Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2018, 03:01 PM

18,359 posts, read 31,435,589 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Yes, I too was wondering about that. How could cutting the harness be the only way to free oneself in an emergency be acceptable?!

so does that mean that everyone riding a helicopter must carry a machete with them?

something is way off on this .

but I still think all these tourist helicopters need to be banned once and for all, seriously, how many more people have to die because of greed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2018, 03:18 PM

18,832 posts, read 13,720,110 times
No one forced the deceased to ride the helicopters. It’s not “greed”. There’s obviously a market for tourist helicopter rides. We live in a scenic city. They aren’t going anywhere.

20,550 posts, read 17,497,336 times
The interesting thing here is that 2 of the passengers are the company workers. Not sure if they were there to assist or just getting a free ride. From reading other posts most frequent fliers would always go in pairs so that in case crap happens. They can cut each other's harness.

In this case, the passengers were probably told that the helicopter would float then no need to panic or attempt to cut the harness.

I would never ride a helicopter that knowing my chance of survival is next to zero if it was going down. I would rather have the ability jump quickly and have option of carrying a personal floatation device or parachute neither of these options are available.

Very scary scenario these poor people died in less than a minute while the pilot got out of his seat quickly and held on.

8,080 posts, read 6,680,407 times
I once saw a helicopter fly underneath the Verranzano bridge. I’m not quite sure they are allowed to do that?

Old 03-13-2018, 03:29 PM

I’ve flown under a few bridges overseas.

Helicopters are far more safe than small planes as they can controlled land almost everywhere. In this case, the landing was a joke if not over water. Small plane crashes are rarely survivable because the pilot still needs a clear enough space to act as a runway.

Old 03-13-2018, 07:56 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,811,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
No one forced the deceased to ride the helicopters. It’s not “greed”. There’s obviously a market for tourist helicopter rides. We live in a scenic city. They aren’t going anywhere.
It’s not about whether someone forced the tourists to ride the helicopters. Having people strap themselves in harnesses that they cannot escape definitely places both the company and the manufacturer at fault.

Not to me but flotation devices. And the pilot apparently not warning his passengers doesn’t help. If an investigation finds out error in his part caused the crash, there’s even more legal liability.

There’s nothing wrong with helicopters. There’s something very wrong with this particular company.

Old 03-13-2018, 08:53 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,602,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
There’s nothing wrong with helicopters. There’s something very wrong with this particular company.
Yeah they are definitely getting hauled into court and will be on the hook for major damages

Old 03-13-2018, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
It’s not about whether someone forced the tourists to ride the helicopters. Having people strap themselves in harnesses that they cannot escape definitely places both the company and the manufacturer at fault.

Not to me but flotation devices. And the pilot apparently not warning his passengers doesn’t help. If an investigation finds out error in his part caused the crash, there’s even more legal liability.

Please take my comment in the context of the one I was responding to. I never said the company won’t be liable.

Old 03-13-2018, 10:47 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,497,336 times
Family of videojournalist killed in helicopter crash files suit - NY Daily News

1st lawsuit filed, gross negligence and recklessness.

Old 03-13-2018, 10:52 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,602,857 times
so now everybody wants to ban heli-tours, talk about knee jerk reactions. Never mind that the drone taxi market is about to take off (no pun intended). Sergi of google recently test flew his drone taxis in New Zealand. They are coming, hope the gov't isn't going to stand in their way. The key is good safety measures and corporate policies
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City