Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2019, 08:17 PM

38 posts, read 83,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandMatt View Post
I'm starting to get discouraged. Several interviews but no offers, and fully qualified for the roles. Does it tend to be that they interview a lot more candidates than there are available positions? Will I continue to be called for interviews, but with no greater likelihood of being offered the job?
Hang in there, try to stay positive. Most importantly- don’t put all your eggs in one basket. Keep looking for employment outside of the court system. Keep taking tests for different agencies, keep sending out your resume for non-competitive jobs. Don’t lay all your hopes and dreams on becoming a Court Assistant. As unfair as it may seem, there is a subjective component to the hiring process. Unfortunately the person on the other side of the interview table may not like you for whatever reason and the job may go to the person behind you.

You say you’ve been on several interviews so that means you have a very good list number. I have no doubt you’ll be getting more canvass letters when the hiring starts up again towards the end of summer. Take this time to re-work your resume. Maybe consult with a resume professional.

I interviewed at least 4 times before I became a CA and at least twice for each of my promotions. Don’t get discouraged.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2019, 08:26 PM

49 posts, read 96,921 times
Quote:
I'm starting to get discouraged. Several interviews but no offers, and fully qualified for the roles. Does it tend to be that they interview a lot more candidates than there are available positions? Will I continue to be called for interviews, but with no greater likelihood of being offered the job?
I said this on here too about a month before I got hired! To echo what nycourtguy said - often they bring people in to interview but they already have a candidate in mind they want. For example, in my office they interviewed about 15 people for two jobs. But one job wasnt really available because they wanted the person who was in the job already (she was a 12 and was only just getting to be eligible from the 16 list). Make no mistake - the system is so unfair. You get your hopes up and really sometimes they have no intention of hiring anyone. I went on four interviews before getting my job and I found out that two places I interviewed at hired internally.

Old 07-15-2019, 12:07 PM

327 posts, read 456,018 times
@NY CourtGuy and Gymgirl,

Thanks for your input and encouragement.

I do have a good list number and I know I can do the work, whatever tasks are assigned me.

I'm more concerned about my interview skills and who the panel wants to hire.

Old 07-28-2019, 07:35 PM

Looks like Suffolk County is starting to canvass again.

Old 07-29-2019, 08:01 AM

779 posts, read 1,003,418 times
I got offers last week for Sr court office assistant for suffolk and nassau with a score of 78.

Old 07-29-2019, 09:15 AM

32 posts, read 55,708 times
I received a canvass letter for 8th JD that had to be back by today's date, but the expected start date was June 27, 2019...not sure why it has a start date for June and we're going into August...

Old 07-29-2019, 12:33 PM

@NYCLaidBack,

when did you take the test?

Old 07-29-2019, 01:04 PM

Is there any chance courts I've interviewed with in the past will simply call me up and offer me a job now that they have new positions to fill?

Or is the standard practice to be canvassed, respond to the canvass letter, interview again, then wait for an offer or declination letter?

Old 07-30-2019, 10:35 AM

100 posts, read 175,759 times
Quote:
Is there any chance courts I've interviewed with in the past will simply call me up and offer me a job now that they have new positions to fill?

Or is the standard practice to be canvassed, respond to the canvass letter, interview again, then wait for an offer or declination letter?
They will canvass you again and unfortunately you will have to go through the whole process again.

Old 07-30-2019, 08:35 PM

@CityGuy99, that's what I suspected.

I will continue to respond to the canvass letters.

I'm not giving up yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City