Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2018, 03:18 PM

36,957 posts, read 38,958,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
No matter what anyone's personal opinion is, Italy is ranked first in most surveys. More so than any other country. It is not ranked first for me, but I cannot speak for everyone. Mexico never takes the top rank in any of the surveys I've seen, but it does consistently make the list.
That might be true, but probably not. A poll that's polling only specific parts of the world might have Italy come out on top more often than not, but you're probably talking about English-language polls based in a handful of countries. That's totally reasonable.

A poll of the world is unlikely to have Italy on the top by just raw numbers unless you did something like "most number of countries that rank Italy as having the best national cuisine" and didn't weight for number of people, then that might work out.

It's great that Italian cuisine has so much traction in some fairly specific polls with a limited base. However, there is almost certainly not going to be an absolute majority of people who think Italian is the best national cuisine in this city, in this country, or on this planet as a whole. Italian is great and has spread quite far as far as cuisines go though.

Since the question the OP asked wasn't what anyone thinks is the best individual neighborhood for food based on consumer polls, but more on what you, the individual poster, thinks is best, then I'm not sure what the point is.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 03-19-2018 at 03:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2018, 03:22 PM

12,742 posts, read 8,189,322 times
Quote:
No matter what anyone's personal opinion is, Italy is ranked first in most surveys. More so than any other country. It is not ranked first for me, but I cannot speak for everyone. Mexico never takes the top rank in any of the surveys I've seen, but it does consistently make the list.
Italy is ranked 1st and should be because the cuisine focuses on letting each ingredient shine and getting high quality ingredients. It always amazes me when I go to quality Italian places (not Italian-American - completely different entirely) in NYC. As much as they try to replicate the taste you would get in Italy of certain dishes, it comes close but it isn't the same. It says a lot about the quality that you find there. Second for me is French cuisine. There's a level of sophistication and elegance that makes the dishes decadent. I've had some of my finest meals in French restaurants, and not to mention both cuisines have KILLER pastries. I can never eat enough éclairs, madelines, cantuccini, amaretti, cassata siciliana and so on. Italian gelato is the best around. I miss those afternoon strolls at the gelateria roaming down some street in Firenze or Roma eating with a tiny little "spoon" with a cup of gelato.

Old 03-19-2018, 03:25 PM

36,957 posts, read 38,958,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
It's hard to rank something as subjective as food, but here it is

https://www.thetoptens.com/countries...the-best-food/
https://www.usnews.com/news/best-cou...-by-perception
The 30 Best Countries For Food

You're right that Italy is usually number one, but Mexico makes plenty of top-5 lists. Italy, France, Mexico, Thailand, Japan, India, and China seem to be regularly in the top 5

Also personally I think these lists are too biased towards Europe. Cuisines in the Western Hemisphere, including the US, don't tend to be represented enough
Yea, it's usually a horse race among those seven. Spanish cuisine in recent years has been increasingly acclaimed. That last link with Argentina as number 2 is great, because I've always wanted gout.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 03-19-2018 at 03:35 PM..

Old 03-19-2018, 03:35 PM

11,556 posts, read 9,279,406 times
Quote:
My personal top 5 ranking would be:
France
Japan
China
Italy
Thailand

Mexico would fall somewhere between 6 - 10 for me. I eat Mexican often. My point was that a Latin only neighborhood could never top the list of neighborhoods with best food unless it also had European or Asian cuisine. While a European or Asian neighborhood could do it without Latin food.
My personal top 10 would be

Thailand
Mexico
Italy
China
Japan
Peru
Turkey
India
France
Malaysia

A neighborhood of Asian food is definitely much better than one with just Latin food. Which is what makes Flushing so special

Old 03-19-2018, 03:42 PM

12,742 posts, read 8,189,322 times
My top five:

Italy
French
Belgium
Spain
Greece

Old 03-19-2018, 04:37 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,261,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
My top five:

Italy
French
Belgium
Spain
Greece
You forgot Mexican.

Old 03-19-2018, 04:39 PM

Quote:
My personal top 10 would be

Thailand
Mexico
Italy
China
Japan
Peru
Turkey
India
France
Malaysia

A neighborhood of Asian food is definitely much better than one with just Latin food. Which is what makes Flushing so special
A neighborhood with just Asian food is better than one with just Latin food. Latin food would be better in this city if the restaurants were better, but most serve dry meat.

Old 03-19-2018, 05:04 PM

Quote:
A neighborhood with just Asian food is better than one with just Latin food. Latin food would be better in this city if the restaurants were better, but most serve dry meat.
Also Asian cuisines are just better overall. I feel like Latin American cuisine is dominated mostly by Mexican, Peruvian, and to a smaller degree Brazilian or Venezuelan. Aside from those four countries, the cuisine in the region is just mehhh. On the other hand I could never get bored of Thai, Malaysian, Chinese, Japanese, etc

Old 03-19-2018, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Also Asian cuisines are just better overall. I feel like Latin American cuisine is dominated mostly by Mexican, Peruvian, and to a smaller degree Brazilian or Venezuelan. Aside from those four countries, the cuisine in the region is just mehhh. On the other hand I could never get bored of Thai, Malaysian, Chinese, Japanese, etc
Cuban could be okay too if they could just consistently cook pork right. But even fried and roasted pork, Asians do that better too.

Old 03-19-2018, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Cuban could be okay too if they could just consistently cook pork right. But even fried and roasted pork, Asians do that better too.
Not many Cuban options here in Queens. What I like about Asian cuisines is the infusion of different spices, which you don't get in most parts of Latin America. You can go to an Asian restaurant knowing that the food will be spicy and flavorful, while with Latin food a lot of it is just starch, sometimes really flavorless. Argentina, Colombia, Dominican Republic, and Chile are notorious for being really spice-resistant; if you go to those countries it feels like everyone is allergic to spice. Kinda sad. I think a cuisine needs to have spice and flavor in order to be considered great
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City