Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2018, 11:41 AM

12,776 posts, read 8,243,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Yes, look at Bed-Stuy, you can pay a million dollars and have a project view

There's nowhere in the Bronx that you will pay a million dollars and have a project view
Yes, but you could argue that Brooklyn has better housing stock in some of the hood areas. Bed-Stuy has always had a large brownstone supply even when it wasn't as desirable, which the owners generally kept up, so here we are...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Are Brooklyn bad areas more expensive then The Bronx bad areas ?
lol... At this point I'd say so. Something else being overlooked... The hood areas have better subway access in Brooklyn. Commute times are better, hence more gentrification.

Commuting from Williamsbridge versus Bed Stuy... Bed Stuy wins easily via subway, with MUCH better housing stock.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2018, 11:47 AM

3,357 posts, read 4,622,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
For me, yes. I thought about safety, housing stock, transportation and overall amenities. Riverdale can be a pain to get to if you have to take the subway since you need to get a bus to reach it afterwards in most cases, but if money is no object, you have two Metro-North stations and three express buses, so you can ride in comfort to and from work and you have a good amount of options. You're also minutes away from Westchester and Manhattan by car. It's a very unique neighborhood in terms of having large co-ops and condos with English tudors on the same block, something you find in most of Riverdale, even in Fieldston outside of the estate area. Riverdale is really an example of what the old Bronx was like because Moses came along and destroyed parts of it. It was a planned area and the residents have fought hard to keep it from becoming tacky looking.

I would say a lot of the nice Bronx areas have this small town feel that's pretty charming... Morris Park, Woodlawn... You walk down the main avenue and that's the feel you get. The same in Riverdale. Country Club is very very suburban, but also charming, particularly by Maria Villa. Lots of parts with no sidewalks. I also like parts of Van Cortlandt Village. It's very hilly but very charming architecture overall. Quiet, lots of green...
I like the hilliness of the west Bronx and it was constructed earlier, so I tend to like the architecture better. For my personal list, anything where I need a car is off, and convenient transportation to the east and west side of Manhattan is weighted heavily. Proximity to the NYBG is also big factor for me. My list would have Bedford Park (surprise!), Norwood, Pelham Parkway (close to NYBG), Kingsbridge Heights, maybe Van Cortland Village and maybe Belmont. Van Cortlandt Village and Belmont don't have great subway access, but I really like both neighborhoods.

Parkchester isn't on my list because of the open space issue, but I also don't know it that well to be honest.

Old 05-04-2018, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
I like the hilliness of the west Bronx and it was constructed earlier, so I tend to like the architecture better. For my personal list, anything where I need a car is off, and convenient transportation to the east and west side of Manhattan is weighted heavily. Proximity to the NYBG is also big factor for me. My list would have Bedford Park (surprise!), Norwood, Pelham Parkway (close to NYBG), Kingsbridge Heights, maybe Van Cortland Village and maybe Belmont. Van Cortlandt Village and Belmont don't have great subway access, but I really like both neighborhoods.

Parkchester isn't on my list because of the open space issue, but I also don't know it that well to be honest.
I'm not that wild about Parkchester to be honest, but for someone on a budget it does the job. It's quite diverse, will soon have a Metro-North stop, and if you don't want to put up with the insane crowding at times on the 6 train, it does offer the BxM6 express bus which only makes three stops before going to Manhattan, but it doesn't run that frequent outside of rush hour (one bus an hour versus 15 minutes during peak periods). The restaurant scene is definitely lacking but if you don't need Whole Foods quality, there are definitely more than enough supermarkets and other options. I just think the restaurant scene sucks though. Mainly a bunch of chains and grease joints. I'm also not a fan of the apartments. Most need to be gutted and the grounds could use some rehabbing in parts too. Cracked up, warped sidewalks are not my thing. Oh and the parking scene is HORRIBLE unless you pay for a garage.

I think that's another reason the Bronx is still cheaper. Subway access in the good parts can be lacking and the hills can make it a real pain to commute to and from, which explains why Metro-North and the express buses are helpful. If you can drive and have a nice parking set up, a lot of the Bronx can be great.

