Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2018, 12:48 PM

1,795 posts, read 1,877,896 times

Advertisements

I wonder if denying people bathroom access has more do to with drug use than race? I always took it that way especially with the bad heroin problems right now all over America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2018, 12:55 PM

769 posts, read 1,015,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellUpInHarlem View Post
Yeah, they do this bullsh it (especially at Starbucks) where you gotta purchase somethin to get the code for the bathroom, or u will be denied access. The one on 14th & 8th lets you go with not a problem. Before they went easy on minute quality of life issues such as peeing in public, it’s like u are caught between a rock and a hard place. Try and use the bathroom indoors, or go out in public, do what u need to do, the 12 roll up and pop u with a ticket
Chipotle and Whole Foods also require a purchase to use the restroom.

The manager at the Philladelhia Starbucks did not actually get fired, but he was moved to another store. NYWRITERDUDE with more paid disinformation and fake news.

Retailers have every right to do this to protect their facilities for paying customers in larger US cities where you have heroine junkees and the homeless locking themselves in the facilities and paying customers cannot use them.

The two guys in the Philladelhia Starbucks obviously aren't homeless or junkees, but we do not know how many times that particular location has actually had to deal with that problem, so perhaps the employees are extra vigilant about the issue.

Starbucks corporate leaders are your typical alt leftist virtue signaling neo liberals. They live in all white gated communities, but they pretend to espouse the virtues of the poor and lower class. Just like all of the NY News media owns homes in the Hamptons, and they bring in token minorities to their weekend parties to put up the illusion of being a tolerant and progressive liberal. It's the biggest scam going in NY.

Old 04-17-2018, 01:34 PM

782 posts, read 527,368 times
I’ve noticed some of the NYC Starbucks locations getting more strict with their bathrooms in the past couple of years or so. Adding key codes or requiring an employee to open the door.

I’m a little confused with the Philly situation. So a couple of guys asked to use the bathroom, were told it was for paying customers only, and then proceeded to just sit down without buying anything? I mean, that’s kind of blatantly wrong, no? I know there’s more to this regarding how the manager handled the situation and whether race played a role, but I would just buy something at this point if I was staying in the store regardless of whether or not I needed the bathroom. I mean, refusing to let someone use the bathroom means they’re serious about customers only in the store. And the guys are just going to sit there?

Old 04-17-2018, 01:36 PM

12,789 posts, read 8,293,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC305 View Post
I’ve noticed some of the NYC Starbucks locations getting more strict with their bathrooms in the past couple of years or so. Adding key codes or requiring an employee to open the door.

I’m a little confused with the Philly situation. So a couple of guys asked to use the bathroom, were told it was for paying customers only, and then proceeded to just sit down without buying anything? I mean, that’s kind of blatantly wrong, no? I know there’s more to this regarding how the manager handled the situation and whether race played a role, but I would just buy something at this point if I was staying in the store regardless of whether or not I needed the bathroom. I mean, refusing to let someone use the bathroom means they’re serious about customers only in the store. And the guys are just going to sit there?
That's where I think the problem lies.... They didn't buy anything after the fact. Technically they were trespassing. Had they just came in and sat down, I doubt anyone would've said anything. I've been in various Starbucks for business meetings and didn't buy a thing and no one said anything, but I also didn't ask to use the bathroom.

Old 04-17-2018, 01:37 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexaMatthews View Post
The video shows what it wants to show. We are not sure if they had a verbal altercation of some kind with the manager when asking to use the restroom. Just try to keep an open mind that not everything was shown in the news, nor would we ever know unless we witnessed the entire thing.
Starbucks is shutting down ALL STARBUCKS stores on May 29th in order to retrain the employees. For the company to take this degree of responsibility, quite CLEARLY the manager was wrong.

Stop trying to make up lies for what happened, STARBUCKS itself has admitted the employee was wrong.

I've known people to sit in Starbucks for HOURS without buying anything. There isn't a requirement that you buy something, though some Starbucks in theory will make you buy something to get the code to the bathroom. But if you wait next to the bathroom for someone to come out, you can go in the bathroom and the Starbucks staff never say anything.

Old 04-17-2018, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ughhnyc View Post
Chipotle and Whole Foods also require a purchase to use the restroom.

The manager at the Philladelhia Starbucks did not actually get fired, but he was moved to another store. NYWRITERDUDE with more paid disinformation and fake news.

