Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2018, 08:41 PM

7,906 posts, read 7,895,290 times

Advertisements

This is gonna be a beautiful building when it’s done. Sits in the same block as Zabars
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2018, 02:59 PM

186 posts, read 268,727 times
love that area of NYC !

Old 04-20-2018, 03:21 PM

12,791 posts, read 8,300,808 times
I love Zabars, but I hate the site as it stands now. Too dusty over there...

Old 04-20-2018, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BklynDee View Post
love that area of NYC !
me too. I need a apt with a river view and a terrace on Broadway

Old 04-20-2018, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
I love Zabars, but I hate the site as it stands now. Too dusty over there...
what do you usually get at Zabars?

Old 04-20-2018, 05:15 PM

12,791 posts, read 8,300,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellUpInHarlem View Post
what do you usually get at Zabars?
Well before Whole Foods became the spot for me, I'd go there and get imported items from Europe... Cookies and other tasty little treats. Something I have a hard time finding in stores are those Lazzaroni amaretti cookies and I believe they used to carry them there. I was looking high and low for them during Xmas last year and even Whole Foods didn't have them (they usually do for the holidays) so I'll have to order them online. I like to have their year round. Excellent crumbled up on some Häagen-Dazs vanilla ice cream.

As I'm sure you know, they have an expansive cheese collection. I used to love going in and hearing the cheese specials over that loud speaker system they have. They also used to carry a lot of kitchen items from Europe that were always made in China elsewhere. I have a "Made in Italy" Pedrini beer bottle opener from there... It has to be over 10 years old and is in pristine condition. Very good quality. My measuring cup from France I got from there (they no longer carry it, but it too is over 10 years old and looks brand new) and all of my wooden utensils from France I got from there too. I saw some wooden utensils the last time I was there... Still made in France, but they don't look like the same quality. Part of my Iittala Aino Alto collection was also bought from there.

The glass you see below is still in production (Made in Finland), but the dinner plates and saucers are not. They are a fantastic addition to my glassware collection and I use the dinnerware a lot as well. Nice thick glass. They even hold up better than some of my "Made in Italy" glasses since they are thicker all over.

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/sto...SABEgKZMfD_BwE

Old 04-20-2018, 06:30 PM

31,927 posts, read 27,007,597 times
You can have it!

AM Stern or whatever, that area is not very nice IMHO, certainly when compared to UES, West or Greenwich Village, or even East Village these days.

In that area at least once or twice a week and Broadway is what it is; nothing much has changed. It still seems "dirty" compared to much of the UES. Fact you have scores of raving lunatics up and down that area including those pedestrian parks in middle of street does no to much to upmarket the area.

Last week making my way down to 79th and Broadway (for the M79) there was some hot mess totally out of his mind (on God knows what) doing Michael Jackson moon dance moves.

That being said there are a couple of new buildings going up in that area. One at 80th and Broadway (next to DSW Shoes) looks rather low budget. However there is another on 79th between Broadway and Amsterdam that is really rather nice. 207 West 79th Street New Upper West Side Development | Anbau NYC

https://ny.curbed.com/2014/10/8/1003...condo-neighbor

Old 04-20-2018, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Well before Whole Foods became the spot for me, I'd go there and get imported items from Europe... Cookies and other tasty little treats. Something I have a hard time finding in stores are those Lazzaroni amaretti cookies and I believe they used to carry them there. I was looking high and low for them during Xmas last year and even Whole Foods didn't have them (they usually do for the holidays) so I'll have to order them online. I like to have their year round. Excellent crumbled up on some Häagen-Dazs vanilla ice cream.

As I'm sure you know, they have an expansive cheese collection. I used to love going in and hearing the cheese specials over that loud speaker system they have. They also used to carry a lot of kitchen items from Europe that were always made in China elsewhere. I have a "Made in Italy" Pedrini beer bottle opener from there... It has to be over 10 years old and is in pristine condition. Very good quality. My measuring cup from France I got from there (they no longer carry it, but it too is over 10 years old and looks brand new) and all of my wooden utensils from France I got from there too. I saw some wooden utensils the last time I was there... Still made in France, but they don't look like the same quality. Part of my Iittala Aino Alto collection was also bought from there.

The glass you see below is still in production (Made in Finland), but the dinner plates and saucers are not. They are a fantastic addition to my glassware collection and I use the dinnerware a lot as well. Nice thick glass. They even hold up better than some of my "Made in Italy" glasses since they are thicker all over.

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/sto...SABEgKZMfD_BwE
The glasses are nice. I wouldn’t get em because I’d worry about em shattering. $28 down the drain. I go to Zabars for their strudel and coffee. If I need imported cheese I know where to go. Tried their chocolate babka and it was good but overrated. I’ve had their bagels too, but had better at Absolute up Broadway. Their cream cheese is not all that either. Philadelphia has the game on lock

Old 04-20-2018, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
You can have it!

AM Stern or whatever, that area is not very nice IMHO, certainly when compared to UES, West or Greenwich Village, or even East Village these days.

In that area at least once or twice a week and Broadway is what it is; nothing much has changed. It still seems "dirty" compared to much of the UES. Fact you have scores of raving lunatics up and down that area including those pedestrian parks in middle of street does no to much to upmarket the area.

Last week making my way down to 79th and Broadway (for the M79) there was some hot mess totally out of his mind (on God knows what) doing Michael Jackson moon dance moves.

That being said there are a couple of new buildings going up in that area. One at 80th and Broadway (next to DSW Shoes) looks rather low budget. However there is another on 79th between Broadway and Amsterdam that is really rather nice. 207 West 79th Street New Upper West Side Development | Anbau NYC

https://ny.curbed.com/2014/10/8/1003...condo-neighbor
Don’t like the 79th st building. nope nope nope

Old 04-21-2018, 09:45 AM

25,373 posts, read 37,093,283 times
Does anyone know what the situation is with the nearly finished 10 or so story red building on the Northeast corner of 92nd and Second? It looks a little institutional.

pierrepont:
https://www.supermarketitaly.com/laz...hoCme8QAvD_BwE
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: