Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2018, 11:55 AM

10 posts, read 8,002 times

Advertisements

Good day to all,
Me and my family (wife and kid), we are coming to America in middle of June.
Our choice is NYC, I know some will say that this is not very smart move to come to NYC because is an expensive city, and perhaps it is better to go somewhere not so expensive to live.
Maybe you're right, but if we were luck to be drawn to the Green Card Lottery, we may well find a way for good life in NYC.

For now the choice fell on the Astoria and Hoblok in NJ, but we are open for more suggestion.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2018, 11:59 AM

20,937 posts, read 28,438,415 times
What country are you coming from? Brooklyn might be an option.

Old 04-28-2018, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
What country are you coming from? Brooklyn might be an option.
Hi, we are coming from Serbia.

Old 04-28-2018, 02:01 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,680,999 times
All places are good for immigrants. NYC is a city of immigrants, whether from France, or Japan, or California.

Chose your area according to where you will work, and what you can afford.

Old 04-28-2018, 02:20 PM

5,521 posts, read 8,775,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
All places are good for immigrants. NYC is a city of immigrants, whether from France, or Japan, or California.

This is the best advice. Many immigrants choose neighborhoods where other of their countrymen have chosen to live. But I am not aware of a Serbian neighborhood in New York City. Ukranian in East Village (Manhattan), Russian in Brighton Beach (Brooklyn), Albanian in parts of the Bronx, Polish in Greenpoint (Brooklyn), Greek in Astoria (Queens) -- but Serbian? Never heard of such a neighborhood here, though maybe there is one somewhere that someone else knows about.

So the advice here to find work where you can and an affordable place is sound.

Old 04-28-2018, 02:48 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,318,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IwinGC View Post
Hi, we are coming from Serbia.
Check out Ridgewood Queens. Probably has the largest Serbian population of any neighborhood in the USA.

Old 04-28-2018, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post

Thanks for advice, but I don't know where I will work, I'm coming from another continent, so is hard to find job when you oversea. So my second solution is to look for area according the schools in NYC. I will not ask "what is best school and good and safety neighborhood". If some one can tell me how big is differences between schools with ratings 6 or 7 vs 9?
Thanks

Last edited by Yac; 12-02-2020 at 02:28 AM..

Old 04-28-2018, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Check out Ridgewood Queens. Probably has the largest Serbian population of any neighborhood in the USA.
Oh, nice thanks for that info....

Old 04-28-2018, 05:07 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,488,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
This is the best advice. Many immigrants choose neighborhoods where other of their countrymen have chosen to live. But I am not aware of a Serbian neighborhood in New York City. Ukranian in East Village (Manhattan), Russian in Brighton Beach (Brooklyn), Albanian in parts of the Bronx, Polish in Greenpoint (Brooklyn), Greek in Astoria (Queens) -- but Serbian? Never heard of such a neighborhood here, though maybe there is one somewhere that someone else knows about.

So the advice here to find work where you can and an affordable place is sound.
Don't most Ukranians live in the same neighborhoods as Russians these days?

Old 04-28-2018, 06:22 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,318,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Don't most Ukranians live in the same neighborhoods as Russians these days?
Some lean towards Russians and others with Serbs. Both Ridgewood and Rego Park have descent sized Ukrainian populations, but culturally they are different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City