Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2018, 06:36 AM

11,192 posts, read 9,017,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TotalKaos View Post
Nice CYA

Your post that raised my suspicions said “He worked in finance.”

Now he became “a top level executive.”

How convenient of you to change the wording to suit your story. But it’s a classic example of assuming facts not in evidence.
I stated he worked in finance. I didn't state his position. I didn't change the wording i provided more facts. You were the one that was trying to prove me wrong with your Expedia research without asking more question on the NPR story.

Super-Commuting is not something that i can come with. I provided more examples of air commuting. Did you read the article and watch the youtube videos on super commuting and air commuting??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2018, 06:54 AM

1,952 posts, read 1,286,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TotalKaos View Post
It’s a tough call, but this could possibly be the dumbest/most ridiculous/unbelievable comment you have ever posted.

I checked to see if this even possible, looking for flights that would leave Orlando, for example, early enough to arrive at LGA, 6:00 am-8:31am, to commute to Midtown by 9:00 am and depart after the end of work day 5pm, 7:29 pm-10:32 pm and allow a commute back to LGA, say 30 minutes. You would have to allow arriving 2 hours before each flight, but say you could get away with 90 minutes. And the NPA Finance Guru would need say 20 minutes to commute each way in Orlando.

The earliest outbound flight I find on Expedia leaves ar 6:00 am & arrives at 8:31 am. Time 2:31
Return 7:29 pm - 10:32 pm. 3:03
Orlando commute :40
NYC commute. 1:00
90 minute arrival before each flight. 3:00
TOTAL TRAVEL TIME 10:14

TIME TO LEAVE HOME AND RETURN HOME ON THIS ITINERARY 3:20 am - 10:52 pm. Time at home 4 hrs, 28 min.
YOU DO THE MATH. IT CANT BE DONE WERE MR NPU FINANCE GURU COMMUNTED FROM ORLANDO.

Sorry Mr Ryu, but I have to call Total BS on this comment.

I have done one day round trips to Florida. If you aren't checking bags you can check in prior and print your boarding pass. You only need 45 mins to get through security if its an airport without long tsa lines. Airlines recommend arriving at the gate a minimum 15 mins before departure.
Even when I fly international I don't arrive 2hrs prior. Check in and pre print your boarding pass, curb side bag drop (minimum one hr prior to flight, carry on preferably).

TSA pre-check gets u through security in under 30 mins.

Old 03-19-2018, 08:00 AM

8,625 posts, read 10,999,656 times
these articles are silly and almost stupid. Statistics can easily be skewed to fit their story.

Old 03-19-2018, 08:15 AM

1,040 posts, read 1,257,276 times
Interesting that Singapore is considered the most expensive since one of our guys just moved over there and the company lowered his salary to match the COL there and he said he still is able to stretch his pay far more than he did here in NYC, and he lived in Queens.

Old 03-19-2018, 08:20 AM

5,427 posts, read 5,659,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruready4Bklyn View Post
Interesting that Singapore is considered the most expensive since one of our guys just moved over there and the company lowered his salary to match the COL there and he said he still is able to stretch his pay far more than he did here in NYC, and he lived in Queens.
Take that chart with a big grain of salt. I've been to both Seoul and Tokyo, and Tokyo is easily 40% more expensive than Seoul.
Also, those European cities do have ghettoes. Not as many as NYC, but they do have Muslim ghettoes (which imo are worse than American ghettoes).

Old 03-19-2018, 09:17 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,596,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgr555 View Post
wait what seoul more expensive than tokyo? this cant be right
Yeah, I was about to say.

Also, expensive is expensive. $2k rent isn't exactly what many would consider cheap or affordable. You can get 500yen/mo in Tokyo, but if you thought NYC was bad with space, oh boy. The smallest I've seen was 130sq ft roughly! At least they get a tiny balcony to smoke and hang laundry on.

Old 03-19-2018, 09:34 AM

16,200 posts, read 22,952,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
It might not be an apples to apples comparison. NYC has ghettos and hoods that bring down the average. Some of those other cities don’t have Bushwicks and South Bronxes.
Hong Kong used to have Kowloon. It was one dirtiest and most crowded place on earth. I'm sure please poverty pockets still exist in Hong Kong. Also some of these cities have higher quality of life index compared to NYC.

Old 03-19-2018, 09:40 AM

5,427 posts, read 5,659,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javawood View Post
Yeah, I was about to say.

Also, expensive is expensive. $2k rent isn't exactly what many would consider cheap or affordable. You can get 500yen/mo in Tokyo, but if you thought NYC was bad with space, oh boy. The smallest I've seen was 130sq ft roughly! At least they get a tiny balcony to smoke and hang laundry on.
I think Hong Kong is even worse. Singapore might be up there too.

Old 03-19-2018, 09:57 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,541,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
One of my bosses commutes 2 hours from New Jersey. He could totally afford to live in Queens but he chooses not to.
Same could be said of folks that work in NJ and commutes all the way from Queens or LI. They could afford to but have personal reasons not to.

Old 03-19-2018, 10:06 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,596,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
I think Hong Kong is even worse. Singapore might be up there too.
I've heard. Some shared apartments get to the point where the beds are built on the wall like bunk beds. I haven't been though. Would have loved to see Kowloon, but alas I was born in the wrong time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City