Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2018, 09:14 PM

672 posts, read 756,957 times

Advertisements

Fort Tyron Park, the Cloisters, Mid-Town South and West, Pelham Bay Park, North Shore of Staten Island.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2018, 10:04 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,614,299 times
Manhattan -
Fort Tryon Park, most of Washington Heights on top of the hill (Pinehurst is gorgeous), Riverside Dr in the UWS and Harlem, Covenant Ave, Sylveon St in Washington Heights (doubt many people know this one), UWS in the townhome areas, Manhattan Valley, area around 52nd and 2nd (lots of Japanese stuff that's actually pretty close to the stuff in Tokyo, St Marks is more Osaka sans Decibel), LES, Chinatown in most capacities, West Village/Greenwich Village, 9th Ave in Hells Kitchen, Bryant Park to Rockefeller Center in different capacities (Nintendo World, Book Off, Kinokinouya, HQ Video, etc.), the Asian side of St Marks.

Brooklyn -
Midwood, Brighton Beach, Coney Island during warmer months, Sunset Park, Carrol Gardens, Bay Ridge, Greenpoint, a select few spots in Williamsburg and Bushwick (Radegast for instance), Red Hook by the water (it's pretty ugly otherwise), brownstones in BedStuy, that Jewish area in Crown Heights.

Queens -
Forest Hills!!, Jackson Heights, some of Astoria (architecture is really displeasing here), Woodside, Blackthorn 51 (in Elmhurst), Flushing, Kew Gardens, Ridgewood, Douglaston/Little Neck, Bayside, Far Rockaway in parts.

Bronx -
Pelham Parkway, Buckner Blvd, Belmont/Little Italy, Kingsbridge, Riverdale, City Island, Pelham Bay Park, Pelham Gardens (A lot of the Pelham area I like), Morris Park, Woodlawn somewhat.

Staten Island -
Chillin' with my friends on Midland Beach.

Old 03-05-2018, 12:00 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,336,832 times
Neighborhoods:

Woodlawn. Learned to drink in a bar here. Cozy little spot that feels a million miles from Midtown.

Wakefield. I spent a lot of time here early in life so it is imprinted on me. In many ways, the intersection of White Plains Rd. and 241st is what "NYC" means to me even though it is technically about as far flung from the typical 'Empire State Building/Central Park' stereotype as can be.

The part of the Village my parents lived in.

Natural:

Bronx River. I grew up a block from the river so I am partial to the parts where it shines and still has a semblance of its natural state. That would be the Botanical Gardens and the Bronx Zoo.

Pelham Bay Park and Orchard Beach.

Far Rockaway. Took the subway all the way out there once (starting at GCS). It was a surreal experience crossing the city and seeing the ocean. The whole reason we went was because there was a hurricane off shore. The sky and waves were intense.

Culture:

Metropolitan Museum of Art is one of my favorite places. I am a history and art history buff, and I love the architecture. I still go at least once a year.

The Cloisters. Only went once when I was a freshman in High School, but it always stuck with me. It was a perfect late Spring day, cool and breezy and I felt like it was the top of the world.

Old 03-05-2018, 07:45 PM

620 posts, read 1,072,599 times
LES !!! Love how its old NYC and new NYC .. gritty yet high end, old school yet avant guard.

You see project tenants walking along hipsters and NY lifers... its great ! I love it .

Old 03-05-2018, 09:16 PM

7,903 posts, read 7,875,928 times
I like riverside drive. I haven’t decided where the cut off is tho

Old 03-05-2018, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popfizz View Post
LES !!! Love how its old NYC and new NYC .. gritty yet high end, old school yet avant guard.

You see project tenants walking along hipsters and NY lifers... its great ! I love it .
Understandable. God I miss that Pathmark on Cherry St

Old 03-05-2018, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Riverside Drive is nice but how's their rat problem at night???
As long as I don’t see em, we good ✌🏽

Old 03-06-2018, 07:10 AM

636 posts, read 610,947 times
Brooklyn Heights Promenade, Coney Island boardwalk, Union Square.

Old 03-07-2018, 06:50 AM

2,440 posts, read 4,833,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
I like some of the neighborhoods that have retained some of their original neighborhood feel with their own character.
Most are in the outer boroughs, but I also like in Manhattan:

Morningside Heights - I like that it has more character than the Upper West Side, the academic feel

In Queens:

I really like Forest Hills, because it feels so green and peaceful compared to most NYC neighborhoods

In Brooklyn (my favorite borough):

My favorite is the Kings Highway neighborhood in Midwood/Gravesend/Homecrest - I love the non-gentrified feel, the neighborhood looks similar today as it did 10 years ago, 20 years ago, 30 years ago, etc.
There are still lots of independent retailers (mostly not chain stores), I love the Middle Eastern atmosphere, thanks to the longtime Syrian Jewish community and a lot of Turkish residents and stores in the neighborhoo as well

I also really like Borough Park. Wow, what a unique neighborhood. It doesn't even feel like NYC. Happy chassidic music blares from storefronts, and people are pleasant and low-key/polite, and children walking by speak Yiddish.

In short, I do like a lot of the ethnic neighborhoods in NYC, and I look forward to exploring more of them!
This is a great list! (although I don’t care for any of those flatland Brooklyn neighborhoods; I like the brownstone belt, gentrified as it is). I’d add Washington Heights and the Inwood Hill/Isham Park section.

Old 03-07-2018, 07:44 PM

34,006 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellUpInHarlem View Post
As long as I don’t see em, we good ✌🏽
Yeah but they see you tho

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City