Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2021, 02:00 PM

327 posts, read 456,248 times

Advertisements

@Mellyrose, I'd take the job in Nassau and focus on gaining tenure with the court system.
Then interview once you've gotten tenure.

People do transfer all the time, but it can take awhile.

You run the risk that your supervisors will be annoyed if they train you and you leave in a few months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2021, 02:08 PM

55 posts, read 74,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandMatt View Post
@Mellyrose, I'd take the job in Nassau and focus on gaining tenure with the court system.
Then interview once you've gotten tenure.

People do transfer all the time, but it can take awhile.

You run the risk that your supervisors will be annoyed if they train you and you leave in a few months.

Ugh the stress. I know that contractually I am able to interview without issue and it wouldn't be a transfer per say but a new hire.

Old 11-22-2021, 11:14 AM

Does anyone know if nassau district Court has an employee parking lot

Last edited by Mellyrose1025; 11-22-2021 at 11:37 AM..

Old 11-25-2021, 11:57 AM

@Mellyrose, you can absolutely take (paid) time off for interviews. And don't try to hide the fact you're interviewing if it's within the court system.

There's a lot to be said for working close to home - it's been helpful for me and my family.

I just wouldn't want to risk delaying my start date (date of hire, DOH), really, for just about any reason.
My focus would be on getting on the job, getting tenure, then moving to the location that's most suitable.

Maybe start with Nassau and keep interviewing with Suffolk as they continue to canvas.

Old 11-26-2021, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandMatt View Post
@Mellyrose, you can absolutely take (paid) time off for interviews. And don't try to hide the fact you're interviewing if it's within the court system.

There's a lot to be said for working close to home - it's been helpful for me and my family.

I just wouldn't want to risk delaying my start date (date of hire, DOH), really, for just about any reason.
My focus would be on getting on the job, getting tenure, then moving to the location that's most suitable.

Maybe start with Nassau and keep interviewing with Suffolk as they continue to canvas.
That is my plan. I start Nassau December 9th and I think they are interviewing in mid-december in suffolk. So ill go on that interview if called and see.

Old 12-01-2021, 11:24 AM

38 posts, read 83,050 times
Employees are allowed 3 hours of paid leave to interview for another position within the court system. This provision may in fact apply to interviewing for any NYS civil service position but don't hold me to that.

Be aware of what type of appointment you are being offered. If hired as Permanent then you will not receive any future canvass letters for your title from other courts. If hired as Contingent-Permanent then you will be canvassed for any future vacancies in your title according to your eligibility preferences.

This is important because I don't think you can transfer until you are off probation which is 2 years for a Court Assistant.

You may be able to get to the court you really want sooner if you go the canvass route than the transfer route.

Old 12-02-2021, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCourtGuy View Post
Employees are allowed 3 hours of paid leave to interview for another position within the court system. This provision may in fact apply to interviewing for any NYS civil service position but don't hold me to that.

Be aware of what type of appointment you are being offered. If hired as Permanent then you will not receive any future canvass letters for your title from other courts. If hired as Contingent-Permanent then you will be canvassed for any future vacancies in your title according to your eligibility preferences.

This is important because I don't think you can transfer until you are off probation which is 2 years for a Court Assistant.

You may be able to get to the court you really want sooner if you go the canvass route than the transfer route.
Thank you for that. So I was hired in Nassau. Start next week. Was canvassed for suffolk. Sent paperwork in. Waiting to hear. I was hired as Contingent-permanent so I can still interview in other counties. So if I start in Nassau and get an interview in suffolk I don't think they frown upon it. They should just let me go...right?

Old 12-02-2021, 05:47 PM

38 posts, read 83,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellyrose1025 View Post
Thank you for that. So I was hired in Nassau. Start next week. Was canvassed for suffolk. Sent paperwork in. Waiting to hear. I was hired as Contingent-permanent so I can still interview in other counties. So if I start in Nassau and get an interview in suffolk I don't think they frown upon it. They should just let me go...right?
Go... to the interview? Yes they must let you interview.
Go... as in you being offered a position in Suffolk and you accepting? Yes they cannot prevent you accepting employment elsewhere in the court.

Old 12-07-2021, 10:45 AM

9 posts, read 11,394 times
Hello All and good day!! - Just received a canvass letter and sent it back. How is the interview process? Also wanted to inquire did anyone have time already planned and explained that to them? Any help would be appreciated - Nervous nelly over here. lol - Also are they still doing virtual or in office interviews?

Old 12-08-2021, 06:10 AM

@Citygrl108,

try not to be nervous.
It's a conversation - treat it like that.
Ask a few questions, like what you would be doing in a typical day, etc. Don't ask about benefits - that's for HR or the union.

Re time off, you're entitled to take time off for vacation and personal reasons and sick leave and all that - the risk you run is that if it's an extensive period of time then you might have to take unpaid leave. If you absolutely have to be away for a certain time then let them know that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City