Old 05-04-2018, 12:00 PM

Quote:
I'm not that wild about Parkchester to be honest, but for someone on a budget it does the job. It's quite diverse, will soon have a Metro-North stop, and if you don't want to put up with the insane crowding at times on the 6 train, it does offer the BxM6 express bus which only makes three stops before going to Manhattan, but it doesn't run that frequent outside of rush hour (one bus an hour versus 15 minutes during peak periods). The restaurant scene is definitely lacking but if you don't need Whole Foods quality, there are definitely more than enough supermarkets and other options. I just think the restaurant scene sucks though. Mainly a bunch of chains and grease joints. I'm also not a fan of the apartments. Most need to be gutted and the grounds could use some rehabbing in parts too. Cracked up, warped sidewalks are not my thing.

I think that's another reason the Bronx is still cheaper. Subway access in the good parts can be lacking and the hills can make it a real pain to commute to and from, which explains why Metro-North and the express buses are helpful. If you can drive and have a nice parking set up, a lot of the Bronx can be great.
Parkchester apartments are very affordable. I've found the name "express bus" to be an oxymoron. I wouldn't live anywhere where I had to rely on them. If I'm going to pay more to get to Manhattan, I prefer the metro north.

Old 05-04-2018, 12:00 PM

33,906 posts, read 47,149,386 times
Quote:
I like the hilliness of the west Bronx and it was constructed earlier, so I tend to like the architecture better.
It has a Westchester vibe. After the south Bronx is done, West Side will be next. Gentrification of the Bronx will go counter-clockwise.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 05-04-2018, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Parkchester apartments are very affordable. I've found the name "express bus" to be an oxymoron. I wouldn't live anywhere where I had to rely on them. If I'm going to pay more to get to Manhattan, I prefer the metro north.
lol... With congestion being what it is, buses are slow regardless of what they are, so I agree in that regard. I think that late at night though they can be fast when there's Fast Track or whatever. Metro-North is the one advantage that the Bronx has over Brooklyn, that's for sure.

Quote:
Well they are for now, but they were much more affordable not too long ago. $800 - 900 versus $1300 - 1600 now...

Old 05-04-2018, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Am I right in saying that these, including the ones you think are ok, but wouldn't make your list, seem to form two main clumps with an outlier in Woodlawn (though, of course, there's Westchester county just past the Bronx borders) and an outlier in City Island?

There's the northeastern one with Country Clubb, Morris Park, Throggs Neck, Pelham Parkway, Pelham Gardens, and Pelham Bay, Parkchester, Co-op City, Baychester, and Westchester Square..

There's another northwestern one with Riverdale, Kingsbridge, Van Cortland Village/Kingsbridge Heights, Norwood, and Bedford Park. It almost makes a ring around Jerome Reservoir except for Fordham Manor and those parts of Kingsbridge Heights south of the reservoir which you note are mainly ghetto areas.
Everything is closer together than you may realize by looking at a map. I can walk to Kingsbridge/Broadway in about 30min or less from Bedford Park.

Old 05-04-2018, 12:12 PM

14,039 posts, read 13,880,145 times
Quote:
lol... With congestion being what it is, buses are slow regardless of what they are, so I agree in that regard. I think that late at night though they can be fast when there's Fast Track or whatever. Metro-North is the one advantage that the Bronx has over Brooklyn, that's for sure.
Brooklyn has Long Island Railroad

Atlantic Terminal to Jamaica Queens(Which is major transfer point for LIRR to Long Island, Queens, Penn Station
East New York
Nostrand Avenue

Old 05-04-2018, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
It has a Westchester vibe. After the south Bronx is done, West Side will be next. Gentrification of the Bronx will go counter-clockwise.
The Westchester vibe is I guess in the more suburban "sections". Other parts are very similar to upper Manhattan, Inwood and Washington Heights.

Old 05-04-2018, 12:15 PM

Quote:

Well they are for now, but they were much more affordable not too long ago. $800 - 900 versus $1300 - 1600 now...
I'm speaking relatively, and purchase prices are still very affordable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City