Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2018, 02:53 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,313,805 times

Advertisements

Which will be the first to get a WFs? ENY or the South Bronx?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2018, 02:57 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,972,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Which will be the first to get a WFs? ENY or the South Bronx?
South Bronx.

Old 03-26-2018, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthere22 View Post
You are missing the point, is not about how good Whole Foods is, it is about how it signals to higher income people that that area is OK for them to move into. is like planting a big flag to mark gentrified land.

and about south Bronx getting a HFs? dude even Newark has one.
There are other high end retailers than can do that. Gentrification is not dependent upon Whole Foods. In fact, Whole Foods really only showed up in Williamsburg after the gentrification was essentially complete. Whole Foods did not gentrify Williamsburg. LIC is very gentrified, and it still does not yet have a Whole Foods.

The Upper East Side only got a Whole Foods a few years ago. Ditto Midtown East. For years the city's only Whole Foods were Union Square and Chelsea.

Old 03-26-2018, 03:02 PM

There are other high end grocery stores that can move into neighborhoods, such as Trader Joes or Wegman's. Even Fairway before it went into bankrupcy court.

Old 03-26-2018, 03:21 PM

12,789 posts, read 8,290,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
There are other high end grocery stores that can move into neighborhoods, such as Trader Joes or Wegman's. Even Fairway before it went into bankrupcy court.
Since when is Trader Joe's "high-end"?? LMAO Fairway would be considered high-end, but Trader Joe's is the complete opposite of Whole Foods, Citarella and the like.

Old 03-26-2018, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Since when is Trader Joe's "high-end"?? LMAO Fairway would be considered high-end, but Trader Joe's is the complete opposite of Whole Foods, Citarella and the like.
Trader Joes is only found in wealthy zipcodes. It is aimed at an affluent crowd, but with lower prices. So they make their money off VOLUME.

Fairway nearly went through a death experience, and Whole Foods had to sell out to Amazon. Being a high end grocer just really does not work out, btw. Amazon is further integrating Whole Foods into itself and reorienting the stores to also be used as distribution centers.

Old 03-26-2018, 03:40 PM

12,789 posts, read 8,290,806 times
Quote:
Trader Joes is only found in wealthy zipcodes. It is aimed at an affluent crowd, but with lower prices. So they make their money off VOLUME.
That doesn't make it high-end though.

Old 03-26-2018, 03:49 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,236,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popartist View Post
One is coming to the Navy Yard area of Brooklyn in about a year from now, though.
Then he can talk about it then. Its like coming to the NYC forum telling ny-ers to shop at walmart when we don't have one. Some people have bats for brains.

Old 03-27-2018, 04:12 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,580,563 times
Default If it opens, will they come?

Quote:
Definitely this means the South Bronx will get one faster. 10 years at the longest, but honestly it would not surprise me if 5 years or less. Bronx real estate has become hot.
But will it get enough business to stick around? I can't see people in the S. Bronx area paying Whole Food prices for healthy food, especially the type of foods they carry (I love it - gourmet and specialty foods but won't spend half my check on it). Their food isn't highly desirable to most Hispanics, Caribbean, or African-Americans and these are the groups that make up the largest population numbers in the BX.

According to demographics stats, the other half of the Bronx population is White -- but in my experience, they're low-key, barely visible out and about, and not the typical yuppy-hipsters or millenial types. Whites that live in Riverdale will never shop at any place in the BX as they avoid it like the plague. They will go into their own neighborhood, Manhattan, Westchester county, or NJ first. I doubt the population of the currrent transplant gentrifiers is large enough to support a WF in the Bronx.

Old 03-27-2018, 04:16 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,580,563 times
Default Trader Joe's is my favorite of all of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Yes, but Trader Joe's (my fav) attracts the same customer base as Whole Foods, Fairway, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City