Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2018, 04:40 PM

14,000 posts, read 13,791,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
A colleague at my school wanted to move to The Bronx to cut way down on her commute.She was living on Long Island... out by exit 60 somewhere She makes about 75,000 and couldn't find anything in her price range( didn't want to pay more than 1,500) in The Bronx so she rented a place in Pelham(Westchester)! Pelham is a very nice town and it's right on the Bronx border but the rents are much better there.
Pelham is expensive
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2018, 05:34 AM

329 posts, read 202,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
30 minute subway ride from where? Most parts of the Bronx are not 30 minutes especially with how horrible the subways have become.
B train from midtown to Yankee Stadium takes me about 30 minutes.

Old 05-04-2018, 07:13 AM

12,742 posts, read 8,193,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry88 View Post
B train from midtown to Yankee Stadium takes me about 30 minutes.
That's a bit of an exaggeration. The B is only 30 minutes from there on a good day and you're not saying where in Midtown. 59th street? Could be doable if there are no delays.

Old 05-04-2018, 09:17 AM

329 posts, read 202,416 times
Quote:
That's a bit of an exaggeration. The B is only 30 minutes from there on a good day and you're not saying where in Midtown. 59th street? Could be doable if there are no delays.
No it's not an exaggeration. Ok, take the D and it'll be even faster. I go to Yankees games all the time from 42nd Bryant Pk.

Sounds like most people here never been to Bronx or Harlem for that matter. Someone posted in another thread about how Harlem got a Shake Shake and that's a big deal there.

Old 05-04-2018, 09:27 AM

2,691 posts, read 4,316,152 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry88 View Post
No it's not an exaggeration. Ok, take the D and it'll be even faster. I go to Yankees games all the time from 42nd Bryant Pk.

Sounds like most people here never been to Bronx or Harlem for that matter. Someone posted in another thread about how Harlem got a Shake Shake and that's a big deal there.
Google Maps says 29 minutes on the B (during AM rush hour) 23 minutes on the D (leaving now). He’s correct is under 30 minutes.

Old 05-04-2018, 09:29 AM

36,960 posts, read 38,968,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
Google Maps says 29 minutes on the B (during AM rush hour) 23 minutes on the D (leaving now). He’s correct is under 30 minutes.
Right, there are definitely parts of the Bronx that can get you a door to door to some point in Midtown. That's great! However, the vast majority of the Bronx does not allow for that. It's not far off though, so saying 40 minutes probably tips it to the majority of the Bronx being within that mass transit commute to some part of Midtown.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 05-04-2018 at 09:41 AM..

Old 05-04-2018, 10:22 AM

36,960 posts, read 38,968,191 times
Just out of curiosity, what is the list of decent to great Bronx neighborhoods, regardless of cost and personal tastes?

My guesses for at least decent (aka, not hood) neighborhoods:

Riverdale (including Fieldston)
Country Club
Spuyten Duyvil
Pelham Parkway
Pelham Gardens
Pelham Bay
Schuylerville
Kingsbridge
Woodlawn
Morris Park
Throgs Neck
Co-op City
City Island
Bedford Park
Norwood
Bronxwood
Van Cortlandt Village
Van Nest
Parkchester
Baychester
Westchester Square

Am I missing some or should some not be included/are contentious? Also, how would you all rank these?

Old 05-04-2018, 10:29 AM

12,742 posts, read 8,193,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Just out of curiosity, what is the list of decent to great Bronx neighborhoods, regardless of cost and personal tastes?

My guesses for at least decent (aka, not hood) neighborhoods:

Riverdale (including Fieldston)
Country Club
Spuyten Duyvil
Pelham Parkway
Pelham Gardens
Pelham Bay
Schuylerville
Kingsbridge
Woodlawn
Morris Park
Co-op City
City Island
Bedford Park
Norwood
Bronxwood
Van Cortlandt Village
Throgs Neck
Parkchester
Baychester
Westchester Square

Am I missing some or should some not be included/are contentious? Also, how would you all rank these?
1. Riverdale (including Fieldston, Spuyten Duyvil/aka "South Riverdale", North Riverdale and Central Riverdale - they're all subsections of Riverdale)
2. Country Club
3. Morris Park/Indian Village
4. Woodlawn
5. City Island
6. Throggs Neck (includes all subsections - Schuylerville, Locust Point and Edgewater)
7. Pelham Parkway
8. Pelham Gardens
9. Pelham Bay
10. Kingsbridge (west of Corlear Avenue)
11. Van Cortlandt Village/Kingsbridge Heights (EXCLUDING the areas South of the Reservoir - mainly ghetto areas)
12. Parkchester
13. Norwood (this is ok, but it wouldn't make my list)
14. Co-op City (this is ok, but it wouldn't make my list)
15. Bedford Park (this is ok, but it wouldn't make my list)
16. Baychester (this is ok, but it wouldn't make my list)
17. Westchester Square (this is ok, but it wouldn't make my list)
18. Bronxwood (this is a rather ghetto part of the Bronx)

Last edited by pierrepont7731; 05-04-2018 at 10:41 AM..

Old 05-04-2018, 10:38 AM

33,624 posts, read 46,921,221 times
Pelham Gardens (Indian Village) really should be #2 after Riverdale

Houses over there r sick

Another exclusive neighborhood is by Pelham Bay Park, its in the Bronx but the residents have a Westchester zip code. I don't even know if the neighborhood has a name.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 05-04-2018, 10:42 AM

965 posts, read 1,107,270 times
Quote:
1. Riverdale (including Fieldston, Spuyten Duyvil/aka "South Riverdale", North Riverdale and Central Riverdale - they're all subsections of Riverdale)
2. Country Club
3. Morris Park
4. Woodlawn
5. City Island
6. Throggs Neck (includes all subsections - Schuylerville, Locust Point and Edgewater)
7. Pelham Parkway
8. Pelham Gardens
9. Pelham Bay
10. Kingsbridge
11. Van Cortlandt Village/Kingsbridge Heights (EXCLUDING the areas South of the Reservoir - mainly ghetto areas)
12. Parkchester
13. Norwood (this is ok, but it wouldn't make my list)
14. Co-op City(this is ok, but it wouldn't make my list)
15. Bedford Park (this is ok, but it wouldn't make my list)
16. Baychester (this is ok, but it wouldn't make my list)
17. Westchester Square (this is ok, but it wouldn't make my list)
18. Bronxwood (this is a rather ghetto part of the Bronx)
I damn near almost fell out of my chair. It Barely made the cut, but it's there .Are you feeling okay today, Pierre? Haha.

I agree with this list and added Norwood, Co-Op City and Bedford Park just to make it a Top 15. (Have a thing with intervals of 5.)

Actually, let me rearrange a few more.

1. Riverdale.
2. Country Club.
3. Pelham Gardens.
4. Morris Park.
5. Woodlawn.
6. Throgs Neck
7. Pelham Parkway.
8. Pelham Bay.
9. Van Cortlandt.
10. Kingsbridge
11. Parkchester
12. Bedford Park
13. Norwood
14. Co-Op City.
15. City Island (Very nice, but so difficult to get to)

Last edited by RadeonHD4250; 05-04-2018 at 10:51 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City