Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2018, 07:35 PM

23 posts, read 33,913 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I'm looking to purchase a co-op in Riverdale. The unit has nice floors, somewhat contemporary kitchen (with light fixtures) and a new bathroom (with light fixtures). But...the living room nor the bedroom have light fixtures. I have no idea how the current owners dealt with their lighting but it looks like i will need to get some work done.

Do you think the co-op board will allow me to install light fixtures? If so, how complicated will it be to have an electrician to install the fixtures? The unit does have light switches in the living room and bedroom...

I won't disclose this to the baord when I have the board interview but what can I do about the lighting if it's not allowed? I don't want several lamps throughout my apartment since its light can only reach so far...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2018, 07:51 PM

104 posts, read 102,477 times
In old buildings it’s somewhat common to not have light fixtures on the ceiling, and room lighting is supplied via floor lamps.

I’m confident this modification is allowed, but I’m sure there is a licensed electrician only clause in the by-laws.

The electrician will have to run a BX (armored) cable from an existing source of electricity (outlet, switch), to the ceiling fixture. It’ll require at least two holes in the ceiling to be made, or a full 12-18” strip to be cut out depending on the direction of the beams.

Old 03-26-2018, 04:25 AM

387 posts, read 558,775 times
Hey

I recently moved in to an apartment without ceiling lights in the bedroom and livingroom as well. I asked if I was allowed to install ceiling lights and was approved by the resident manager but I did not get it hardwired, I converted a ceiling fixture into a plug in, which was super easy. The wire goes across the ceiling, down the wall and into an outlet that’s connected to a wall switch.

Maybe that can be an option for you. And if you ever decide to sell, you can easily patch up the 2-3 holes in the ceiling.

Old 03-26-2018, 07:10 AM

3,861 posts, read 3,149,628 times
To properly add a light fixture, it involves running lines behind the wall and ceiling.

So, if you have a pre-war apartment, with plaster walls, patchwork will be needed.

Now, a tall lamp will give enough lighting. You can pick up 2 or 3 lamps at home Depot, for about $40 a piece, or turn the apartment into a construction zone and pay for a licensed contractor.

Old 03-26-2018, 07:36 AM

1,209 posts, read 2,928,168 times
Install some nice track lighting and be on your way...

Old 03-26-2018, 08:56 AM

4,769 posts, read 6,558,555 times
I agree with the track lighting suggestion, although that installation would be fairly involved also, if done right.

I'm surprised people here are fans of overhead lighting. I don't have it in my apartment and don't miss it. It's so harsh and unflattering. I do have a light on my ceiling fan that I turn on a couple of times a year. I love lamps and especially sconces.

Old 03-26-2018, 09:16 AM

28 posts, read 44,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapikap View Post
To properly add a light fixture, it involves running lines behind the wall and ceiling.

So, if you have a pre-war apartment, with plaster walls, patchwork will be needed.

Now, a tall lamp will give enough lighting. You can pick up 2 or 3 lamps at home Depot, for about $40 a piece, or turn the apartment into a construction zone and pay for a licensed contractor.

Couldn't have said it better. Don't know how it works in NY state but wouldn't be surprised if it is mandatory to have a ticketed electrician (or apprentice) do the work.

I have lived in a few places where light fixtures are absent in certain rooms. Kind of sucks ... but we found one nice LED spider light ($180 or so in Canada) illuminates the entire living room very nicely. If you have enough money for an electrical contractor, you've got more than enough for some really nice lamps.

Old 03-26-2018, 09:19 AM

387 posts, read 558,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
I agree with the track lighting suggestion, although that installation would be fairly involved also, if done right.

I'm surprised people here are fans of overhead lighting. I don't have it in my apartment and don't miss it. It's so harsh and unflattering. I do have a light on my ceiling fan that I turn on a couple of times a year. I love lamps and especially sconces.
Funny you say that because I'm the complete opposite - I have a lamp in my living room that I absolutely hate (it's pretty to look at but that's about it) but it's not growing on me at all.

Old 03-26-2018, 09:38 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,555,912 times
Overhead lighting - ugh. Unless you need bright lighting for some reason its generally not used so much any more by most people. Its fine in business and commercial areas, labs and hospitals etc but not really something for a relaxing house.

Old 03-26-2018, 09:56 AM

18,467 posts, read 31,621,245 times
It is perfectly normal for bedrooms and living rooms to not have overhead lighting. people use lamps.
Im older building, such as mine, we do have overhead lighting in the bedroom and living room, but i have track lights that i had installed decades ago, but never use them. i like the look of a lamp better.

I actually wish i could have all my overhead lighting disconnected nd plastered over, but that isnt happening any time soon, if ever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City