Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 09:29 PM

3 posts, read 46,028 times

Advertisements

I am considering taking a new position with my work in New York. I am 23 and currently living in Charlotte, NC. I’m really excited about the prospect of living in NY but am apprehensive about the cost of living and my ignorance of the city. I would be making about $70k/year. I would prefer to ditch my car if possible. I would be working out of an office near the 34th St Herald Sq station or possibly out of an office near Bryant Park. I have been reading through a lot of the posts the last few days and have gleaned a few ideas. I’m not really sure what my price range is right now for rent looking to gauge that.

At 70k living on my own in Manhattan is out of the question. I would love to have a 1br but a studio would be fine. I would like to live in a decent neighborhood that is somewhat safe. At my price point this may be a pipe dream, but I would like to live in an area with other people my age that has restaurants and places to gather. A place with some kind of life to it. Really what I want is to live some place that isn’t some isolated suburb. A shorter commute to work is a big plus. The three areas I have been looking at are Astoria/Sunnyside/Jackson Heights in Queens, a couple neighborhoods in Brooklyn, and Hoboken in NJ.

Can anyone recommend any neighborhoods in Brooklyn that would seem to fit that description? From what I have read so far Astoria and Sunnyside seem like reasonable fits. Does anyone have any opinions on living in NJ and taking the PATH train in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2008, 10:02 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,916,177 times
I recommend Astoria. Specifically, the northern portion around Ditmars.

Old 03-25-2008, 10:08 PM

2,541 posts, read 11,335,406 times
There is a place in Manhattan for you

Honestly if you are looking for something affordable and not just the apartment but everything, then I would suggest south Washington heights just north of morningside heights on Broadway

The area is cheap with decent food, laundromats and dry cleaners everywhere, and subways are never too far

You can live up there alone on 70K, and you can get a real big apartment honestly. The rooms up there are big, and because it is not a trendy spot the prices are affordable.

You may have to transfer trains to get to herald square but it is good to be able to walk around when you have to sit down in the office most of the day.

Old 03-26-2008, 07:04 PM

3,734 posts, read 4,546,933 times
NJ Chutzpah-
Are you really recommending Harlem to someone who is admits his "ignorance" of the city? Although Harlem is undergoing urban renewal, it's still for those who are pretty tough and have solid street smarts. Nothing against Harlem, but even born and bred New Yorkers think twice before venturing there. This board is supposed to help people, not play jokes on them.

Caleb 733-
Astoria and Sunnyside sound like they may be a good fit for you. Other areas in Queens that you may want to consider are Rego Park, Forest Hills and Kew Gardens. None of them is a long commute to 34th Street (20-30 minutes). Sorry I don't know anything about NJ.

Old 03-26-2008, 07:39 PM

2,742 posts, read 7,494,404 times
Bay Ridge is a great place in Brooklyn. The commute is about 30 to 35 min. to Manhattan, but is a great place and safe.

Old 03-26-2008, 07:52 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,244,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Chutzpah View Post
There is a place in Manhattan for you

Honestly if you are looking for something affordable and not just the apartment but everything, then I would suggest south Washington heights just north of morningside heights on Broadway

The area is cheap with decent food, laundromats and dry cleaners everywhere, and subways are never too far

You can live up there alone on 70K, and you can get a real big apartment honestly. The rooms up there are big, and because it is not a trendy spot the prices are affordable.

You may have to transfer trains to get to herald square but it is good to be able to walk around when you have to sit down in the office most of the day.

I think your thinking of Hamilton Heights not Washington Heights. That's Harlem BTW. People get confused because there are a lot of Dominicans there, but yeah it's Harlem.

Old 03-26-2008, 08:41 PM

1,409 posts, read 5,250,356 times
Honestly, you could live in Williamsburg on your salary. I work at a non-profit with plenty of young people and they make a lot less than you and live there (without trust funds). As someone knew to the city, I highly recommend a roommate situation before you take a lease. You need to learn what area of the city you like. Maybe you are an Upper East Side Person or you might love Jackson Heights. You won't know until you get here.

Old 03-26-2008, 09:02 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
Here are my suggestions for young & safe, with places to gather. Assuming you can afford $1600 per month on a studio.

In Brooklyn
Greenpoint
Williamsburg
Fort Greene
South Park Slope
Cobble Hill
Caroll Gardens

In Queens
Astoria

Old 03-26-2008, 10:18 PM

Thanks for all the input so far, keep it coming! I'm going to try looking at some places in these neighborhoods in Brooklyn and see what I find. Are there any big differences between these neighborhoods and Astoria/Sunnyside in Queens that might not be obvious? Also looking for input on NJ. I have heard good things about Hoboken. Is it significantly different than the neighborhoods mentioned already in Brooklyn and Queens?

Old 03-26-2008, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpsonDowns View Post
Honestly, you could live in Williamsburg on your salary. I work at a non-profit with plenty of young people and they make a lot less than you and live there (without trust funds). As someone knew to the city, I highly recommend a roommate situation before you take a lease. You need to learn what area of the city you like. Maybe you are an Upper East Side Person or you might love Jackson Heights. You won't know until you get here.
That sounds like good advice. Ideally if I could find a sublease that I could take over for a few months and then pick a place to take a year lease at that would be ideal. If I could get a roommate even better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City