Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2018, 10:45 AM

5 posts, read 4,372 times

Advertisements

pierrepont7731- I still think it's good to get information from people who know the area vs. going off of assumptions/google maps. But thanks for the information on the subway, I didn't even think to look for hilly areas.

SeventhFloor- yeah, always need to be cautious everywhere, completely agree.

iammax- Thank you for all of your help, I appreciate it But I'll definitely check out which has less uphill walking, that's good advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2018, 10:45 AM

12,788 posts, read 8,276,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
I treat anywhere in the city the same no matter where I am at

Enough of this

Just because I'm walking down Fifth Avenue means I can wear jewelry and be careless with my electronic devices in public now? It's ridiculous. Anything can happen any place at any time.

And quite frankly, we're just as guilty for perpetuating this crap with these transplants, myself included.

OP, it's an urban environment. I'm not saying that you're not right to feel scared or apprehensive about going to certain areas, but it would not be in your best interest to let your guard down because you think the neighborhood is safer, criminals have legs and they can walk or drive anywhere they want.

I'm one of those types who if I were to live in an area where everybody leaves their front door unlocked, I would still lock mine.
Agreed. It's annoying... I live in a very safe neighborhood and I still take precautions. I would be a fool not to. As you said, things can happen anywhere. I'm more likely to be robbed Downtown or Midtown than in my own neighborhood that's for sure.

Old 04-20-2018, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haaleylynn View Post
pierrepont7731- I still think it's good to get information from people who know the area vs. going off of assumptions/google maps. But thanks for the information on the subway, I didn't even think to look for hilly areas.

SeventhFloor- yeah, always need to be cautious everywhere, completely agree.

iammax- Thank you for all of your help, I appreciate it But I'll definitely check out which has less uphill walking, that's good advice.
It is but people who create these threads act like they're entering a war zone or something. This is not Palestine where you have bombs and such being dropped at random. NYC has some of the lowest crime rates around. A lot of these areas that people are asking about today were full of crime and drugs back in the day and I'm in some of them regularly. NYC is expensive and people have to live where they can afford. I remember what parts of Harlem looked like as a kid years ago. Burnt out buildings galore and crack being sold out in the open...

When I was a teen there was this thing where you weren't supposed to go above 96th street or even 86th street in some cases. This isn't the same NYC anymore. Use commonsense and don't give off this I'm a sheltered suburban brat and you'll be fine.

Old 04-20-2018, 10:53 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,613,829 times
It's a relocation forum, I don't see the issue of the question particularly if the person is unfamiliar with the area. This is one of the few places to go for anecdotal information that aren't people you know personally.

The OP will be fine if he's done Brownsville. I still struggle with East New York and I hang with people in the projects in Manhattan.

Old 04-20-2018, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javawood View Post
It's a relocation forum, I don't see the issue of the question particularly if the person is unfamiliar with the area. This is one of the few places to go for anecdotal information that aren't people you know personally.

The OP will be fine if he's done Brownsville. I still struggle with East New York and I hang with people in the projects in Manhattan.
This forum covers various topics. Since when did this become a "relocation forum"? Please. Stop making excuses for peoples' ignorance and stupidity. I'm a New Yorker and I'm just telling it like it is. If these transplants can't deal with a little crime, they need to stay where they're at and stop coming here and grow a pair.

I've lived in Europe. You think I had a friggin' forum to tell me what rough areas to avoid? No... I used common sense! I've been to Naples in the hood... I was just fine and there's the camorra there and definitely some parts you want to avoid.

Old 04-20-2018, 11:03 AM

34,003 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javawood View Post

If you want to get technical, then it should be about moving

Not will I get robbed walking in this neighborhood because of how I look

IMO 2 separate issues.

Don't get it twisted. I'm not saying that it's even wrong to ask

But it's a city of 8 million people. I simply will not let my guard down because one area can be safer than the other, I saw a lady get her purse snatched right on the corner of 86th and Lexington Avenue in broad daylight once.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 04-20-2018, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
If you want to get technical, then it should be about moving

Not will I get robbed walking in this neighborhood because of how I look

IMO 2 separate issues.

Don't get it twisted. I'm not saying that it's even wrong to ask

But it's a city of 8 million people. I simply will not let my guard down because one area can be safer than the other, I saw a lady get her purse snatched right on the corner of 86th and Lexington Avenue in broad daylight once.
Not only that, but now the trend is for drug dealers to go to the "safe neighborhoods" and set up their drug stashes there because cops tend to patrol safe areas less. You also have other thieves going to the "safer" monied areas because when they look to rob people they want to rob people with money, so the whole safe/dangerous routine is outdated. Be aware of your surroundings at all times. Simple as that.

Old 04-20-2018, 12:03 PM

34,003 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Not only that, but now the trend is for drug dealers to go to the "safe neighborhoods" and set up their drug stashes there because cops tend to patrol safe areas less. You also have other thieves going to the "safer" monied areas because when they look to rob people they want to rob people with money, so the whole safe/dangerous routine is outdated. Be aware of your surroundings at all times. Simple as that.
Exactly, most of the crap that goes on in the hood is personal.

Ask NyWriterdude, he's lived in a lot of hoods in NYC and nobody bothers him, so if he can do it, OP can do it

Haha

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 04-20-2018, 12:32 PM

37,119 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
Thank you for responding. Do you know if the A at 175 would be a better walk to 177 and St. Nicholas. Or the 1 at 181. According to google they're similar in distance, just didn't know if one would be a safer walk. Thanks
Just to take whichever one is the shorter commute or has more interesting things on the way to and from. There's way more of an active presence of people just going about doing their own thing in Washington Heights at any time of day than there is in Brownsville. I feel like you may be under a mistaken idea of how dangerous it is unless you're particularly prone to doing foolhardy things.

Old 04-20-2018, 12:34 PM

11,198 posts, read 9,074,137 times
Quote:
Thank you for responding. Do you know if the A at 175 would be a better walk to 177 and St. Nicholas. Or the 1 at 181. According to google they're similar in distance, just didn't know if one would be a safer walk. Thanks
Where exactly are you coming from?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City