Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2018, 01:55 AM

582 posts, read 763,473 times

Advertisements

Hey guys,

How does an ad for a studio on UES (80th street) , 5th floor, no elevator for $1450 sound to you? Oh wait, there is no broker fee and the security deposit is $1000.
I found it on FB and when I asked them why this is below the market rate, they said " that is the price the owner gave us".
If this is real, there must be something seriously wrong about it. They asked me to fill out an application but I didn't want to do that before I see the studio so the salesperson blocked me because I argued with them.

Now I can't see the listing and I really would like to get the number of the building.i don't remember it.there is a viewing date and I am really curious about it. I insisted on getting the name of the manager and his number. they gave it to me and I checked their website but that particular studio wasn't there. I know this is 80% scam, 20% real. Can anyone help me to verify the address? If so, I will pm them the salesperson's name and they can look it up on FB just to see the listing and give me the exact address. Also, in general, how do you spot a rental scam?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2018, 02:24 AM

30,638 posts, read 18,227,675 times
If it looks too good to be true, then trust your gut.

Old 06-17-2018, 02:51 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,672,796 times
Keep in mind something that most people don't know, or forget: Rent stabilized apartments, last I heard, were priced depending on the turnover. That is, landlords were limited in the rent they could charge for a tenant who stays put. So it can sometimes happen, if someone keeps the apartment for decades, that the rent might still be low.

Blocked you how? Is that legal? What's more suspicious to me is their attitude. Then again, brokers have a long-time reputation for crummy attitudes.

Old 06-17-2018, 03:25 PM

34,097 posts, read 47,293,896 times
Everybody help safina out and show what this forum is supposed to do

safina, nothing from the link I gave you before?

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 06-18-2018, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Keep in mind something that most people don't know, or forget: Rent stabilized apartments, last I heard, were priced depending on the turnover. That is, landlords were limited in the rent they could charge for a tenant who stays put. So it can sometimes happen, if someone keeps the apartment for decades, that the rent might still be low.

Blocked you how? Is that legal? What's more suspicious to me is their attitude. Then again, brokers have a long-time reputation for crummy attitudes.
Thanks! I will consider that. She blocked me on facebook. we were chatting over messenger. now, I can't see the listing.

Old 06-18-2018, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Everybody help safina out and show what this forum is supposed to do

safina, nothing from the link I gave you before?

Thanks so much! Your support is very much appreciated!
I am still looking. It takes time to find a good place.

Old 06-18-2018, 08:51 AM

1,063 posts, read 696,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by safina1 View Post
Thanks! I will consider that. She blocked me on facebook. we were chatting over messenger. now, I can't see the listing.
When you ask too many questions usually a scammer will just block you, hang up the phone or terminate the interaction with some excuse (if in person). So it is always a good practice to ask relevant questions to whatever service you are seeking in life. When they get nervous or annoyed it means they are up to no good and are trying to get your money with as little hassle as possible.

Old 06-18-2018, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechaMan View Post
When you ask too many questions usually a scammer will just block you, hang up the phone or terminate the interaction with some excuse (if in person). So it is always a good practice to ask relevant questions to whatever service you are seeking in life. When they get nervous or annoyed it means they are up to no good and are trying to get your money with as little hassle as possible.
but how do I find out for sure if the listing is in fact a scam?

Old 06-18-2018, 10:43 AM

15,855 posts, read 14,479,382 times
Every rental building in NYC has a sign at the entry saying who the managing agent is. Get their number, call them, and ask if the agent who showed you the apartment actually represents them. Also ask if the apartment is actually available.

Old 06-18-2018, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
Every rental building in NYC has a sign at the entry saying who the managing agent is. Get their number, call them, and ask if the agent who showed you the apartment actually represents them. Also ask if the apartment is actually available.
I don't have the address. Like I said the sales agent blocked me on FB and I can't see the listing anymore.
Can I give you her name so you can search on FB and find the address for me? it is no problem if you don't want to do that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City