Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2018, 11:01 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
Then there are people who are born with lower than 83 IQ. Those people are unemployable in modern society (they can't be janitors, the military does not recruit those people even during drafts like Vietnam or WW2 when they need all the bodies they can get, etc). These people do not have a mental condition, they are not crazy and look and act normal, but they just don't have enough mental capacity even to follow simple tasks and orders, like folding letters and sticking them into envelopes. By some estimates these people are as high as 10% of the population... of course they are automatically not counted in any employment data.
Back in times, those "slow" Hodors would be village water carriers or something. Nowadays, even jobs at McDonalds require some measure of intelligence, advanced cognitive capacity, and coordination.
If a person is so severely cognitively compared as you describe them (not being able to fold letters) then they do indeed have a severe mental condition. These people are assessed by psychiatrists and psychologists and doctors and placed on SSI.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2018, 07:24 AM

3,570 posts, read 3,755,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Quite true. Criminal background, addiction and other forms of mental illness take people out of the job market. No recent activity takes people out of the job market as well. If you have not worked in the past 5 or 10 years that is going to look very bad...
Try 6 months.

Old 03-31-2018, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
When my money is paying for such programs I care, otherwise I wouldn't give a damn.
How much of your money is paying for these programs? Do you know the percentage? Can you break it down program by program?

Old 03-31-2018, 07:28 AM

Quote:
I am focused on myself. I only care about my money and where it goes, otherwise I could care less. My caring led to Trump getting elected, and more of my tax money in MY pocket where it belongs and not aiding some program.

Why would the NYPD be an exception?
How did that happen? Did you already file your 2018 taxes? Otherwise, you did not file taxes under any Trump regulation.

Old 03-31-2018, 08:23 AM

12,788 posts, read 8,279,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseba View Post
How did that happen? Did you already file your 2018 taxes? Otherwise, you did not file taxes under any Trump regulation.
Apparently you didn't hear about the tax cuts... That's how it happened. Some people didn't see a difference in their paychecks and if they don't pay much in taxes, then they shouldn't. I saw a 10% reduction in my taxes.

Old 03-31-2018, 09:48 AM

7,643 posts, read 6,471,209 times
homelessness went up

quality of life went down

he has not done anything for infrastructure in this city

The man is no better than donald trump

find me another bloomberg

deblasio has no vision

Old 03-31-2018, 10:29 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
homelessness went up

quality of life went down

he has not done anything for infrastructure in this city

The man is no better than donald trump

find me another bloomberg

deblasio has no vision
He can't run again. So it's really time to stop talking about de Blasio and start talking about who is good for the next mayor.

Old 03-31-2018, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Apparently you didn't hear about the tax cuts... That's how it happened. Some people didn't see a difference in their paychecks and if they don't pay much in taxes, then they shouldn't. I saw a 10% reduction in my taxes.
Of course I heard about the small tax cuts that were implemented for the 2018 tax year. But our last return was for the 2017 tax year.

Old 03-31-2018, 12:36 PM

12,788 posts, read 8,279,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseba View Post
Of course I heard about the small tax cuts that were implemented for the 2018 tax year. But our last return was for the 2017 tax year.
I'm not talking about my return. I'm talking about my paycheck and how I pay LESS in taxes.

Old 03-31-2018, 12:54 PM

106,579 posts, read 108,713,667 times
well we all got more money in our checks . the real deal will be at the end of the year when you actually do your taxes and all deductions are accounted for. a preliminary for next year shows my check has a bit more in it weekly but i will owe more than this year when all is said and done .

in fact i bumped up all my withholding higher as of april 1st than it is for a couple , so i actually get less in my check. this tax deal was not good for many of those in high cost of living areas who have mortgages , high real estate taxes and pay state and local taxes . they typically came to more than you can write off now even with the 10k in salt . .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: