Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2018, 07:23 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times

Advertisements

The Metropolitan Museum of Art.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2018, 09:27 AM

3,559 posts, read 2,401,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
South Jamaica, Rochdale, and Springfield Gardens have a suburban feel to you? Not tryint to start an argument, just curious.
Cambria Heights, Queens Village, Rosedale and St Albans! Yes those neighborhoods in particular have more of that feel compared to other communities in other boroughs!

Plus south Jamaica is a contradiction to what my point was since the area is a ghetto!

But compared to other black communities in Brooklyn, Manhattan and The Bronx, the black neighborhoods in southeast Queens definitely are more spread out and sprawled.

When I say suburban feel, that’s what I’m talking about communities with barely any buildings and just blocks and blocks of separated single/multi family homes with driveways and front lawns and backyards. That’s exactly what Southeast and Northeast Queens is!

Old 03-04-2018, 09:28 AM

3,559 posts, read 2,401,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
Maybe he was referring to Rosedale and Laurelton?
Precisely I was referring to Queens Village, Cambria Heights, Rosedale, Laurelton.

Old 03-04-2018, 09:29 AM

34,093 posts, read 47,293,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellUpInHarlem View Post
Waaaaait. I do like the UWS and Washington Heights. I don’t know how I omitted them from the list. I wouldn’t mind living on a high floor in the 80’s on Riverside Drive in one of those pre war buildings
Riverside Drive is nice but how's their rat problem at night???

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 03-04-2018, 09:31 AM

283 posts, read 233,934 times
Anywhere that serves really good pizza

Also, Grand Central Terminal. Beautiful building

Old 03-04-2018, 09:32 AM

34,093 posts, read 47,293,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
South Jamaica, Rochdale, and Springfield Gardens have a suburban feel to you? Not tryint to start an argument, just curious.
Man you couldnt wait for that one, huh

LoL

Like when people say Southeast Queens and suburban, nobody is thinking about those areas first. Well definitely not South Jamaica or Rochdale, they both have way too many apartment buildings.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 03-04-2018, 01:31 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,483,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Man you couldnt wait for that one, huh

LoL

Like when people say Southeast Queens and suburban, nobody is thinking about those areas first. Well definitely not South Jamaica or Rochdale, they both have way too many apartment buildings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
Cambria Heights, Queens Village, Rosedale and St Albans! Yes those neighborhoods in particular have more of that feel compared to other communities in other boroughs!

Plus south Jamaica is a contradiction to what my point was since the area is a ghetto!

But compared to other black communities in Brooklyn, Manhattan and The Bronx, the black neighborhoods in southeast Queens definitely are more spread out and sprawled.

When I say suburban feel, that’s what I’m talking about communities with barely any buildings and just blocks and blocks of separated single/multi family homes with driveways and front lawns and backyards. That’s exactly what Southeast and Northeast Queens is!

That's a fair point. Queens Village is denser than San Francisco though, which is why I think a neighborhood like that is different from the actual suburbs.

Springfield Gardens even feels a little too dense to actually be suburban, plus there are homeless shelters there, a lot of pedestrian traffic, and a large chunk of the population using public transit. And people hanging outside of bodegas lol.

Old 03-04-2018, 02:38 PM

499 posts, read 793,971 times
West Inwood, Astoria, Chinatown, Prospect Lefferts Gardens/Flatbush, Brighton Beach, Jackson Heights

I like dense neighborhoods that retain some bit of authenticity.

Old 03-04-2018, 04:41 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,327,637 times
The Highline

Central Park

New World Mall in Flushing

The area around Soho, Bowery, and Chinatown. This little piece of NYC has some really interesting street life and architecture

Roosevelt Avenue between 69th Street and Junction Boulevard

Old 03-04-2018, 05:11 PM

3,960 posts, read 3,598,773 times
I like some of the neighborhoods that have retained some of their original neighborhood feel with their own character.
Most are in the outer boroughs, but I also like in Manhattan:

Morningside Heights - I like that it has more character than the Upper West Side, the academic feel

In Queens:

I really like Forest Hills, because it feels so green and peaceful compared to most NYC neighborhoods

In Brooklyn (my favorite borough):

My favorite is the Kings Highway neighborhood in Midwood/Gravesend/Homecrest - I love the non-gentrified feel, the neighborhood looks similar today as it did 10 years ago, 20 years ago, 30 years ago, etc.
There are still lots of independent retailers (mostly not chain stores), I love the Middle Eastern atmosphere, thanks to the longtime Syrian Jewish community and a lot of Turkish residents and stores in the neighborhoo as well

I also really like Borough Park. Wow, what a unique neighborhood. It doesn't even feel like NYC. Happy chassidic music blares from storefronts, and people are pleasant and low-key/polite, and children walking by speak Yiddish.

In short, I do like a lot of the ethnic neighborhoods in NYC, and I look forward to exploring more of them!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City