Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2018, 06:40 AM

1,013 posts, read 902,910 times

Advertisements

I remember that day, I had recently moved from SI to Madison NJ and was driving to a meeting in the Bronx. I was approaching the GWB when I heard the news on the radio and when I got onto the bridge I looked over my shoulder and had a clear shot of WTC but I couldn’t see anything. That day will never be forgotten and changed things in this country forever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2018, 06:42 AM

1,013 posts, read 902,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
You could have worked it to get some free drinks.

My now-exh was eating lunch at a bar (in NJ) when he saw on TV what was going on. He said he couldn't even finish his sandwich, he was so upset, and so he asked them to wrap it up and he drove to his regular bar owned by his friend, where he stayed till midnight that night getting free drinks because his wife was in the WTC bombing.

By 9/11, we were divorced, but he saw the buildings go down from the roof of his building in Fort Lee, threw up over the edge of the roof, then jumped in his car and drove to our daughter's school and got her out--and told her I was dead. She was 10.

I only found that last part out about a year or so ago. She didn't believe him, and when they got to my mother's house, they learned I had called to say I got out.

Always helpful in a crisis, that man.

Wow helpful indeed...what a story!!!!

Old 03-05-2018, 07:35 AM

88,253 posts, read 84,190,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Well, he DID throw up, so I guess that showed he CARED.
Yes, I was touched by that part of his story. LOL.

He wasn't one to pay child support regularly, so maybe he was upset that he might actually have to pay money toward raising his kid!

Ah, such fun. I am so glad not to be married to him anymore, but I no longer wish him dead. Or try to think of ways to make it happen.

Old 03-06-2018, 06:06 PM

8,919 posts, read 4,718,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
No. It was snowing, a heavy, wet snow, but there was no major wind.
I was in class and that's what I remember also. That it was a cold, wet, dreary day and remember thinking it was adding insult to injury to all the evacuees and first responders.

Old 03-09-2018, 08:57 AM

566 posts, read 501,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Why didn't your TV work? In 1993 there was no disruption of TV service in the Tri-state area as far as I remember.
There sure was no TV reception. WTC had a TV and radio antenna. Back then, tv was over the air.
By 2001, I had internet, so when 9/11 happened, again no TV nor radio, but Internet worked.

Old 03-09-2018, 12:17 PM
Status: "Wishing all the best of health and peace!" (set 4 days ago)

43,418 posts, read 44,127,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Gomar Holnyuk View Post
There sure was no TV reception. WTC had a TV and radio antenna. Back then, tv was over the air.
By 2001, I had internet, so when 9/11 happened, again no TV nor radio, but Internet worked.
I have never had cable TV. In 1993 I had full over the air TV reception on the day of WTC attack (since there was no harm done to the antennas on top of the buildings). But in 2001, I lost my TV reception (for a number of days) on all local channels except CBS once both WTC Towers fell/collapsed.

Old 03-09-2018, 02:19 PM

8,919 posts, read 4,718,798 times
Quote:
I have never had cable TV. In 1993 I had full over the air TV reception on the day of WTC attack (since there was no harm done to the antennas on top of the buildings). But in 2001, I lost my TV reception (for a number of days) on all local channels except CBS once both WTC Towers fell/collapsed.
Yeah. I remember my friend (who didn't have cable) telling me he was watching the whole thing unfold on his TV until one of the Towers (forget which one) started to collapse. That's when his tv started flickering on and off and finally went out completely. I remember him telling me that was very poignant someway.

Old 03-09-2018, 02:35 PM

4,169 posts, read 4,038,234 times
Quote:
I only had over the air TV in 2001 and did not lose any channels on 9/11. At some point they switched the signal to the Empire State Building and it was a little weaker but not much.

Old 03-09-2018, 03:37 PM
Status: "Wishing all the best of health and peace!" (set 4 days ago)

43,418 posts, read 44,127,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
I only had over the air TV in 2001 and did not lose any channels on 9/11. At some point they switched the signal to the Empire State Building and it was a little weaker but not much.
Perhaps depending on what part the city one was in. I remember after a few days I started receiving NBC (channel 4) programs over Channel 25 which I believe comes from Long Island.

Old 03-09-2018, 05:08 PM

88,253 posts, read 84,190,273 times
Quote:
What happened is that the main stations still had their backup systems at the Empire State Building, so when power to the WTC went out from the bomb, the backup took over.

There definitely was service that day. My now-exh was watching at a bar, my parents were watching at home, and I was briefly interviewed at Hoboken Terminal, and my mom's friend saw it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City