Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2018, 07:22 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,073,996 times

Advertisements

One of the reason I gave away the bikes was a couple of experiences where I was going the right way in a bike lane and a biker approached me going the wrong way. I go left, he goes to his right, I go right HE goes left...or we both go straight

I read the handwriting on the wall and realized that one of these games of chicken was going to put me into a hospital after a collision, with me with a broken arm covered in Lo Mein.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2018, 09:27 AM

31,909 posts, read 26,970,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
One of the reason I gave away the bikes was a couple of experiences where I was going the right way in a bike lane and a biker approached me going the wrong way. I go left, he goes to his right, I go right HE goes left...or we both go straight

I read the handwriting on the wall and realized that one of these games of chicken was going to put me into a hospital after a collision, with me with a broken arm covered in Lo Mein.

Though often ignored bikers like anyone else using the drives in Central Park are supposed to follow traffic patterns; that is go north on the North Drive, and south on South Drive.

Starting in the mid-1990's or so after a series of accidents city/NYPD began cracking down and issuing tickets to bikers going the "wrong way".

Many people riding bikes simply do not see going against traffic anywhere or whatever as a problem, and or are ignorant of the laws.

Old 03-16-2018, 11:42 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,353,110 times
Bike lanes are oneway, the direction of auto traffic.

Personally, I think bike lanes are more danger than they are worth. Vehicular cycling is safer when the cyclist simply stays as far right as practical, and takes the lane when neccessary to prevent getting hooked at an intersection, or to make their way to a left turn.

The only time dedicated bicycle lanes are worthwhile is when there is sufficient density of bicycles to warrant a full sized lane (and this simply doesn't happen in most cities, much less, NYC) or dedicated bike paths away from auto traffic.

If a street is deemed still too dangerous, find an alternate route.

And bicycles should never be ridden on sidewalks. If you need to get off the street, walk your bike on the sidewalk until you reach a block or street you can ride on.

Old 03-16-2018, 11:56 AM

11,199 posts, read 9,083,522 times
They should be arrow pointing of the direction that they should go although it should be common sense that they should follow traffic i see a lot of people doing the opposite.

Old 03-16-2018, 12:21 PM

575 posts, read 672,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
And bicycles should never be ridden on sidewalks. If you need to get off the street, walk your bike on the sidewalk until you reach a block or street you can ride on.
What a novel concept but is rarely seen.

After I started this thread I was walking and made a right. With no warning a biker behind me, who I had not seen or heard, made the same right and nearly clipped me. All I could do was scream “WTF DUDE?” & he was gone. This was on a 2 way street in Williamsburg. Idiot.

Old 03-16-2018, 12:58 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,717,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Bike lanes are oneway, the direction of auto traffic.
Is this based on your industrial planner ambitions?

It's not the case, there are plenty of two way bike lanes. The ones on West street are more or less self contained, but ones like on Kent Street in Brooklyn are two way even though the car traffic is one way. So you have people stepping into the street EVERY SINGLE DAY & HOUR on a pedestrian red light and almost getting run over by a bike because they didn't look the other way

Old 03-16-2018, 06:03 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,701,807 times
Sometimes I'm crossing the street with a walk light and all of a sudden a bike dude on the opposite just dashes through regardless whether are people are crossing and make no attempt to stop at all as long as they don't see a lot of pedestrians they were gonna go through thinking people will move out the way.

Some of the bikers were just straight up bullies if they know it's another dude they don't care but if it's a woman they stop.

Old 03-16-2018, 06:53 PM

14,055 posts, read 13,934,018 times
Bikes lanes are annoying

Old 03-18-2018, 06:06 AM

3,570 posts, read 3,757,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Law is clear and has been for ages; cyclists are required to follow the same traffic rules as motor vehicles. Thus if a street or avenue is one way, those on bikes are supposed to only go with the flow of traffic, not against.

As we all know a majority of those on bikes from kids to adults routinely ignore this law either out of ignorance or whatever.

LE can and has stopped cyclists going the "wrong way" and issued tickets if not confiscating the bike as well, but problem is so large and NYPD cannot be everywhere.

It is also illegal to ride one's bike on sidewalks, but everyone does that as well.
Have seen plenty of UES men and women yell at delivery guys "get off the side walk", but then they themselves will ride against traffic on a one way street *and* on the sidewalk to get where they are going. That is no one going to say Central Park an lives on an east bound traffic street is going to walk their bike to Fifth avenue or go around the block to a west bound street.
It's a tricky thing for cyclists and its largely due to motorists. You have to have nerves of steel to ride in traffic in NYC. Motorists have no respect for the vulnerability posed on a bicyclist. They wizz by really fast, they ride to close, the open their doors without looking to see if someone is quickly approaching. Riding a bike has all the same hazards as driving a car except that you don't have a ton of steel around you to protect your life and limb.

My personal situation is precarious. I take my daughter out who is a barely competent biker. (I'm only moderately competent with using the breaks myself.) She is 12. She would ride on the sidewalk, I would have to pay attention to not only everyone on the road, but what was going on with her on the sidewalk. It got to the point that I refused to take her out unless it was very early when there was less traffic. I'm not sure what I'm gonna due now that she is approaching 13. She is by no way ready to ride in traffic. It would be a danger to everyone; especially to her. But legally she isn't allowed to ride on the sidewalk.

Old 03-18-2018, 06:28 AM

575 posts, read 672,423 times
Default Is it true that stealing a bicycle is no longer a crime?

A friend in Brooklyn owns a small restaurant that offers home delivery. (Not Asian owners, menu or delivery guys, for those of you who referred to this on my recent bike lane thread.)

A few days ago, one of the delivery guys, who bought an electric bike, pulled up to the restaurant the other day, parked his bike on the sidewalk, ran in to,pick up an order, came out and NO BIKE. In and out in less than a minute according to the owner/friend.

I ran into my friend yesterday, while walking my almost 3yr old twin grands, (sorry, I had to throw that in here-LOL) and asked if the guy got his bike back. The answer was No, and that he wouldn’t, as His Honor Billy D, got something passed that stealing a bike is no longer a crime and the police would no, longer make a report, or investigate. I find this absurd and wonder if it I’d possibly true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: