Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2018, 02:44 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,313,805 times

Advertisements

The greed is really bad on the coasts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2018, 10:46 AM

672 posts, read 757,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Do you even know the country outside of occasional news features?

Have you even lived in the interior of the country?

Number one, you have decent sized cities in the middle of the country. You have major corporations operating out of, and headquartered in cities like Chicago, Nashville, Houston, Dallas, Denver, and so on. You do indeed have wealthy people, and upper middle class people in the middle of the country.

Of course, you do have more people and more money concentrated on the costs. But to portray anyplace not a Northeastern sea coast city or a West Coast city like the mountains of West Virginia is plain ridiculous!

I have known Trump supporters from NYC itself, and no, they weren't poor. I even know rich Trump supporters.

If anyone is using insane stereotypes, it's you, who apparently thinks that the whole country is one great prairie outside of a few coastal cities.
Of course there are millions of wealthy and UMC people outside the coastal cities. But I'm not referring to them, I'm referring to the poor and the working class. To restate: if you're born working class or poor in the interior of this country, you've lost the birth lottery and there's no moving up. Liberals therefore need to focus their efforts on class and general social mobility -- especially in the heartland -- rather than harping on the needs of protected groups.

And as you correctly stated, the median Trump voter had a higher income than the median Democrat. But I wasn't talking about them, either. I was referring to the fifty thousand or so white working class voters in rust-belt states who handed him the election.

Old 04-15-2018, 10:50 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,481,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compactspace View Post
Of course there are millions of wealthy and UMC people outside the coastal cities. But I'm not referring to them, I'm referring to the poor and the working class. To restate: if you're born working class or poor in the interior of this country, you've lost the birth lottery and there's no moving up. Liberals therefore need to focus their efforts on class and general social mobility -- especially in the heartland -- rather than harping on the needs of protected groups.

And as you correctly stated, the median Trump voter had a higher income than the median Democrat. But I wasn't talking about them, either. I was referring to the fifty thousand or so white working class voters in rust-belt states who handed him the election.
I find that Trump supporters like Trump mainly because of social issues.

Old 04-15-2018, 11:40 AM

3,960 posts, read 3,598,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
I honestly think SJW are garbage and FOS. Yes, there are problems in the society that need to be addressed and there is injustice.

But social justice warriors are not about positive change. They are about peddling victimhood and getting more "persecuted" people on their side to push whatever nonsensical, anti capitalist BS.

Could NYC have better racial relations? Yes. However, being a "minority" does not give one special privileges. Like anyone else people of color have to pay bills, buy food, etc. and there's no way if you can't pay.

It's up to the individual to take care of himself/herself and find ways to provide for his/her family.

Not denying discrimination can't happen, but if you seriously apply yourself you will find ways to move ahead in NYC. Screw the social justice warriors, and on this matter I will make some concessions to forum conservatives like G-Dale and Airborneguy.

Don't worry guys, I'm not changing my ideology and I still disagree with you a lot. However, since I value honesty about all others, yes, the social justice warriors and the poverty pimps and welfare programs have had a massively detrimental affect on NYC in terms of race relations and crime. I do think NYC was better off by having Giuliani and Bloomberg as mayors, for the PR work they did after various cleanups and attracting tourism and investment to NYC. Giuliani's clean up of Time Square got Disney to invest in Broadway, and that increased tourism to NYC and made more people want to live here. Bloomberg rezoned underutilized industrial areas for development.
I tend to agree with you about SJW's (have had some negative experiences with them). And yes, I'm a liberal.

Old 04-15-2018, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
I find that Trump supporters like Trump mainly because of social issues.
You are certainly misinformed.

Old 04-15-2018, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
For years SJW meant single Jewish woman in personal ads. Interestingly enough, the old SJW and new SJW overlap significantly.

I think the insidious problem of the newer SJW movement is that people are identified as morally privileged, elected, or presumed fit for the job now based on race .... the right race - i.e. non-white. While MLK was moving us to a point where we finally realized race does not beget or predict actions, behavior or indeed tell us anything whatsoever about a person, we pushed past the moral needle being in the center and now are telling the younger generation that race is important. That race does confer moral privilege, suitability for job, a requirement for election. The SJW movement has the white man as the epitome of evil and every other combination or race and gender on a spectrum between the white men as the devil up to saint at the other end. While that may serve some revenge/balancing the historical scales function in people's minds, it does not lead to a population growing up that sees people race-neutrally. Huffington Post, Salon etc and other liberal mainstream post about "White people" this and "white people that" - rather than ""Criminal white people this" and "Racist white people that" There is no modifier - its again race as an identifier of immorality. While you'll find "black people this" or "black people that" on the politics forum and others here, that's something we wanted to isolate and make unacceptable. But when kids read mainstream news telling you this race (white) does this and this race (white) does that - the corollary is not lost on them.

I'll guess 25-30 years down the line, though we had already started the process before it got derailed, we might get back on the track.
I agree.

Old 04-15-2018, 11:45 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,481,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
You are certainly misinformed.
Social issues are way more polarizing

Old 04-15-2018, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Social issues are way more polarizing
It is economic. Nothing was trickling down nor trickling up. It was getting stuck in the government or the pockets of the business elite.

Old 04-15-2018, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
It is economic. Nothing was trickling down nor trickling up. It was getting stuck in the government or the pockets of the business elite.
But if someone is worried about the economy, why would they vote for an incompetent person like Trump?

Old 04-15-2018, 12:43 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,972,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compactspace View Post

You’re completely wrong. Having lived in the interior of the country, there are obvious ways poor people move up. Those that join the military, after their device ends the military will pay for their college educations for free. I’ve known veterans to attend Columbia or other Ivy Leagues for free, both undergrad and grad. And many of these people were from the middle of the country.

They get subsidised mortgages, free medical and depending on how long they were in the service they get pensions. Or if they have any medical or psychological issues related to the military or combat.

Military service is not the only way people move up socioeconomically in the interior of the country. Getting degrees from state schools and becoming doctors, nurses, lawyers, and teachers. What disturbs me the most is people like you are so willing to spread lies to try to do anything to divide the country.

This is what happens in the era of fake news and Russian spies posting fake news online.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City