA keeps making is the only chance we have at forcing them to change in the future. The MTA has to stop putting suburban riders ahead of NYCTransit. We (as in the city) provide the vast majority of the funding, we deserve for our money be invested in projects that will make a difference for the vast majority of riders.
WHAT? Construction is the very last part of the process. I went to a huge pre-proposal conference for the preliminary design RFP back in January. (I don't see that it's been awarded yet.) They had a really cool video showing the new system. It's been in the works for a long time. They aren't going to abandon the project this far in.

Old 04-10-2018, 11:02 AM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Quote:
WHAT? Construction is the very last part of the process. I went to a huge pre-proposal conference for the preliminary design RFP back in January. (I don't see that it's been awarded yet.) They had a really cool video showing the new system. It's been in the works for a long time. They aren't going to abandon the project this far in.
As NYC/MTA history has shown, projects can certainly be abandoned or radically changed pretty late in the game. MTA is still looking at RFPs for Penn Station Access isn't it? I haven't heard that they made any selections yet.

Old 04-10-2018, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
As NYC/MTA history has shown, projects can certainly be abandoned or radically changed pretty late in the game. MTA is still looking at RFPs for Penn Station Access isn't it? I haven't heard that they made any selections yet.
Yes, that's what I said in my post. That is for the preliminary design and general engineering consultant services. I also took a quick look at the 2015 - 2019 Capital Plan, and that's the gist of what's in it for this project. The next Capital Plan update will have to include more for final design and construction.

And you're right, anything can be changed, but I would bet that this is going.

My point to the other poster is that the construction phase is a pretty poor indicator of whether a project is a done deal or not. Construction comes at the end of years of planning, property acquisition, design, etc. Oh yeah, and the political will to support the project and the backing and investment by the politician's supporters who will profit from the project. Not that I'm cynical or anything... , but I've been on the periphery of this world for a very long time.

Old 04-10-2018, 11:54 AM

4,437 posts, read 7,672,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astorian31 View Post
Completion of the second ave subway will help more Bronx Commuters than these New MetroNorth stations. The reality remains that the Bronx is one of the poorest counties in the country. Most Bronx residents can barely afford a metro card today, let alone paying for MetroNorth and then paying again to use the subway to get to their final destination (even with a reduced fare city ticket for MetroNorth.) That severely limits the number of potential riders these MetroNorth stations will get.

On the other hand, completion of just phase II of the second ave subway will greatly reduce the strain in the Lexington Ave lines, allowing for more reliable and improved service on the Lexington Ave lines. Remember, one of the biggest source of delays is station dwell times. With the second ave subway siphoning off Lexington Ave riders, dwell times will great improve on the 4,5,6. The 2nd ave subway doesn’t even need to reduce that many passengers on the Lexington Ave lines to accomplish this. Studies have shown that it doesn’t take a huge reduction in passenger to accomplish better dwell times.

A more reliable 4/5/6 will do a lot more for the majority of Bronx residents than these MetroNorth stations accessible only to a select few.
As someone who takes the Lex Avenue Line, everyday, I have not seen much of an improvement in either crowd reduction or service. I vehemently disagree!

You be surprised at how many New Yorkers had to move the suburbs (or exurbs), due to the city being to expensive! Also, the reverse commute issue is real! For those reasons, I'm for the Metro North improvements, in addition to the SAC.....!

Old 04-10-2018, 01:24 PM

912 posts, read 1,131,917 times
Quote:
No one is listening to anonymous people in this forum.

Certainly the MTA is not consulting you lot. You’ll live with what they decide.
Lol, following your logic, city data should be closed down. The whole purpose of this forum is to talk about NYC related issues. If you have nothing worth while to contribute, than why participate in these discussions? I am under no illusion that someone at the MTA will read my posts and magically change course. No. That is not the point of these forums. My purpose of posting here is to get fellow NYers engaged on transit issues, even if we don’t necessarily agree on every single issue. Public pressure is the only way to implement change, that’s how NYers eventually put a stop to Robert Moses’ destructive rampage.

Old 04-10-2018, 01:30 PM

Quote:
It’s funny that you criticize my posts for not knowing the “status of this stuff.” Yet you are the one that seems confused as to how these projects work. ARC was already under construction when Christie canceled it. A governor can cancel these projects whenever they want. I specifically stated in a previous post that these projects will most likely go ahead as long as Cuomo remains in power. I am under no illusions that any of my posts will change that. I’m merely pointing out what a waste they are. However, if by some miracle, Nixon manages to outseat Cuomo, it’s entirely possible for these projects to be modified or changed, despite work that has already been done.

Old 04-10-2018, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
As someone who takes the Lex Avenue Line, everyday, I have not seen much of an improvement in either crowd reduction or service. I vehemently disagree!

You be surprised at how many New Yorkers had to move the suburbs (or exurbs), due to the city being to expensive! Also, the reverse commute issue is real! For those reasons, I'm for the Metro North improvements, in addition to the SAC.....!
I can’t stress this enough, your anecdotes are not evidence. You experiences on the matter does not override empirical data. These are facts: phase II of the second ave subway is important in reducing crowding on the Lexington Ave, which is not yet built. However, even taking that into account, Lexington Ave ridership HAS gone down. To the tune of OVER a million riders. Don’t take my word for it, look at the data from the MTA itself: mta.info | Facts and Figures

68th, 77th, 86th, and 96tg have all seen a decrease in ridership. Particularly 86th st, which is notorious for long dwell times. However, until phase II is completed, we won’t see the full affect 2nd ave will have on the Lexington Ave line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City