U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 11:45 AM

2,775 posts, read 10,914,323 times

Advertisements

What are the numbers so far this year? Anybody know?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2008, 12:53 PM

2,978 posts, read 3,455,301 times
What do you care...you believe this city is rife with death and crime...so whether it is 10,000 or 500...it's all the same to you.

Old 03-26-2008, 12:53 PM

395 posts, read 400,356 times
check the nypd stats website...dont be lazy. dont ask us to do ur homework.

Old 03-26-2008, 12:57 PM

Vincent he is just looking for a reason to argue about what a cesspool of filth and crime the city is...as he looks on from the "suburban oasis, and colored people free" Westchester County. I dunno why he continues to troll the NYC boards....Westchester has their own sections.

Old 03-26-2008, 01:12 PM

2,775 posts, read 10,914,323 times
NYPD's stats won't work on our computer. I won't mention this anywhere else, I'm just wondering and trying to figure something out. If you don't like the thread, don't reply. Simple as that. I'm not going to stop making threads because you don't like them. You're all adults here, grow up a little and deal with it. It's not like you HAVE to click on it.

Old 03-26-2008, 01:16 PM

I enjoy exposing you for the fear monger and irrational poster that you are...no worries! I am sure whatever number it is...you will spin it in the most negative light possible...

Old 03-26-2008, 01:24 PM

5,684 posts, read 18,407,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCop View Post
What are the numbers so far this year? Anybody know?
According to the Murder book (which was created to see if NYPD compstat indeed leaves out certain homicides) As of March 26, 2008 there has been:

103 homicides in NYC...

NYPD compstat through March 23, 2006 has recorded 99 homicides. So far they have recorded all the homicides (from March 24th-26th there has been 4 additional homicides not yet counted). This represents a 20.7% increase from last year, where they had 82. Last time I calculated, the city was on pace for about 650 homicides. Not sure if still the case.

Here are some breakdowns:

January = 36 homicides
Febuary = 31 homicides
March (3/26th) = 36 homicides

January break down :

Bronx: 11 homicides
Queens: 9 homicides
Manhattan : 9 homicides
Brooklyn : 6 homicides

Of the victims whose ethnicity was known

12 were Black
6 were Hispanic
1 was White

Febuary break down:

Bronx: 12 homicides
Queens : 7 homicides
Manhattan : 6 homicides
Brooklyn : 6 homicides

Of the victims whoe ethnicity was known

9 were black
8 were hispanic
5 were white
1 was Asian
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Now let's take a breather.......For the first two months the Bronx had 23/67 homicides in the city....or 34%...this from the smallest of the 4 major boroughs. Truly living up to it's rep. On the other hand Brooklyn only had 12, so did you really think Brooklyn would stay down...haha...guess again...

My calculations for March

Brooklyn: 17
Bronx: 8
Queens: 7
Manhattan: 2
Staten Island: 2

Brooklyn is crazy!

Here is the murder book website....I check it daily......The Murder Book 2008 (http://tacomaconfidential.typepad.com/the_murder_book_2008/ - broken link)

I will also work on a Bronx homicide map....for my Bronx neighbors.

Old 03-26-2008, 01:33 PM

Hey thanks for the info...that was very eye opening....and summer has not even hit yet!!! I have seen swarms of cops in my area (Mott Haven) since late November or so...and "activity" has been considerably low from what I can tell. I have not personally seen the uptick in crime...or felt a difference...I have though seen a noticeable increase in police presence however.

Bronx seems to be increasing in homicide...I think that is somewhat expected as that element continues to be pushed back to smaller areas. The thugs are hampering down in the Bronx and giving it all they got to maintain turf....seems to be a losing battle at this point but they are not going out without a fight.

Although an increased homicide rate is a very bad thing, somethign good may come out of it. The city will make a greater commitment to the Bronx with even more cops, and finally gain back control of those communities that still maintain a stranglehold.

Old 03-26-2008, 01:36 PM

I think you should really not say "this from the smallest of the 4 major boroughs...truly living up to its rep" I think that is a borderline deceptive statement...the smallest borough is in fact Staten Island...so let's say "this from the 2nd smallest of the 5 boroughs" And the only rep that the Bronx "truly" has is the borough with the most parkland, most educational institutions, and most affordable housing. The recent high-crime rep is only over the last 30 years...and not what the Bronx is "truly" known for at all.

Old 03-26-2008, 02:00 PM

5,684 posts, read 18,407,507 times
Overall for the city, I think crime is slightly down. The only increase is in homicides.

The Bronx has increased in crimes along with homicides. I dont know how to explain that. The highest crime precincts have Impact, but only the 52nd is down. The other ones are higher this year than last in crimes. The bad precincts without Impact have had a huge spike. But you truly feel it in areas were you least expect it. The 50th/49th precinct have increased.

I guess the poor keep getting pushed to the Bronx...meaning areas formerly desirable are now regressing.

There's not much else the city can do. If crime is still up even with all these cops, then I dont know. If you take Impact out of the 40th and 52nd and add it to Hunts Point (crazy this year) and Soundview (also crazy)...then those areas will decrease but Mott Haven and Fordham-Bedford wil be through the roof. I also read that the number of police officers would drop starting June....I will see if I can get the article.

But it's still early...so who knows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or