Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2018, 07:00 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,299,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbullnyc View Post
For some who are writing things and sound confused. Depending on where you live in the city you could have a separate gas bill and a separate electricity bill.

To the OP your heat and hot water aren't included in your rent/lease which means you're paying for it. I know some clients and friends who pay around $200 or so for their gas bill because of this.

My gas bill from national grid is generally around $13-$20 bucks each month due to only being charged for cooking gas. It has nothing to do with an old or new building, though usually newer buildings are becoming like this more and more. Older buildings tend to include heat and hot water.

My electricity bill from Con Ed rangers from $30-$55 at most (including winter) due to always unplugging things, certain type of light bulb usage, no dishwasher and no washer/dryer.

Do you live in a thimble? How in the world do you manage to have a national grid bill that cheap?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2018, 09:19 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,772,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVEROFNYC View Post
Do you live in a thimble? How in the world do you manage to have a national grid bill that cheap?
That i have no idea and in previous years i have posted screen shots as i forget which person (a very frequent posted) didnt believe it either. For the record i have a 975sf 2br apartment in bushwick brooklyn, living here for the last 7yrs and the pricing has always been this consistent.

Old 03-22-2018, 09:29 PM

2,179 posts, read 1,859,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbullnyc View Post
That i have no idea and in previous years i have posted screen shots as i forget which person (a very frequent posted) didnt believe it either. For the record i have a 975sf 2br apartment in bushwick brooklyn, living here for the last 7yrs and the pricing has always been this consistent.
I’m not surprised by this. I cook a lot and had a roommate who did as well in my old apt that was about 1000sf we never paid more than $25.

Old 03-22-2018, 09:48 PM

3,861 posts, read 3,148,782 times
You should not be paying for heat or hot water, first of all. Its the law.

Secondly,did someone sign up for those door to door gas/electric salespeople?

Are you paying for gas at an estimated rate? Could be they did not read the meter and are just guessing.

Old 03-22-2018, 10:14 PM

912 posts, read 1,131,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
Hey Astorian, is the $350-400 your average per month during the winter or is that the average per month payment over 12 months?
The $350/400 figure is the average per month figure when I add up the costs of all my fuel deliveries in an year and divide it by 12 months. I fill up my tank frequently during the winter, while a single tank can last me 3/4 months when it’s warm.

Old 03-22-2018, 10:19 PM

912 posts, read 1,131,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapikap View Post
There is no such law. The law says that a landlord must PROVIDE you with heat and hot water, but it doesn’t say the landlord has to pay for it. As long as there is an individual meter for your apartment, all a landlord has to do is ensure the boiler and pipes for your apartment are able to provide you heat, hot water and cooking gas should you wish to pay for it.

Old 03-22-2018, 10:23 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshabrady View Post
I’m not surprised by this. I cook a lot and had a roommate who did as well in my old apt that was about 1000sf we never paid more than $25.
My National Grid bill for cooking gas is almost always $18/mo.

Old 03-22-2018, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astorian31 View Post
There is no such law. The law says that a landlord must PROVIDE you with heat and hot water, but it doesn’t say the landlord has to pay for it.
Correct!

Old 03-22-2018, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
The OP called it his Gas Bill but I was assuming he meant his whole Con Ed bill.
My ConEd bill is electric only. I pay National Grid for cooking gas. Luckily my building's maintenance fee includes heat and hot water so I don't get billed for that.

Old 03-22-2018, 11:34 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,772,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapikap View Post
That's not completely true at all, especially with new apts where the heat is (individual climate control) electric/baseboards and there's a meter in your apt. A lot of buildings are slowing becoming like this, when you get your lease it will also tell you if landlord is or isnt paying for heat/hot water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City