Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2018, 11:05 AM

245 posts, read 236,419 times

Advertisements

I will be in Connecticut next week visiting my son who lives at the Navy Base in Groton Conn. I live in Texas and have never been to NYC. I will have a free day to come to New York. What are the top must see attractions for out of towners. We will have a car rental. Is it advisable to drive to NYC. Where do you park. Is it easy to get around to see attractions and how would you recommend doing that. I have zero knowledge about NY other than what I see on Tv or have read. Please advise me the best way to go about this and what to see on a day trip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2018, 11:24 AM

377 posts, read 509,483 times
Depending on the weather, you may want to visit Central Park. If you do, you should also pay a visit to The Frick Collection (a hidden gem of a museum) located on E. 70th st. right across the street from Central Park. In any event, I hope you enjoy your visit.

Old 03-09-2018, 11:27 AM

4,773 posts, read 6,571,114 times
Leave the car in Connecticut and take MetroNorth to Grand Central Terminal. You can start your sightseeing right there!

Old 03-09-2018, 11:33 AM

3,402 posts, read 3,576,183 times
I say drive to Long Island City, and look for a place to park your car, then take the closest train station into Manhattan. Go visit Empire State Building or the One World Trade Center. You only have 1 days, so might as well make the time worth it.

Old 03-09-2018, 11:42 AM

245 posts, read 236,419 times
My rough plan is to see Statue of Liberty, 9/11 memorial, then hit up either a Broadway musical or met opera house for wife. Is this doable in one day. How hard are tickets to get. Totally open to other ideas though.

Old 03-09-2018, 11:49 AM

3,402 posts, read 3,576,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NBTX11 View Post
My rough plan is to see Statue of Liberty, 9/11 memorial, then hit up either a Broadway musical or met opera house for wife. Is this doable in one day. How hard are tickets to get. Totally open to other ideas though.
Statue of liberty and 9/11 memorial is possible, but I am not sure about Broadway musical and met opera house for wife. You may want to search online and see if you can reserve a ticket. Once you have a time for Broadway or met opera house, then you can plan your schedule accordingly.

Old 03-09-2018, 12:12 PM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NBTX11 View Post
The Statue of Liberty visit is very time consuming (up to half a day) for a day visit to NYC. I suggest instead you take the free Staten Island ferry which gives one a great view & photo opportunity of the Statue of Liberty.

If you want to do the Met Opera House you could probably combine that with a visit to Central Park. Also a visit to the NY Historical Society which is also on the west side of Central Park might be doable as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City