Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2018, 07:12 AM

3,960 posts, read 3,595,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
What's this "many" Italians nonsense? There are some Italians that are Jewish. Many is a bit of a stretch.
Hmm, hit a nerve there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2018, 07:28 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Quote:
What's this "many" Italians nonsense? There are some Italians that are Jewish. Many is a bit of a stretch.
Many. Because the Spanish Inquisition FORCED the conversions of Jews to Catholics, many Italians have Jewish ancestry.

Sicily, Sardinia, and Southern Italy were under the Spanish crown for centuries and really only escaped Spanish control due to the War of Spanish Succession (Spain gave up rights to Sardinia and Southern Italy and kept Sicily for awhile longer).

I'm not speaking of Italians who are currently Jewish, but those who are descended from Jews who the Spanish Inquisition forced to convert, and that is MANY.

Old 04-26-2018, 07:32 AM

The Inquisition in Sicily - Best of Sicily Magazine

"An estimated 80% converted and Jewish practice all but became invisible in those regions. On the other hand, while northern communities, such as those in Milan, Rome and Mantua lived turbulent lives, they were large and established enough to remain intact."

The Mystery of San Nicandro

Old 04-26-2018, 07:36 AM

Did Modern Jews Originate in Italy? | Science | AAAS

Ashkenazi Jews test genetically very closely to Italians. There's a lot of correlation, especially giving the past of Judaism in Italy.

Old 04-26-2018, 07:38 AM

Here's more on Italian crypto-Jews. Crypto-Jew is a person whose family did not maintain Judaism but instead assimilated into the general population.

Forgotten Jews of Southern Italy

More research is being done on this as we speak.

Old 04-26-2018, 07:55 AM

Quote:
No. I Just hate how Jews cry the victim card. If you're going to cry about racism (I mean Jews in general), then have the same level of tolerance against others that you expect, but I've met plenty of racist ignorant Jews. They're known to be extremely racist against blacks and other minorities.
Multiple pograms, forced conversions, burnings at the stake (the Spanish Inquisition, other expulsions), etc tend to leave people a little sensitive. Other minorities in Europe were also forced to convert to Christianity or expelled or killed and that includes Muslims (they were also victims of the Spanish Inquisition). Of course the Catholic church told the Catholic Reyes of Spain that they had the right to conquer and enslave non Christian people. So yes, religious persecution or persecution of any kind does make people complain. It wasn't that along ago the Germans killed six million Jews, along with gypsies, gays, and others deemed undesirable by the Nazis.

Are you suggesting people be happy about genocide just because anyone discussing anything you don't like makes you feel uncomfortable?

Old 04-26-2018, 08:49 AM

12,788 posts, read 8,279,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Multiple pograms, forced conversions, burnings at the stake (the Spanish Inquisition, other expulsions), etc tend to leave people a little sensitive. Other minorities in Europe were also forced to convert to Christianity or expelled or killed and that includes Muslims (they were also victims of the Spanish Inquisition). Of course the Catholic church told the Catholic Reyes of Spain that they had the right to conquer and enslave non Christian people. So yes, religious persecution or persecution of any kind does make people complain. It wasn't that along ago the Germans killed six million Jews, along with gypsies, gays, and others deemed undesirable by the Nazis.

Are you suggesting people be happy about genocide just because anyone discussing anything you don't like makes you feel uncomfortable?
I'm suggesting people stop being f-ing hypocrites. Is it clear now?

Old 04-26-2018, 08:49 AM

5,000 posts, read 8,212,921 times
This dense, verbose attempt at differentiating between ultra-orthodox/hasids which is a small percentage of jews in this city and regular non-secular jewish folk is essentially meaningless. Any violence or hate crimes that occur, happen towards the former. Nobody is targeting regular folk who are not involved in a cult. Only the ultra-orthodox or ‘sids. And to be honest, it’s tough to hold a whole heavy feeling of sympathy for the ‘sids. They despise anybody outside of the cult and are not shy about showing it. If they want to have some sort of inbred utopia free of any backlash, I guess find some vast open rural land. Which I hate actually saying, as I love nature and the outdoors and they are increasingly doing that upstate. I will say I do feel bad for the women though. They seem to be prisoners.

Old 04-26-2018, 08:53 AM

Quote:
I'm suggesting people stop being f-ing hypocrites. Is it clear now?
No, it's not. You suggested they were playing the "victim" card........

Old 04-26-2018, 08:55 AM

12,788 posts, read 8,279,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
This dense, verbose attempt at differentiating between ultra-orthodox/hasids which is a small percentage of jews in this city and regular non-secular jewish folk is essentially meaningless. Any violence or hate crimes that occur, happen towards the former. Nobody is targeting regular folk who are not involved in a cult. Only the ultra-orthodox or ‘sids. And to be honest, it’s tough to hold a whole heavy feeling of sympathy for the ‘sids. They despise anybody outside of the cult and are not shy about showing it. If they want to have some sort of inbred utopia free of any backlash, I guess find some vast open rural land. Which I hate actually saying, as I love nature and the outdoors and they are increasingly doing that upstate. I will say I do feel bad for the women though. They seem to be prisoners.
It's not just them either. I've seen other Jews involved with their veiled racism. They just try to hide it now in 2018, which is why I don't feel sorry for them. If you're going to cry about racism then treat people as you wish to be treated. As far as I'm concerned it's BS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City