U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2008, 11:29 AM

162 posts, read 251,234 times

Advertisements

Whenever I travel to Manhattan, it reminds me of Disney World, except full of adults. The way it looks, the large crowds and the way it feels. It's real nice, but It comes across as a giant tourist spot/playground.

Where are the real residential neighborhoods in (preferably downtown) Manhattan? SoHo was recommended but SoHo especially reminded me of Disney World. It is just horrible on the weekends; jam packed and full of tourists, posers, young girls acting out their favorite Sex and the City scenes and "socialites". I think it would get tiring after a while.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2008, 12:25 PM

2,954 posts, read 11,794,006 times
Soho is pretty crowded on the weekends. Better residential areas downtown are Greenwich Village (especially west of 6th Ave), Tribeca, the East Village (once you get away from the one block of St. Marks), the LES, if that's your thing. There is also the Union Square/Gramercy area or the southern part of Chelsea from 14th St to 20th or 23rd.

Unfortunately, in today's world, much of Manhattan is:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYLE1 View Post
full of tourists, posers, young girls acting out their favorite Sex and the City scenes and "socialites".
Quote:
I think it would get tiring after a while.
It does. It's why I left Manhattan.

Old 03-26-2008, 12:49 PM

7,079 posts, read 36,765,201 times
There are any number of residential areas. I live in a lovely area, near the East River, near a park, within a block of supermarkets, pharmacies, etc. and it's not crazy as it is in areas like SoHo. SoHo and Tribeca are, to me at least, not at all inviting. I like the UWS, as well. If you look at the Carnegie Hill area, it's extremely residential, since there are many private schools in the area.

Old 03-26-2008, 07:25 PM

67 posts, read 307,943 times
I personally hate when people visit and think all of New York City is like Times Square. There are some amazing neighborhoods throughout the five boroughs from the upper east and west sides of Manhattan, Harlem and Washington Heights uptown. Downtown I love Greenwich Village and Tribeca. Over in Brooklyn there are tons of great neighborhoods with historic buildings and dozens of brownstones.

Old 03-27-2008, 12:09 PM

2,954 posts, read 11,794,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctman1987 View Post
I personally hate when people visit and think all of New York City is like Times Square. There are some amazing neighborhoods throughout the five boroughs from the upper east and west sides of Manhattan, Harlem and Washington Heights uptown. Downtown I love Greenwich Village and Tribeca. Over in Brooklyn there are tons of great neighborhoods with historic buildings and dozens of brownstones.
Agreed but the OP went to Soho and thought it was a zoo. Which it is on the weekend.

I kind of like Tribeca, not enough to pay $8000 a month for a loft, but it's an interesting place. Closer down to W Bwy and Chambers is not so desolate, it's like a normal neighborhood. Up by Laight and Watts it gets less inviting.

Old 03-27-2008, 12:29 PM

1,410 posts, read 5,072,259 times
Quote:
Where are the real residential neighborhoods in (preferably downtown) Manhattan? .
That's one of the problems right there. You are limiting yourself to a very small part of NYC. It's like thinking you've seen the real LA by visiting Hollywood and Vine.

Old 03-30-2008, 11:43 AM

11 posts, read 37,396 times
The fact is that Manhattan has many areas that are quiet and rather treelined. Many blocks on the Upeer West Side and Upper East Side especially off Central Park.
I live in the West Village, which I can't recommend enough, but it can get a little nutty on Saturday night. The further West the quieter. Gramercy is usually quieter than most.
Chelsea has beautiful blocks and can be more mellow than many other areas.
Be careful though...Being in the business, I can attest to the fact that Downtown can be the most expensive rents/sales in the City. Worth it for those of us that love it though. Good Luck!

Old 03-30-2008, 01:09 PM

6,966 posts, read 19,633,553 times
quite a few blocks in Manhattan are residential. just venture north or south of midtown. as folks posted, parts of the E & W Village, UES & UWS are very residential and get very quiet.

when you think of SoHo as a zoo, you're obviously venturing along Broadway & Houston. there are plenty of quiter areas, if you get off the beaten path.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: