Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2018, 02:44 PM

1,063 posts, read 695,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC305 View Post
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/03/n...e=sectionfront

Driver charged with manslaughter. Doctors told her to not drive on three separate occasions due to her health condition.
Unwilling or unable to adjust lifestyle to not involve driving. Personally I don't need to drive anywhere but then again I have a skill set where I have a certain job not requiring me to drive anywhere.

Public funds should be used to ensure these people can obtain employment that is not contingent upon putting other people's lives in danger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2018, 03:05 PM

2,603 posts, read 3,398,438 times
2 children died because this selfish POS got behind a wheel when she was told numerous times not to. And now what, a few years behind bars and she'll soon be out. Most likely do it again. When will parents be brave and do the right thing? If I was a parent of one of these children I'd find this woman and end her life. I don't care if it was an accidental or a mistake. You take someones life and yours gets taken away, especially when it's children. Just keep letting this happen cowardly parents.

Old 05-06-2018, 10:14 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,048,523 times
The world has a lot more kids.

Old 05-06-2018, 06:23 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,706,007 times
What's retarded is now some busybody council members want to double the number of speeding cameras in the streets. Uh hello?? The woman who killed these two kids had a pile of speeding cam violations, do you think it stopped her from plowing into the kids? The cams do NOTHING except raise money for the government. If they wanted to actually slow cars there would be giant signs saying SPEEDING CAMERA HERE which would 100% stop the speeding. Instead they hide the cams so they can keep taxing unknowing drivers

Old 05-06-2018, 06:51 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,680,578 times
The driver also has a doctor's note about her seizure condition so it wasn't on purpose that she "occasionally" speeds through red lights.

Old 05-06-2018, 11:19 PM

30,612 posts, read 18,187,363 times
Look, I get that people are upset and I mourn for the children who lost their lives that day. But this is a shame of a prosecution and a huge waste of taxpayer money as the driver will never be convicted. The prosecution's theory is that the driver was reckless in disregarding her doctor's advice not to drive. However, the driver also has a more recent note from her doctors clearing her for work; she can't do her job without driving, so she'll argue that she was cleared to drive by her driver. In any event, there is ample reasonable doubt (via the letter) that the driver was reckless. Still, if I was the driver, I'd request a bench trial as the public is out for blood and I wouldn't trust them as members of the jury.

Old 05-07-2018, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Look, I get that people are upset and I mourn for the children who lost their lives that day. But this is a shame of a prosecution and a huge waste of taxpayer money as the driver will never be convicted. The prosecution's theory is that the driver was reckless in disregarding her doctor's advice not to drive. However, the driver also has a more recent note from her doctors clearing her for work; she can't do her job without driving, so she'll argue that she was cleared to drive by her driver. In any event, there is ample reasonable doubt (via the letter) that the driver was reckless. Still, if I was the driver, I'd request a bench trial as the public is out for blood and I wouldn't trust them as members of the jury.
They are making an example out of her so that other people with a medical condition think twice before getting behind the wheel

The victim's family will still be able to sue for big money

Old 05-07-2018, 07:53 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,048,523 times
I have a friend who has epilepsy. He could not get a driver;s license in NY until his doctor testified that he had been seizure free for twenty years.

Old 05-08-2018, 08:27 PM

30,612 posts, read 18,187,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
They are making an example out of her so that other people with a medical condition think twice before getting behind the wheel

The victim's family will still be able to sue for big money
They'll be able to win some money, even if only from the insurance company. But, given her doctor's note, the theories that would gain them big bucks likely won't hold up even in a civil case where the burden of proof is lowered.

Old 05-09-2018, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
They'll be able to win some money, even if only from the insurance company. But, given her doctor's note, the theories that would gain them big bucks likely won't hold up even in a civil case where the burden of proof is lowered.
Some? Huge - that doctor's note is the smoking gun she's basically guilty before the rial starts
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: