Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2018, 08:45 AM

73 posts, read 122,758 times

Advertisements

Hey guys I was wondering if I can get your input of places to move to in Brooklyn (preferably) or maybe even Queens that is similar in style like Bushwick in prices and hipness. I am 29 black male work in programming and photography.i want to be I a place well I can meet friends and date in a diverse environment.

Price range for rent if I don’t have roommates $1100- $1500 but that depends how much my job will pay so I maybe able to afford higher.

I would like to have a job in Brooklyn so I hope the L train doesn’t affect me. I want to move by 2019

Edit: I’ll most likely have roommates so let’s put that I prospective

Last edited by djay135; 04-05-2018 at 09:06 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2018, 08:52 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,478,550 times
Ridgewood and Bed Stuy also have that hipster crowd, but I don't think they have much in your budget

Old 04-05-2018, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Ridgewood and Bed Stuy also have that hipster crowd, but I don't think they have much in your budget
Wow seriously I will have roommates than lol... but isn’t bedstuy still kinda dangerous

Old 04-05-2018, 10:19 AM

2,691 posts, read 4,329,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djay135 View Post
Wow seriously I will have roommates than lol... but isn’t bedstuy still kinda dangerous
No it’s not unless you plan to live in the projects. Also considering you wanted to live in a Bushwick like area, thinking Bed Stuy is “dangerous” is certainly ironic. Look at the recent threads on here that describe the astonishment at Bed Stuy’s gentrification. There is record shop/coffee shop 2 blocks from my place and a bar that sells craft beer and gourmet grill cheese sandwiches 1 block away so yeah, I’d say many areas, especially along the G or A/C are “hipster gentrified”. There is still roughness and more danger in the interior away from the subways and also near the projects but overall for someone who’d consider living in Bushwick, Bed Stuy is a fair comparison.

In fact, I was in Bushwick last weekend at a bar for a friend’s bday and a shocking number of the people at the party lived in or were moving to Bed Stuy. My guess is that the pending L train shut down is pushing this migration. This friend works on the creative side at a digital ad agency so it was a similar career demographic with these “now in or soon to be in Bed Stuy” people also working in digital media and technology.

So yes, Bed Stuy works for sure and the price range is doable in your budget with roommates. You may also want to consider northern Crown Heights though to me that vibe is less “hipster” and probably becase Bed Stuy gets more Bushwick and Williamsburg spill over due to proximity and train routes (the G).

Old 04-05-2018, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
No it’s not unless you plan to live in the projects. Also considering you wanted to live in a Bushwick like area, thinking Bed Stuy is “dangerous” is certainly ironic. Look at the recent threads on here that describe the astonishment at Bed Stuy’s gentrification. There is record shop/coffee shop 2 blocks from my place and a bar that sells craft beer and gourmet grill cheese sandwiches 1 block away so yeah, I’d say many areas, especially along the G or A/C are “hipster gentrified”. There is still roughness and more danger in the interior away from the subways and also near the projects but overall for someone who’d consider living in Bushwick, Bed Stuy is a fair comparison.

In fact, I was in Bushwick last weekend at a bar for a friend’s bday and a shocking number of the people at the party lived in or were moving to Bed Stuy. My guess is that the pending L train shut down is pushing this migration. This friend works on the creative side at a digital ad agency so it was a similar career demographic with these “now in or soon to be in Bed Stuy” people also working in digital media and technology.

So yes, Bed Stuy works for sure and the price range is doable in your budget with roommates. You may also want to consider northern Crown Heights though to me that vibe is less “hipster” and probably becase Bed Stuy gets more Bushwick and Williamsburg spill over due to proximity and train routes (the G).

No your right I haven’t been to Bed Stuy, and I haven’t researched it now. I Bushwick has been somewhat gentrified so that’s why I chose it and it was suppose to be a Cheaper option. But I’ll look into Bed Stuy too. Thanks!

Old 04-05-2018, 12:52 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,312,562 times
Ridgewood is basically Bushwick with less crime and lower rent.

Old 04-05-2018, 01:17 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,478,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post

Is the Eastern portion of Bed Stuy more dangerous than the West?

Old 04-05-2018, 01:23 PM

Quote:
No. The closer you are to Broadway the more crime there is. Same goes for Bushwick. Also Gates ave in either neighborhood is a hotbed for crime.

Old 04-05-2018, 01:26 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,615,922 times
Quote:
Yes, just like Bushwick lol. Seems like this would be a natural move for the OP. Imo, BedStuy is a prettier neighborhood with its brownstones. Ridgewood too, and it gets safety and good Polish food.

I would personally go based off of where one works though. Also, to not move to a ghetto...

Old 04-05-2018, 01:39 PM

I doubt rents will go down much in Williamsburg with the L train shutdown, but if they do, I'd jump all over it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City