Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2018, 06:47 PM

3,357 posts, read 4,632,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
I vote for Bedford Park!! Yodel would love that and give her neighborhood the attention it so desperately needs!
I'd love it as long as you were in there ☺. The jail could be your third residence!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2018, 07:01 PM

11,199 posts, read 9,083,522 times
Quote:
I vote for Bedford Park!! Yodel would love that and give her neighborhood the attention it so desperately needs!
I vote for UES, UWS, Central Park, SoHo, Tribeca and Battery Park for the Manhattan jail.

Old 04-11-2018, 09:19 PM

954 posts, read 939,392 times
Downtown Brooklyn and Carroll gardens have had a jail for a long time.

There’s a 4 Star Hilton hotel/condo building right next door to it:
Hilton Brooklyn New York Hotel near Barclays Center

Old 04-11-2018, 09:41 PM

3,559 posts, read 2,400,272 times
Wealth is coming into cities now so nothing will get in the way of gentrification!

Old 04-11-2018, 09:52 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,477,629 times
should have invested in educating women, birth control, and abortion

would have nipped a lot of problems in the bud

Old 04-11-2018, 10:31 PM

14,055 posts, read 13,934,018 times
Quote:
BX officials show opposition to Mott Haven jail proposal

BX officials show opposition to Mott Haven jail proposal
Posted: Apr 06, 2018 4:31 PM EDT
Updated: Apr 06, 2018 9:37 PM EDT

MOTT HAVEN -

Bronx officials and community members are showing their displeasure toward the proposed site of a new jail that would be built in Mott Haven.

The city is considering opening the facility in an NYPD tow yard at the corner of East 141st Street and Concord Avenue as part of a plan to gradually move inmates from Rikers Island and eventually close the jail.

The planned location is in front of dozens of homes and is blocks away from several schools, including the Academic Leadership Charter School and Young Leaders Elementary.

Mayor Bill de Blasio announced the proposal along with plans to renovate three existing facilities as part of a campaign to create smaller and safer jails citywide.

But some have already shown anger toward the plans, saying the Bronx has become a hub for new businesses and developments, and placing inmates in the area would be a step back.

Bronx Councilman Rafael Salamanca Jr. is part of the opposition, saying that he is frustrated with the mayor's lack of communication when it comes to opening new jails. He also says a jail in his district needs to shut down.

One jail in particular, the Vernon C. Bain Center, has been an eyesore for the community of Hunts Point. It originally opened in the 1990s to help with the overflow of inmates from Rikers and has remained open since then.

"If he would've met with all Bronx elected officials before he wrote out that plan, we would've had a discussion as to what would've happened with the Vernon C. Bain Center," says Salamanca. "And there would've been proper discussions in terms of how do you roll out; how do you start closing down the smaller jails before you start planning on building other jails in the Bronx."

Some residents supported the plan, saying that they understood the issue of congestion in the city, and would be fine with the proposal as long as appropriate security measure were in place.

If the jail ends up being built, it would be the third within a three-mile radius.

The plan is not set in stone, and local officials like Councilman Salamanca hope to sit down with the mayor to discuss a better location to build this jail as the city continues to plan and work on closing down Rikers Island.
Hipsters are still going The Bronx been getting buzz lately on affordable rents.

Old 04-11-2018, 10:36 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,236,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
I'd love it as long as you were in there ☺. The jail could be your third residence!
Great clap back

Old 04-11-2018, 11:07 PM

499 posts, read 793,891 times
There's a jail in Boerum Hill and gentrification proceeds apace around it...

Old 04-12-2018, 06:18 AM

12,789 posts, read 8,290,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Hipsters are still going The Bronx been getting buzz lately on affordable rents.
lol@ "affordable"... $1500 to live in the South Bronx in a non-renovated apartment... No thanks...

Old 04-12-2018, 06:48 AM

132 posts, read 253,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Principle Lewis View Post
Downtown Brooklyn and Carroll gardens have had a jail for a long time.

There’s a 4 Star Hilton hotel/condo building right next door to it:
Hilton Brooklyn New York Hotel near Barclays Center

I live next door to the Hilton and it's true, the Brooklyn House of Detention is one block away. However, police presence is strong here. There is a police substation at the Schermerhorn/Hoyt A/G subway station not to mention the court officers at the Criminal Court (now renamed Central Court) right across the street from the Hilton. I feel very safe here. And yes, the area has become increasingly gentrified and continues to do so. Having said that, I doubt the Bronx would get the kind of policing it may take to keep things from getting out of control should a jail be built in Mott Haven. I'm from the Bronx and in my opinion, the biggest obstacle to neighborhood improvement (gentrification?) is the lack of businesses and services available. Even if you don't count the new City Point, downtown Brooklyn has Court St. and Atlantic Ave.--Sahadi's, Key Foods, a plethora of green grocers, movie theatre, Barnes and Noble (although I'm more of the indie bookstore type), drug stores,Trader Joe's etc...

Last edited by bronxgirl6; 04-12-2018 at 07:15 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City