Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2018, 02:29 PM

12,789 posts, read 8,286,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javawood View Post
I moved to NYC to live in NYC, not an apartment. If I just wanted an apartment, I'd live somewhere cheaper along the Hudson in Westchester. I tried luxury with the Avalon Fort Greene for a year on the 17th floor, chilled in my friends place in the Brooklyner for a few months, etc. What bothered me was the lack of nightlife and culture in Downtown Brooklyn and how fake life felt in those towers, so at 22 I said f it when I had to move and with a friend, moved to a huge 1000 sq ft 2bd in SoHo and now my tiny 250 sq ft studio in LES because I found I don't really use my apartment and I don't really like having space.

I haven't been disappointed thus far, though things have been closing like crazy in the last 3 years. Makes the LES seem less and less worth it.
$250 sq ft??!? How in the hell does that work? Do you even have a kitchen to cook in? I also have a studio, but it's around 500 - 600 sq ft. with a balcony, so it's perfect for one person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2018, 02:58 PM

6,509 posts, read 8,449,783 times
Quote:
People have bad spending habits, that's just the name of the game. I'm guilty too, but I'd be damned if my spreadsheet wasn't telling me that I could survive for $40k in my apartment in the LES @ $1600 rent. I like to live life and can afford to, however I got this apartment when I was making $65k. At $65k I had enough to go out after 401k allocations.

Get your spending under control. NYC is expensive, but it doesn't have to be expensive. Don't get those $15 cocktails when there are dives with $4 ones. 25 cent dumplings are still a thing. Hell, I'm still paying $4-5 for my haircut after so many years. Yes I'd like to save more money and I've been going out less because of that want, but to say one can't afford it is lying through their teeth... or they have some family situation or car, in which case there's a higher bar.
I wish they had 25 cent dumplings and a dollar a slice pizza in Virginia. Pay for everything in this state because we have to work and fight and live hand to mouth just to show ourselves worthy of being here, and they don't give us anything in return. Can't even get municipal Wi-Fi around here because the city is afraid of the General Assembly and they are afraid of Cox and whoever else. If they could they would charge us for clean air.

Old 06-04-2018, 03:48 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,477,229 times
Quote:
Chinatown my friend. Not the best English, but I'm used to going to Asia and having a little of a language barrier so it minds me not. The barbers are pretty good, I've been going to them for the last 8 years. If you want something more than just a cut, you're going to want to know a little Mandarin probably, or bring a picture.

The guy on Eldridge between Grand and Broom is very good, though I've been to all of the ones on Bayard St and one on Grand and Allen St.
You're half black right? How is their shapeup game?

Old 06-05-2018, 03:22 AM

Oh and what places do you recommend for dumplings? I walk through Chinatown and the part of the LES it bleeds into and always walk past various spots that look like they cater to Chinese immigrants, I want to try one but don't really know where to begin

Old 06-05-2018, 09:00 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,615,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
$250 sq ft??!? How in the hell does that work? Do you even have a kitchen to cook in? I also have a studio, but it's around 500 - 600 sq ft. with a balcony, so it's perfect for one person.
I have a bathroom, kitchen (tiny, but I make full use of it), etc. I've had a balcony before, never used it. In Japan I'm usually in places that are less than 200 sq ft approx (less than 20 sq m), All apartments in Japan have balconies, but no one uses them like they might in America. They're for air drying clothes. I kinda liked that utility haha. I get from my friends that I live as if I lived in Tokyo in NYC. Partially true except bars are better here whilst the clubs are worse and I don't go to them.

I'm not bothered by small space, I actually prefer it. If I could somehow translocate my apartment to Forest Hills and all the other neighborhoods I'd like to try, I could only imagine how low the rent would be. I'll worry about space if I buy, but atm that's looking less and less likely. Short term, rent stabilization wins out, long term, I don't think I want to retire in America because of the terrible healthcare. I have 40+ years to figure that out though.

