Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2018, 02:34 PM

1,795 posts, read 1,877,527 times

Advertisements

Great I might move to back to NYC again if they offer me more than 300k a year this time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2018, 05:20 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,972,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Uh excuse me, but there are various articles out there about working people that are homeless. Too busy running your mouth to listen.
Stories are irrelevant if they are not statistically relevant. We both know it's rare for working people to be long term homeless. Really why would one work if one isn't going to be able to pay for housing. That's why people work.

Old 03-24-2018, 07:03 PM

31,907 posts, read 26,970,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Stories are irrelevant if they are not statistically relevant. We both know it's rare for working people to be long term homeless. Really why would one work if one isn't going to be able to pay for housing. That's why people work.

Again......

Do you ever bother to look up anything before posting?

The numbers of employed but homeless persons in NYC is not an "irrelevant" or whatever number, but a fact. https://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/18/n...ng-a-home.html

Today's Read: Thousands of Working New Yorkers Are Living in Homeless Shelters - Coalition For The Homeless

Only reason many of these people find any housing is because that some kind of mayor you worship and the city council push, force, coerce, bribe or whatever landlords/developers to take them in. However their numbers are likely far larger than the city wishes to admit, or even research.

Again if things were so well for these employed but homeless persons why did the city force developers to carve out set aside numbers in "affordable" housing?

Unless you're living in a RS, RC, NYCHA or whatever apartment that falls under some sort of government control, there is little chance you're not earning bank to pay your rent on time. If rent is $1300 per month, and you're only earning $800, something is going to give. Because if you go down to housing court all the free legal help in world cannot get blood out of a turnip.

Old 03-24-2018, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Again......

Do you ever bother to look up anything before posting?

The numbers of employed but homeless persons in NYC is not an "irrelevant" or whatever number, but a fact. https://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/18/n...ng-a-home.html

Today's Read: Thousands of Working New Yorkers Are Living in Homeless Shelters - Coalition For The Homeless

Only reason many of these people find any housing is because that some kind of mayor you worship and the city council push, force, coerce, bribe or whatever landlords/developers to take them in. However their numbers are likely far larger than the city wishes to admit, or even research.

Again if things were so well for these employed but homeless persons why did the city force developers to carve out set aside numbers in "affordable" housing?

Unless you're living in a RS, RC, NYCHA or whatever apartment that falls under some sort of government control, there is little chance you're not earning bank to pay your rent on time. If rent is $1300 per month, and you're only earning $800, something is going to give. Because if you go down to housing court all the free legal help in world cannot get blood out of a turnip.
Bugsy, I am not a retiree with unlimited free time like you. I really don't care about thousands of New Yorkers living in homeless shelters. That's a fraction of 8 million in NYC, and if someone is stupid enough to work for a job that does not pay them enough money to rent for a ROOM, that is entirely on them.

I don't have the time or quite frankly the interest to deal with stupid freak cases, but if it makes you have orgasm feel free to spend your whole life digging up whatever freak articles about scum/idiots in the city. Again, personally I could care less.

Old 03-24-2018, 08:29 PM

6,149 posts, read 4,514,052 times
Quote:
Bugsy, I am not a retiree with unlimited free time like you. I really don't care about thousands of New Yorkers living in homeless shelters. That's a fraction of 8 million in NYC, and if someone is stupid enough to work for a job that does not pay them enough money to rent for a ROOM, that is entirely on them.

I don't have the time or quite frankly the interest to deal with stupid freak cases, but if it makes you have orgasm feel free to spend your whole life digging up whatever freak articles about scum/idiots in the city. Again, personally I could care less.
Stupid enough to work for a job that does not pay them enough money to rent a room.

So what should they do? Quit working and sit on the corner and beg for change? Ask for a raise? Is working stupid? There are so many things wrong in that statement that I'm going apoplectic trying to sort them all out.

I'll start with: Why does the government allow employers to pay people less money than it takes to rent a room? Why is the federal minimum wage below the federal poverty line?

Old 03-24-2018, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
Stupid enough to work for a job that does not pay them enough money to rent a room.

So what should they do? Quit working and sit on the corner and beg for change? Ask for a raise? Is working stupid? There are so many things wrong in that statement that I'm going apoplectic trying to sort them all out.

I'll start with: Why does the government allow employers to pay people less money than it takes to rent a room? Why is the federal minimum wage below the federal poverty line?
NYC is a luxury market. It's no one's God given right to live in NYC. So if the person cannot make enough money in NYC to support themselves, it's up to them to find someplace that they can.

And yes if your job pays so little you have to work in the homeless shelter, you might as well beg for change and or food stamps. These people are just PLAIN stupid and there is nothing the government can do about that.

There is no government legislation that can fix people who simply have poor judgement.

Old 03-24-2018, 08:42 PM

Here's the problem with this era of FAKE and severely distorted news.

The vast majority of working people are not homeless.

However, for some people to score a point, especially a political point they will take free cases of some moron who works and stays in a homeless shelter long term. These stories are click bait, and people click on bad news because it's exciting.

It's boring to read, this person has a job and pays his bills on time.

I didn't bother and won't bother to read Bugsy link, but the headline even if it's exactly true says that there are thousands of homeless working people in shelters in NYC. NYC has what, 8.5 million people................

Not exactly an epidemic.

Old 03-24-2018, 09:39 PM

12,789 posts, read 8,290,806 times
Quote:
Here's the problem with this era of FAKE and severely distorted news.

The vast majority of working people are not homeless.

However, for some people to score a point, especially a political point they will take free cases of some moron who works and stays in a homeless shelter long term. These stories are click bait, and people click on bad news because it's exciting.

It's boring to read, this person has a job and pays his bills on time.

I didn't bother and won't bother to read Bugsy link, but the headline even if it's exactly true says that there are thousands of homeless working people in shelters in NYC. NYC has what, 8.5 million people................

Not exactly an epidemic.
You're the one who said that there weren't working people that were homeless here.

Old 03-25-2018, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
You're the one who said that there weren't working people that were homeless here.
I said no such thing. The original post is about the record low number of unemployment in NYC, and I merely posted that.

For whatever reason, you and a couple of others decide to obsess about these exceptions to be ridiculously contrarian.

And no one has been able to demonstrate a substantial number of working homeless in NYC, and certainly not a statistically significant number.

Old 03-25-2018, 04:34 AM

106,664 posts, read 108,810,853 times
Quote:
statistics mean little to me . things happen to me , or refer to me or they don't . i don't really care what a snow ball's chance of anything is if it happens to me and i got the short straw .
insurers love probability and statistics . they can tell us a whole lot about stuff . they can even tell us how many of us will die this year , but they can't tell us who .

if it is you ,does your spouse or kids really care about statistics ?

at the end of the day it is only our own stories that matter because we only have 2 outcomes , unlike statistics which can have infinite outcomes ..as humans things apply to us or they don't . i can't be a little bit dead .

if i was out of work and could not get a job it is only my story that matters .

many made poor choices and decisions in life that hurt them financially because they relied on statistics . but when they were on the wrong side of the statistic they learned about how probability means nothing when it's you since it has to happen to someone .

Last edited by mathjak107; 03-25-2018 at 04:58 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: