Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2018, 06:22 PM

7,898 posts, read 7,823,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventhfloor View Post
yeah but its pretty messed up that in his way of thinking, self-immolation was the best option. Same with the cab driver that committed suicide in front of city hall. It's sad. That's why i don't take anything for granted.
+1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2018, 08:45 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,665,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Yeah but its pretty messed up that in his way of thinking, self-immolation was the best option. Same with the cab driver that committed suicide in front of City Hall. It's sad. That's why I don't take anything for granted.
Sad for his family, not sad for the poop for brains who doesn't value life when there's so many people out there with cancer or in bad situations where they would trade anything for just a few more days

Old 04-16-2018, 10:11 PM

3,475 posts, read 3,267,284 times
From the article I gathered he was a healthy, well educated lawyer, openly gay with a long term partner, 60 year old man, Park Slope resident. Fought for gay rights and environmental issues.

He picked self immolation by fossil fuels to bring attention to pollution in hopes his death would move people to take it more seriously. He emailed his suicide note to several media outlets and placed a hand written one in a shopping cart nearby his death scene.

I get it but I don't get it. He fought his whole life for issues he passionately believed in and his final act was his legacy to that. Yet at the same time he was giving up the fight.

It doesn't add up. I guess that is the depths of depression.

Old 04-16-2018, 10:15 PM

3,114 posts, read 2,690,380 times
"Setting yourself on fire because you couldn't instantly change the world into your image is not the answer for a person in their right mind."

The guy spent years and years helping to bring about major social change, I don't think he couldn't grasp that change isn't usually instant.

Sad for the guy, sad for his family and friends, funny, I guess, for people too brain-damaged to have basic empathy.

Old 04-16-2018, 10:20 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,892,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Sad for his family, not sad for the poop for brains who doesn't value life when there's so many people out there with cancer or in bad situations where they would trade anything for just a few more days
Did you do a medical exam on this man? He could have had cancer or some other terminal illness. We don't really know the full story.

Old 04-16-2018, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry Lee Gather View Post
From the article I gathered he was a healthy, well educated lawyer, openly gay with a long term partner, 60 year old man, Park Slope resident. Fought for gay rights and environmental issues.

He picked self immolation by fossil fuels to bring attention to pollution in hopes his death would move people to take it more seriously. He emailed his suicide note to several media outlets and placed a hand written one in a shopping cart nearby his death scene.

I get it but I don't get it. He fought his whole life for issues he passionately believed in and his final act was his legacy to that. Yet at the same time he was giving up the fight.

It doesn't add up. I guess that is the depths of depression.
He focused on representing clients at non profits. He may not have had much money, and it's quite possible he had major financial problems. Not all lawyers are rich. Just saying there's a lot we will never know about this situation, because this stuff is confidential and it's not like the news reporters are going to investigate his life that much.

Old 04-16-2018, 11:08 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,210,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Did you do a medical exam on this man? He could have had cancer or some other terminal illness. We don't really know the full story.
I read somewhere that said he was in good heath

Old 04-17-2018, 01:23 AM

3,475 posts, read 3,267,284 times
Ya the article said that before he died he said he was blessed to be in good health. We know that's not entirely true when his suicidal ideation includes death by fire.

It could be money problems, or his lover left him, or he was just depressed.

I think it was just depression. Having worked in that business he picked the suicide hours to go. In the 5 o'clock and 6 o'clock am hours we'd get the calls for suicides every week consistently around this time. Sometimes several times a week.

For someone who wanted it to mean something he picked the quiet hours to go. The quiet death in a public place. If he wanted it more sensational and talked about with further reach he should have live streamed it on social media.

There are probably other details they won't release that confirm it. Suicides happen so frequently most aren't reported on unless they're unusual like stepping in front of a train or it's a child that does it. In this case it was lighting himself on fire. Don't see that everyday.

Last edited by Merrily Gather; 04-17-2018 at 01:38 AM..

Old 04-17-2018, 07:28 AM

33,886 posts, read 47,082,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Well the cab driver was in poor health already.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 04-17-2018, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry Lee Gather View Post
Ya the article said that before he died he said he was blessed to be in good health. We know that's not entirely true when his suicidal ideation includes death by fire.

It could be money problems, or his lover left him, or he was just depressed.

I think it was just depression. Having worked in that business he picked the suicide hours to go. In the 5 o'clock and 6 o'clock am hours we'd get the calls for suicides every week consistently around this time. Sometimes several times a week.

For someone who wanted it to mean something he picked the quiet hours to go. The quiet death in a public place. If he wanted it more sensational and talked about with further reach he should have live streamed it on social media.

There are probably other details they won't release that confirm it. Suicides happen so frequently most aren't reported on unless they're unusual like stepping in front of a train or it's a child that does it. In this case it was lighting himself on fire. Don't see that everyday.
It could be just depression, but in situations like this people may not want to release embarrassing details like his lover left him.

I remember a young man who committed suicide after his father died. The rumor was that he had HIV, upon other problems, and his father dying was the last straw. He had been depressed for awhile. I knew the family well, so I'm thinking there was truth to the matter of his medical problem.

The article said he was in good health, but revealing any medical problems without authorization results in a huge lawsuit from this man's estate or family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City