Old 06-05-2018, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
You're half black right? How is their shapeup game?
I'm probably the worst person to ask this haha. Not a fan of rap or hip-hop, don't like basketball, etc. The only things I've retained are my slight slurs in speech and my extended family in Englewood in Chicago. Almost feels like walking around eggshells when I'm there for Thanksgiving with the DMC and Fight the Power shirts, especially with my sister's boyfriend and my mother who lost her city smarts, but that rum sangria you can't take away from me. Amazing food though, diehard fan of collared greens. I seem to be the best at pool too, the table scruffed up from wear and tear from years of use, looks like it was picked up in a landfill and repolished.

Old 06-05-2018, 09:11 AM

769 posts, read 1,014,559 times
NYWRITERDUDE is a transplant from Alabama.

The worst part about transplants is they come here to NY and then complain about other transplants.

Justin, I bet you improvise a fake NY accent too, don't you?

Old 06-05-2018, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Oh and what places do you recommend for dumplings? I walk through Chinatown and the part of the LES it bleeds into and always walk past various spots that look like they cater to Chinese immigrants, I want to try one but don't really know where to begin
On the cheap, the bakery on the SE side of Grand and Forsyth is my go to because of $1 coffee with milk tea. Dumplings are 25 cents there, though you need to buy 8 at a time. Not a bad deal when you only have to pay $2. For a little more, I like the Fungzhou soup dumplings and tripe ($3.50 I think, $2 for their peanut butter noodles) on the SE corner of Broome and Eldridge, and a place that also does hand-pulled noodles I think on Eldridge St between Hester and Canal, as well as a place on Crystie St between Canal and Hester. There was also a place on Henry St in Two Bridges, but it's been a while since I've been there. The dumpling place on Mosco St off of Mott St was only 20 cents for the longest time, but they've gone up in price. Still cheap though, I think it's 30 cents now. I miss Prosperity Dumplings on Eldridge St and that one location on Clinton St.

Old 06-05-2018, 01:40 PM

606 posts, read 419,312 times
I'm a transplant and I don't feel entitled. But I guess I'm tge exception. I think as someone said it's the generation being entitled about everything.

Old 06-06-2018, 07:48 AM

Quote:
I'm probably the worst person to ask this haha. Not a fan of rap or hip-hop, don't like basketball, etc. The only things I've retained are my slight slurs in speech and my extended family in Englewood in Chicago. Almost feels like walking around eggshells when I'm there for Thanksgiving with the DMC and Fight the Power shirts, especially with my sister's boyfriend and my mother who lost her city smarts, but that rum sangria you can't take away from me. Amazing food though, diehard fan of collared greens. I seem to be the best at pool too, the table scruffed up from wear and tear from years of use, looks like it was picked up in a landfill and repolished.

I'm not black myself, I was just curious because a saw an internet post from a black guy who got his haircut from a Chinese place and they messed up his hairline lol. So I was curious

Quote:
On the cheap, the bakery on the SE side of Grand and Forsyth is my go to because of $1 coffee with milk tea. Dumplings are 25 cents there, though you need to buy 8 at a time. Not a bad deal when you only have to pay $2. For a little more, I like the Fungzhou soup dumplings and tripe ($3.50 I think, $2 for their peanut butter noodles) on the SE corner of Broome and Eldridge, and a place that also does hand-pulled noodles I think on Eldridge St between Hester and Canal, as well as a place on Crystie St between Canal and Hester. There was also a place on Henry St in Two Bridges, but it's been a while since I've been there. The dumpling place on Mosco St off of Mott St was only 20 cents for the longest time, but they've gone up in price. Still cheap though, I think it's 30 cents now. I miss Prosperity Dumplings on Eldridge St and that one location on Clinton St.
Thanks!

I had a underwhelming dumplings from a hood Chinese takeout place yesterday and they were 6 dollars for 8 or 10, that's cool that I can get real Chinese dumplings for half of that.

When people talk about "cheap" ethnic food, a lot of the time it really just seems average priced. But what you're saying actually sounds cheap lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City