Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2018, 05:53 PM

34,090 posts, read 47,285,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Who cares about whether it's true though. Are you saying that you have to believe in what you learn in order to value it? I mean seriously, I didn't always agree with what I learned, but my parents certainly taught me the value of getting an education which would ultimately lead to me to getting a job. I think that's what seems to be missing, but maybe education is seen as another form of oppression? I'm asking that as a legitimate question. Education being part of "the system". Interesting... I can understand it if that's how you're presenting it, but at the same time do you really believe that living in the past helps anybody? Ultimately "this system" isn't going anywhere... Unless you have connections, your next best thing is to obtain an education.
so you're ok with learning what is not accurate in order to obtain "wealth"

so many things wrong with that

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2018, 05:55 PM

why not do something for a living that requires little thinking then? since it doesnt matter what they put into your brain for a check, you should be willing to do anything for a dollar then. Actually, you should always be employed, because you will do anything for a dollar.

Old 04-30-2018, 05:57 PM

90 posts, read 71,812 times
If African Americans and Hispanic communities don't see education value as true, then why are they upset in trying to get into these schools in the first place????

Why would anyone want to go to school if they don't see the value in it?

Most of these kids see school as daycare. A prison where they get locked up. They get bored so they annoy their classmates and look for drama. How many white and asian students get knocked up in specialized high schools? How many Hispanic and African Americans kids get pregnant in high school?

Plus if they start a family early, they have less time to focus on education and more time on providing and feeding the baby.

Old 04-30-2018, 06:12 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,313,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
How are u supposed to value it when most of it's not true??
Are you saying 1+1=11?

Old 04-30-2018, 06:22 PM

90 posts, read 71,812 times
School teaches how to read, write, and do arithmetic. If that has no value, then these kids shouldn't learn how to read, write, or do math then.

If poor Chinese students are so limited by SCHOOL and FAMILY, as well as LANGUAGE BARRIER, then shouldn't they be the ones that needs the most help?

Asian families aren't limited by their families. Their families is actually a benefit where the family knows to invest in education, so they take opportunities given to them. The language barrier thing is false, because the kids grew up in America and they learn their ABCs in elementary school, to say they don't communicate or write well because they are Chinese or Asian is absurd.

If that is the case, shouldn't African American and Hispanic kids have the advantage over Asian kids if their primary language at home are English or Spanish (closer to English then Korean or Bengali).

These low income parents are just mad that they see someone poorer than them, speak broken English, recent arrivals to states OVERTAKES their babies.

Most rich white students go to PRIVATE SCHOOLS.

Most Asian students go to SPECIALIZED HIGH SCHOOLS, and if they can't, they also go to local high schools.

And Black and Hispanic students go to just local HIGH SCHOOLS. Some do get into specialized high schools, but it is usually the smart ones who get in.

Old 04-30-2018, 07:01 PM

12,789 posts, read 8,290,806 times
Quote:
so you're ok with learning what is not accurate in order to obtain "wealth"

so many things wrong with that
That's not my point. We both know that unless you have connections, your next best "weapon" is to get an education. Whether or not I agree with everything I learned about history and in other subjects it is what it is, but what makes no sense to me is how "rebelling" by not getting an education is doing black and brown folks any justice.

School teaches you much more than what you learn in books. It teaches you how to become a mature and responsible adult. That's ultimately the idea anyway. How to function in society, understand the importance of responsibilities and so on, but what you're saying is education is essentially just another example of black and brown folks going along with "the system" - the white man's system, particularly when some things taught in schools are viewed as lies and not accurate. I get it...

I think what's unfortunate in having that viewpoint is these kids are being left behind in the overall picture. Ultimately it's about playing the system and winning - by being successful, having a good job and obtaining wealth... Unless you control the system by having power, rebelling does nothing. The whole thing is really f-d up because there's this perpetual cycle of the white kids going to the best schools to get as far ahead as possible in "the system" and black and brown kids rebelling against "the system" that whites created.

I've never really reflected on it that way, but I understand where you're coming from. Since the system is run by whites, ultimately how far black and brown kids get after getting an education still rests in someone else's hands (likely white), so there's this ongoing thing of just playing along in the system with no control. Interesting... There's so many other things with that too...

I suppose the rapper or basketball player isn't going along with the system but still making $$$.

Old 04-30-2018, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumbleboom View Post
School teaches how to read, write, and do arithmetic. If that has no value, then these kids shouldn't learn how to read, write, or do math then.

If poor Chinese students are so limited by SCHOOL and FAMILY, as well as LANGUAGE BARRIER, then shouldn't they be the ones that needs the most help?

Asian families aren't limited by their families. Their families is actually a benefit where the family knows to invest in education, so they take opportunities given to them. The language barrier thing is false, because the kids grew up in America and they learn their ABCs in elementary school, to say they don't communicate or write well because they are Chinese or Asian is absurd.

If that is the case, shouldn't African American and Hispanic kids have the advantage over Asian kids if their primary language at home are English or Spanish (closer to English then Korean or Bengali).

These low income parents are just mad that they see someone poorer than them, speak broken English, recent arrivals to states OVERTAKES their babies.

Most rich white students go to PRIVATE SCHOOLS.

Most Asian students go to SPECIALIZED HIGH SCHOOLS, and if they can't, they also go to local high schools.

And Black and Hispanic students go to just local HIGH SCHOOLS. Some do get into specialized high schools, but it is usually the smart ones who get in.
You product of the Internet you

You think it was like that forever?

Only been like that the last 40 years in NYC, take a wild guess at why

Old 04-30-2018, 07:12 PM

Quote:
why not do something for a living that requires little thinking then? since it doesnt matter what they put into your brain for a check, you should be willing to do anything for a dollar then. Actually, you should always be employed, because you will do anything for a dollar.
We live in a society that values education. Educated people are respected and usually earn well in most professions. Our society is also run by $$$ so there's your answer. lol

Old 04-30-2018, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
We live in a society that values education. Educated people are respected and usually earn well in most professions. Our society is also run by $$$ so there's your answer. lol
Cash me outside

How bout dat

Old 04-30-2018, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Cash me outside

How bout dat
Gotta do your own thing homes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City