Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2018, 09:11 AM

1,871 posts, read 4,264,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Welp the pilot is nice and safe! No problem there, he knew to unbuckle his harness and climb ON TOP of the chopper to stay warm and dry while his passengers were left to fend for themselves below.

The guy obviously knew those people were strapped into their tomb and would either drown or freeze to death. This genuine hero would not dare risk his safety for these scrubs. Honorable man of the year!!

Reminds me of the A-hole captain of the Costa Concordia cruise ship who was the first guy on the life raft while his boat sank with everybody on board, never mind that the ship ran aground because he was busy partying
From what I've read, it took the divers some time to free the passengers from their harnesses. It doesn't sound realistic that the pilot, without a wetsuit or oxygen tank, could have freed them any sooner.

It seems like you are suggesting that since it wasn't fair that he survived and they didn't, that upon learning he was the only one to make it out of the helicopter that he should have immediately gone on a suicide mission. I wonder if you would have done that?

What may be the case is that the aircraft harnesses need to be redesigned so that they can released quickly and easily. A feature intended for safety shouldn't be killing people in an emergency.

Last edited by barkomatic; 03-12-2018 at 09:47 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2018, 09:25 AM

8,935 posts, read 4,759,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 92 LSC View Post
Why would they not unbuckle and try to escape once the blades stoped spinning?? I dont get it. It was a soft crash, did they get knocked out from that??
The harness straps you in pretty tightly. It's not like the safety belts in cars that you can just release.

Old 03-12-2018, 09:44 AM

2,691 posts, read 4,328,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 92 LSC View Post
When you have kids at home and you crash a chopper, you think for yourself. That right there is a survivor. Ill take that any day over being dead and called a hero while my kids grow up without a kid.
It’s interesting how people who are not in a situation immediately place blame on survivors for not risking their own lives to save others. Was he only thinking of saving himself or was he thinking about his wife and kids and thus he needed to survive for their wellbeing? Unless you are in a profession where you are expected to be a hero, there is nothing wrong with saving yourself - especially if you have family that depend on you for their survival.

Old 03-12-2018, 09:55 AM

5,803 posts, read 2,930,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
It’s interesting how people who are not in a situation immediately place blame on survivors for not risking their own lives to save others. Was he only thinking of saving himself or was he thinking about his wife and kids and thus he needed to survive for their wellbeing? Unless you are in a profession where you are expected to be a hero, there is nothing wrong with saving yourself - especially if you have family that depend on you for their survival.

Exactly. The chopper went under water real fast too. Its not like the pilot got out and sat on a floating vessel puffing away on a Nat Sherman while the passengers were getting cozy with the marine life of the river.

Its an accident. Tragic one. I heard over the radio that the pilot said that one of the passengers kicked the fuel cut off switch with his bag.

Old 03-12-2018, 09:57 AM

5,803 posts, read 2,930,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
The harness straps you in pretty tightly. It's not like the safety belts in cars that you can just release.
Tat explains it. Is there no emergency release? I would think the pilot would have the release button for all the belts? I guess not.

Old 03-12-2018, 11:06 AM

5,099 posts, read 4,959,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liliya47 View Post
With that been said, maybe the time to ban cars also?! How many people killed every day?!

Factor in the number of car rides compared to heli rides...and further that pilots are a selected group of drivers that have to pass rigid licensing process...and that there are ground traffic control services dedicated to guiding and supporting flying objects, while nothing for cars...after considering all these, it is reasonable to translate each air accident into 10 million car accidents.

it is not just the killing that is problematic with this city heli rides; it is the constant deafening NOISE that disrupts residents' rights of peace and enjoyment living and working in the area.

Augmented reality is an 100% alternative to replace this harmful and outdated of skyviewing practice in the city in the 21st century.

Old 03-12-2018, 11:09 AM

18,462 posts, read 31,617,011 times
Quote:
With that been said, maybe the time to ban cars also?! How many people killed every day?!

we need cars, we DONT need tourist helicopters, (of course there's always some poster to say something like that)

we dont need tourist helicopters and I have been saying this for years.

now, i also thought tourist helicopters were banned from flying on sundays?

and the tourist helicopters fly over the harbor, up the hudson and back down.
so this one was on the east side, maybe it wasnt a torurist helicopter? so im a littl confused on that.

tourist helicopters are unsafe, we have seen and heard of numerous accidents for years already, when is it going to take this mayor to ban them once and for all????????????????????

they are noisey and disruptive to anyone living along the waterfront, and the are ruining all out great waterfront parks by the constant buzzing of flying up and down the hudson. govenors island is ruined by the constant sound of the choppers, at least we got Sundays free of that.

so i for one think they should have been banned years ago, like guiliani did for quality of liofe issues, unfortunetely bloomie re instated them, the ass that he ias.

Old 03-12-2018, 11:40 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,708,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barkomatic View Post
From what I've read, it took the divers some time to free the passengers from their harnesses
Right, because by the time they understood what was happening in the situation it was too late to unbuckle. The pilot knew exactly the situation and he unbuckled the harness before the chopper flipped. He was going to jump out of that bird mid air if he had to, one way or another he was getting out. Passengers did not compute in his equation, before or after

Old 03-12-2018, 12:16 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,336,832 times
Quote:
Yeah, but he main purpose of a helicoter is to kill tourists.

Wait. I think I am confusing my arguments.

Old 03-12-2018, 12:19 PM

19,027 posts, read 13,937,683 times
Having spent countless hours riding in helicopters, often with the doors wide open, I don't understand how these people went down with the bird unless the harnesses were faulty.

Helicopters typically use 8pt harnesses which are EASILY released with a simple twist of a dial. Furthermore, apparently this helicopter was chartered for an open-doors flight. With the doors open, and that relatively slow descent we see on the video, there's no reason those passengers shouldn't have been able to get out.

If they all died of hypothermia, I get it, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Something strange going on here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City