Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2018, 09:01 AM

4 posts, read 3,696 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Do you have some insider tips for me please. I am going to visit NY City next Sommer and I‘m not interessted in visiting the classic sights, everyone knows.

tnx for helping,

Franky
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2018, 04:58 AM

43,620 posts, read 44,346,965 times
What are your interests?

Old 03-03-2018, 01:27 AM

Hi Chava61
I am interessted in ...
- places where you can relax
- places with a good view on the Skyline of Manhattan
- I am not really interessted in visiting a museum
- some places, no tourist knows

Some examples:
- City Hall Subway station
- Roosevelt Island
- High line park??
- Brooklyn heights
- Dumbo

Franky

Old 03-03-2018, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franky_Obama View Post
Hi Chava61
I am interessted in ...
- places where you can relax
- places with a good view on the Skyline of Manhattan
- I am not really interessted in visiting a museum
- some places, no tourist knows

Some examples:
- City Hall Subway station
- Roosevelt Island
- High line park??
- Brooklyn heights
- Dumbo

Franky
I would suggest taking the Roosevelt Island Tram which gives one a great view (of the island as well some of Eastern side of Manhattan) although it is a short ride. Once you are on Roosevelt Island, walk along the promenade on the Southwestern side of the island all the way down to the tip which has a good view of Manhattan, Queens and Brooklyn (more in the distance).

The Highline Park is nice but can be quite crowded. So try to go there on a weekday during working hours.

The Brooklyn Heights Promenade is quite lovely with a view of the Southeastern tip of Manhattan. At the southern end of the Promenade enter on to Montague Street which has lots of good restaurants with outdoor seating areas in the warmer weather months.

Dumbo has some interesting cobblestone streets just below the Manhattan Bridge which is a more noisy alternative (due to the subway trains on the bridge) for walking across the East River instead of the more crowded Brooklyn Bridge. Also in Dumbo just south of the Brooklyn Bridge is the Brooklyn Bridge Park near the East River which has a lovely old style carousal named Jane's Carousal (see Jane's Carousel ).

I haven't been to the City Hall subway station. But I believe if you stay on the 6 train after the last stop as City Hall going south, it looks back via the old city hall subway station in order to go back up north.

Old 03-03-2018, 09:26 AM

Ok thank´s.

Do you know some other similar places?

Old 03-03-2018, 09:49 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times
Check into the NYC ferry system. Each ride is the same cost as a subway and you can get to a lot of nice destinations at the same time as having a nice ride on the water.

https://www.ferry.nyc/

You could also add Governor's Island to your list. It has some interesting events in the summer and you can also rent a bike and ride around the island.

Old 03-03-2018, 04:24 PM

3,861 posts, read 3,148,782 times
Governors island,
Long island City Gantry Park for an east side skyline,
the Unisphere in Flushing Meadows Corona Park,
Believe it or not, the hop on hop off bus tours are pretty cool.
Getting on a citi bike to get lost can be a great idea.
Without specific interest, it's hard to steer you in the right direction.

Old 03-04-2018, 05:29 AM

Another place could be Forest Hills Gardens with its cobble-stoned streets. It also has a pictureque square below the Forest Hills Long Island Railroad Station that makes one think that one is in an old style European village.

Old 03-07-2018, 07:18 AM

2,440 posts, read 4,833,620 times
Take the A train to 190th Street and the elevator up to Fort Tryon Park. Walk up through the park, take in the views and the landscaping. Maybe visit the Cloisters (museum). Walk down around the backside, cross Dyckman Street, and continue on up through the woods of Inwood Hill park. It’s all beautiful and fascinating and relaxing.

For manhattan views, two NJ sites: Boulevard East in Weehawken continues on for many blocks; the southerly part of it near Lincoln Tunnel is all you need for breathtaking views. 2, the lawn around the cannon mount on the Stevens institute of Tech campus in Hoboken (easily reached via PATH train). Nice place to sit on a summer evening and look out over the river and the city. Also in Hoboken the pier parks that jut out into the Hudson River—new since my time in Hoboken—that replaced the old Hamburg America and North German Lloyd line piers.

Old 03-07-2018, 07:45 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,337,475 times
I’ll second riding the ferry system in summer.

You can take the Rockaway ferry and see a NYC beach and hang out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City