Retailers have every right to do this to protect their facilities for paying customers in larger US cities where you have heroine junkees and the homeless locking themselves in the facilities and paying customers cannot use them.

The two guys in the Philladelhia Starbucks obviously aren't homeless or junkees, but we do not know how many times that particular location has actually had to deal with that problem, so perhaps the employees are extra vigilant about the issue.

Starbucks corporate leaders are your typical alt leftist virtue signaling neo liberals. They live in all white gated communities, but they pretend to espouse the virtues of the poor and lower class. Just like all of the NY News media owns homes in the Hamptons, and they bring in token minorities to their weekend parties to put up the illusion of being a tolerant and progressive liberal. It's the biggest scam going in NY.
http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefi...leaves-company

That article says the manager left the company.

Anyone who is a corporate leader is not leftist. You are aware Starbucks is a major corporation, and communists do not run corporations. Anyone who is not trailer part trash worshipping Trump according to fools like you is a communist.

Old 04-17-2018, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnytang24 View Post
Yes, stores absolutely can discriminate based on dress, which is not a protected class. Restaurants that require suit and tie. No gang colors or wife beaters at clubs. Retail banks let high value clients use their non-public bathrooms. See how they treat you at Tourneau if you go in wearing a fast food uniform vs a Patek Phillipe.

Your statements are compete nonsense.
I've never been to a restaurant that required a suit and tie. Clubs are a different matter and can even be members only.

But again, stores cannot discriminate on dress and if someone is going to the pharmacy, the drug store, the fast food chain, or any basic retail store the store and the employees absolutely cannot discriminate on dress. mod edit

Last edited by Airborneguy; 04-19-2018 at 05:15 AM.. Reason: Name calling

Old 04-17-2018, 01:46 PM

Quote:
@NyWriterDude,

The fact you noted language is important and one must be careful already says it all. It equals and translates to ones appearance and attire. They are inter-related.

Yes, that beard is a messy look and honestly makes me feel uncomfortable. Clean cut is very important. Yes. Tattoos are clearly an issue. I know a woman who has a huge tiger tattoo across her bosom. She's just thankful she has to wear a 2 piece suit cause she knows no one is going to deal with that.

Also, at one of my jobs, my coworker went on an internal interview dressed in sweats. After the interview, the hiring manager went to her current manager and said: I cant believe you sent a candidate dressed like that.

The following week, our staff meeting was dedicated to proper attire and etiquette. Sad part is, the person who wore sweats didn't even know she was the cause of topic. Just sad where certain people aren't educated about appearance and have to suffer it their whole life. Someone I know who is black always tells me she puts on her caucasian voice during phone interviews. I wonder why that is? Any insight?
That is your problem that beard makes you look uncomfortable, and you need to quit your job since it makes you feel uncomfortable. Actually are you a man hating lesbian? Men naturally have beards and though so may chose to shave their beards, facial hair is a secondary sexual characteristic and if you hate men so much you should work as the lesbian bar.

Only some of those women will have tattoos! Ooops, you can't even do that.

Clean cut is not important at all, and if you actually have lived in NYC or other major cities and seen people who work in tech or media you'd know that.

As for the Black person, I speak the same way all the time, at least in English. Of course, I speak Spanish pretty well and I am learning Hebrew.

Old 04-17-2018, 01:51 PM

Quote:
The video shows what it wants to show. We are not sure if they had a verbal altercation of some kind with the manager when asking to use the restroom. Just try to keep an open mind that not everything was shown in the news, nor would we ever know unless we witnessed the entire thing.
The other customers who were white can clearly be heard saying they didn't do anything. Starbucks is shutting down all Starbucks stores May 29th for training purposes.

This manager caused severe economic damage to Starbucks itself. So if you can't see that, you don't deserve the job you say you have, because you are so prejudiced you'd cause your own company financial loss.

Is AlexaMatthews your real name? How would your employer feel about the posts you make here? Would that cause a very interesting discussion at your job? Since there are profiles of AlexaMatthews as a recruiter online.....................

Old 04-17-2018, 02:00 PM

Quote:
You say you work as a recruiter and are going on about an appearance. An AlexaMatthews according to LinkedIn works at a recruiter at a particular employer. Should have a discussion about your employer and your posts, since you are posting under your name here and potentially damaging their brand?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City