Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2018, 02:06 PM

33 posts, read 22,073 times

Advertisements

https://www.rawstory.com/2018/04/wat...-kids-schools/

Quote from the schools principal “There are kids that are tremendously disadvantaged,” he said. “And to compare these students and say, ‘My already advantaged kid needs more advantage, they need to be kept away from those kids,’ is tremendously offensive to me.”

Sad but not surprising in the least. As soon as they contacted me for American Copper I said there’s no way I’d send my kid to the zone school in that to be potentially harassed and discriminated againstarea. I’m glad the principal called them out!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2018, 02:10 PM

983 posts, read 931,684 times
****ty clickbait title.

Local news station Spectrum News NY 1 has posted a video that shows white parents furiously attacking a plan to require all local middle schools to reserve 25 percent of their seats for students who score below grade level on state English and Math exams.

Reserving A QUARTER of the school for students who are REQUIRED to be substandard? That's an awful plan and should be scrapped. But of course, people will use this opportunity to lie and act as though it's EVIL WHITE PEOPLE HATE EVERYBODY.

Old 04-27-2018, 02:13 PM

375 posts, read 323,580 times
*Upper West Siders

Old 04-27-2018, 02:22 PM

33 posts, read 22,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iammax View Post
****ty clickbait title.

Local news station Spectrum News NY 1 has posted a video that shows white parents furiously attacking a plan to require all local middle schools to reserve 25 percent of their seats for students who score below grade level on state English and Math exams.

Reserving A QUARTER of the school for students who are REQUIRED to be substandard? That's an awful plan and should be scrapped. But of course, people will use this opportunity to lie and act as though it's EVIL WHITE PEOPLE HATE EVERYBODY.
Well I just thought the actual title of the article was a little inflammatory and that’s why I tried to reword it.

Old 04-27-2018, 02:23 PM

31,904 posts, read 26,961,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bornandraisednyc View Post
https://www.rawstory.com/2018/04/wat...-kids-schools/

Quote from the schools principal “There are kids that are tremendously disadvantaged,” he said. “And to compare these students and say, ‘My already advantaged kid needs more advantage, they need to be kept away from those kids,’ is tremendously offensive to me.”

Sad but not surprising in the least. As soon as they contacted me for American Copper I said there’s no way I’d send my kid to the zone school in that to be potentially harassed and discriminated againstarea. I’m glad the principal called them out!
Upper WEST Siders.....

Fixed that for you!

Old 04-27-2018, 02:30 PM

12,789 posts, read 8,288,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Upper WEST Siders.....

Fixed that for you!
It's a bit shocking that there aren't more kids of color in those schools. Walking on the UWS, you see plenty of black and brown people along the main avenues, and they can't all be hired help. You confirmed in another thread that UWS has a lot of homeless shelters. Surely some of the homeless are kids too. Then there are the affordable housing buildings.

Old 04-27-2018, 02:49 PM

For years now the UWS has been a hot bed of BdeB's and city council's experiments with "inclusion" and "equality".

Having messed with elementary schools they are now moving onto middle: UWS school rezoning by the numbers | Manhattan, New York, NY | Local News

Driving all this are two forces; NYC in particular large parts of Manhattan are becoming *very* white and or affluent as a result in changing demographics (whites moving into or choosing to remain in the city instead of going to suburbs), and news coverage highlighting reports that City of New York is very racially segregated, especially when it comes to public schools.

White or whatever middle class and above parents simply have far more options than most minorities. Add to this differences in education and socio-economic factors then you begin to see where problems start. That is homes where both parents have college degrees (from good to prestigious universities), and or even post graduate have a long history of putting a laser beam focus on their children's education.

This starts literally before kids are born or shortly afterwards and continues until they are into college. Choices about where to live, pre-k, kindergarten through high school and so forth are all based upon access to high quality schools.

Where local public or even private school lacks funding for this or that which is needed, upper income parents simply write checks. They also use their income to ensure their children have every advantage possible, from tutors to travel, and so forth. All this is natural, but rubs the usual suspects the wrong way.

Overall aside from certain local areas (for pre-k through middle school) the City of New York's public school system is overall minority. Whites largely long ago have abandoned the system again except in certain high performing cases/areas.

Tribeca, Soho, West/Greenwich Village, *parts* of UES and UWS, South Shore of SI, Park Slope, and so forth.

NYC removed zoning restrictions for public high schools decades ago and it by and large has been a disaster. Whites basically have fled that part of system outside of a few local or specialized (admitted by exam scores) schools.

Out on Staten Island the lowest performing public elementary and middle schools are (surprise) on the North Shore with high levels of minority students and or those from low income homes. At least 15 Staten Island schools to receive additional funding | SILive.com

The usual answer as show above is to throw *more* money at these places, this as NYC already spends several times more than other urban areas per student with very little to show for the money.

That proverbial one thousand pound gorilla in middle of room that no one wants to talk about is quite simply children are largely products of their home environment. Over the past thirty or so years NYC public schools on average have become social service agencies. Kids get everything from free meals, school supplies, feminine hygiene products, laptops, etc.... And yet somehow, somehow for all the money spent high school graduation rates are appalling and a good number enter college (usually CUNY or SUNY) totally unprepared to do 100 level course work.

Old 04-27-2018, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
It's a bit shocking that there aren't more kids of color in those schools. Walking on the UWS, you see plenty of black and brown people along the main avenues, and they can't all be hired help. You confirmed in another thread that UWS has a lot of homeless shelters. Surely some of the homeless are kids too. Then there are the affordable housing buildings.

Again, see: UWS school rezoning by the numbers | Manhattan, New York, NY | Local News

For middle and high schools students list choices and are admitted based upon who accepts them, then you have a few specialized high schools on the UWS such as High School of Performing Arts.

Old 04-27-2018, 03:11 PM

1,300 posts, read 960,388 times
Plan calls for setting aside 25% of the school spots to be filled by underperforming students.
Unless it is shown that the underperforming students become significantly better after being in these particular schools, then this is just another bad idea that fails to address the actual problem. But if that were the issue, then the strategy should be to increase funding for the underperforming schools and import the teaching methods and structure from the better schools so that a greater number of poor kids would become top students rather than the tiny number who would fill the 1/4 of seats at an elite UWS school.

This is an ultimately useless, purely symbolic move that does nothing for underprivileged kids and fail to address and fix the real issues behind academic underperformance in certain communities. Issues that are predominately about nuances of parenting and culture.

Old 04-27-2018, 03:17 PM

12,789 posts, read 8,288,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArchitect View Post
Plan calls for setting aside 25% of the school spots to be filled by underperforming students.
Unless it is shown that the underperforming students become significantly better after being in these particular schools, then this is just another bad idea that fails to address the actual problem. But if that were the issue, then the strategy should be to increase funding for the underperforming schools and import the teaching methods and structure from the better schools so that a greater number of poor kids would become top students rather than the tiny number who would fill the 1/4 of seats at an elite UWS school.

This is an ultimately useless, purely symbolic move that does nothing for underprivileged kids and fail to address and fix the real issues behind academic underperformance in certain communities. Issues that are predominately about nuances of parenting and culture.
So true! If the parents don't give a damn about their kids' education, moving them to a school in a richer area does nothing. That's all they're doing here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City