Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2018, 04:55 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,315,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
And there is a lot of ethnic food in Western Brooklyn anyway. Even the yuppie neighborhoods have ethnic offerings, plus Sunset Park and Bay Ridge are in Western Brooklyn.
I don't think the OP is including either Sunset Park or Bay Ridge in the definition of Western Brooklyn. I think he is referring to Downtown Brooklyn and the old South Brooklyn as Western Brooklyn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2018, 05:07 PM

37,152 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Williamsburg is North Brooklyn. You sound like you don't know Brooklyn very well.
Yea, it is, but there’s also nothing that’s really designated as Western Brooklyn exactly, especially since the OP left out Sunset Park and Bay Ridge which are true west, so it might as well be a loosely cobbled together thing.

I don’t get why you and SeventhFloor ride this guy so often.

Old 04-24-2018, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Yea, it is, but there’s also nothing that’s really designated as Western Brooklyn exactly, especially since the OP left out Sunset Park and Bay Ridge which are true west, so it might as well be a loosely cobbled together thing.

Maybe Sunset Park could be included. At least you can make an argument for it to be. But Bay Ridge, no way. That is definitely Southern Brooklyn.

Also for Queens, I wouldn't include Woodside and Jackson Heights. That is Central Queens. Sunnyside would be included though.

Old 04-24-2018, 06:15 PM

329 posts, read 299,409 times
Brooklyn forever

Old 04-24-2018, 08:41 PM

34,096 posts, read 47,293,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post

Yes you do get it. Otherwise you wouldn't have even said it.

You know this is a "gentrified" discussion.

Nothing south of 20th Street basically.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 04-24-2018, 08:42 PM

34,096 posts, read 47,293,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mannyberrios View Post
Brooklyn forever
I've easily had some of the best and worst times of my life in Brooklyn, no question....

Brooklyn stand Up

I don't like Western Queens. Can't do it. The area just always seemed weird to me. Western Brooklyn is easy and fun.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 04-25-2018, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
I've easily had some of the best and worst times of my life in Brooklyn, no question....

Brooklyn stand Up

I don't like Western Queens. Can't do it. The area just always seemed weird to me. Western Brooklyn is easy and fun.
Western Brooklyn ain't much better. IMO, Central Brooklyn, North Brooklyn, Central Queens and Southwest Queens is the heart of the outerboros.

Old 04-25-2018, 06:18 PM

37,152 posts, read 39,404,784 times
By the OP’s definition of the areas

Foodies - Western Queens overall, especially if we’re running all the way out to woodside and jackson heights; about equitable if Western Brooklyn included Sunset Park
Transportation - Western Brooklyn overall
Nightlife/Entertainment - Western Brooklyn; nightlife isn’t great in either, but there’s just more going on in Western Brooklyn for overall entertainment
Jobs - Western Brooklyn, maybe this will change with all the new construction in LIC at some point, but I doubt it since dumbo and downtown brooklyn are also constructing more office space and this area is already ahead
Walkable - Western Brooklyn; the LIRR tracks and Sunnyside Yards split Western Queens and LIC’s shiny new buildings really could do a better job of keeping things interesting at ground level
Things to do - Western Brooklyn—I think this ties in with Nightlife/Entertainment a lot

Old 04-25-2018, 07:15 PM

Where is the nightlife in Western Brooklyn? I assume Dumbo or Gowanus? Maybe Red Hook?

Food, definitely more options around Woodside and Jackson Heights than Sunset Park.

Not sure I'd consider the Sunnyside Yards all that much worse than the BQE.

Old 04-25-2018, 07:34 PM

2,691 posts, read 4,330,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Where is the nightlife in Western Brooklyn? I assume Dumbo or Gowanus? Maybe Red Hook?

Food, definitely more options around Woodside and Jackson Heights than Sunset Park.

Not sure I'd consider the Sunnyside Yards all that much worse than the BQE.
Wouldn’t BAM and Barclays Center be considered western BK? Also given that nyc has less of a cub scene and more of a bar scene, what do you consider “nightlife”?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: