Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2018, 05:20 AM

2 posts, read 3,744 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are soon moving to NYC from Belgium, and are looking for housing advice for our specific situation.

The last three years we have made less than $65,000 total (per year), allowing us to fit most coop income restrictions...should we choose to buy. Over the past 10 years, we've managed to save considerably -- about $350,000 in non-retirement funds, which we intend to use to start over in NYC. I have family in the area, and the job prospects + shortish distance to her family in Europe means we intend to stay there for many years.

There are many 2 bedroom HDFC coops for sale in Brooklyn (near Williamsburg Bridge) and South Harlem, in which the mortgage+maintenance fee would be around $2,000-$2,200 / month, after putting $150-$200k down up-front. This is equal to the monthly rent of a 1bedroom in similar locations with favorable commute times.

We hope to have a kid in about 5 years, and I think it makes sense to buy a 2 bedroom HDFC coop now in anticipation of this event. I'll be attending grad school (free via GI Bill, +$4,000/month living stipend), and I don't foresee it being too difficult for my spouse to find a job in an architecture office making around 40-50k/year.

Given the standard flip tax and sublet rules, we wouldn't intend to think of this as an investment, but as a place to live for at least the next 10-15 years while we start a family. Assuming we find an HDFC coop whose building has solid financials...is this a no-brainer? Am I overlooking anything which might make renting a better option? What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance for any and all advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2018, 09:24 AM

34,088 posts, read 47,285,846 times
Downsides:

Many HDFC's are not turn-key. You most likely will have to renovate, and this is why they are so cheap.

Many HDFC buildings just so happen to not have elevators....may be an issue for the elderly.

Many HDFC buildings are usually on some really crappy blocks in general. If you're used to living in the hood this is a non-issue however.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 02-04-2018, 10:26 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,130,025 times
You could also look into sponsor units in coops anywhere in the city. A sponsor apartment means you do not have to go through board approval, so you could just make your large downpayment and get a mortgage secured and you'd be good to go.

https://newyork.craigslist.org/searc...date=all+dates

Old 02-04-2018, 12:32 PM

37,141 posts, read 39,394,719 times
Do HDFC coops not have any requirements in already being a New York resident for a certain amount of time first?

Old 02-04-2018, 12:51 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,075,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Downsides:

Many HDFC's are not turn-key. You most likely will have to renovate, and this is why they are so cheap.

Many HDFC buildings just so happen to not have elevators....may be an issue for the elderly.

Many HDFC buildings are usually on some really crappy blocks in general. If you're used to living in the hood this is a non-issue however.
I think HDFC co ops tend to have a higher percentage of board corruption and mis mismanagement too.

Old 02-04-2018, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
I think HDFC co ops tend to have a higher percentage of board corruption and mis mismanagement too.
They all do, HDFC or no

Old 02-04-2018, 01:00 PM

37,141 posts, read 39,394,719 times
Quote:
Just curious, but what are the kinds of corruption a co-op board does and what are the signs of that happening to watch out for?

Old 02-04-2018, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Just curious, but what are the kinds of corruption a co-op board does and what are the signs of that happening to watch out for?
It can be anything. You really wont know unless you're living there.

Old 02-04-2018, 01:30 PM

3,559 posts, read 2,400,272 times
Quote:
Co-ops in general.

Old 02-04-2018, 02:39 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,075,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I have heard of situations like this over and over again regarding HDFC co ops. Enough over the years so that it made me very leery of them. Yes, it could happen with any co op or corporation but seems to be much more prevalent with HDFC. Might be because their organizational structure tends to be less formal with little oversight.

https://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/201...-as-piggy-bank

Have also heard many stories of HDFC board members taking large sums of under the table cash as key money to get apartments. That doesn’t happen with market rate co ops.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City