Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 01:37 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,047,955 times

Advertisements

Washington Heights wet of Broadway is not bad. I was just there today. You can see the early signs of gentrification on Broadway and 167th-170th.

East of Broadway is another story. The drug trade is stronger here. EVERYBODY is outside chilling. It is also the worst part of the neighborhood. IMO, similar to the west Bronx. Avoid this area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2008, 04:27 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,243,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
Washington Heights wet of Broadway is not bad. I was just there today. You can see the early signs of gentrification on Broadway and 167th-170th.

East of Broadway is another story. The drug trade is stronger here. EVERYBODY is outside chilling. It is also the worst part of the neighborhood. IMO, similar to the west Bronx. Avoid this area.
That part of Wash Heights has never really been bad anyway. Riverside and Fort Washington have been known as quiet (well comparatively at least) areas for a long time. There have also been middle-class to upper-middle class people living in those areas for some time now too. You would know that if you were more familiar.

What's happening is that a lot of older folk had apartments there, as they die out, the apartments are being filled by young professionals.

Last edited by NooYowkur81; 03-28-2008 at 04:42 PM..

Old 04-02-2008, 02:04 AM

2 posts, read 4,078 times
I am also 21 and moving to NY soon. I found a few beautifully furnished apartments in Washington Heights that were quite affordable ($900-1500) on craigslist. My concern is that I am a female that has never lived in a big city, so needless to say I am looking for something safe. However, after reading all of the responses, it seems like the safe places are far from the nightlife. And I am still not sure about Washington Heights???
A few questions:
What neighborhoods should I stay away from?
What is Queens like? Morningside Heights?
What area has the best record stores?
What is the best way about getting an apartment? I'm considering subleasing. Help please!

Old 04-02-2008, 06:53 AM

22 posts, read 89,720 times
Well actually most of the places with an active nightlife tend to be safer just because there's going to be more people walking around at late night, so there would be less of a chance of something happening to you that way. The main issue really is affordability and balancing that out with safety.

I think most other people on this board would be more qualified to answer some of the questions you have about safe neighborhoods as I am still in Ohio, but I think some of the things they would want to know first are 1) what's your rent budget? 2) your income? (should be 40-50x your monthly rent - as most leasers require this) 3) where exactly would you be working / going on a daily basis? 4) how long of a commute are you willing to put up with?

As for the record stores, I'll list a few of my favorites that you should check out.

Cool & Crazy (home base of Crypt Records - lot of punk, garage, soul music) 72 Manhattan Ave Brooklyn, NY -- this is the eastern part of the Williamsburg neighborhood

Pass Out Record Shop 131 Grand St Brooklyn, NY -- also in Williamsburg, they usually have in-store shows on Saturdays, specializes in a lot of punk rock / garage music as well

Rockit Scientist Records 33 St. Mark's Place -- has a much more diverse selection of music than the two I mentioned, in the East Village neighborhood.. there's a lot of others in the village which I'm sure you could Google online

Best of luck in your search!

Old 04-02-2008, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
That part of Wash Heights has never really been bad anyway. Riverside and Fort Washington have been known as quiet (well comparatively at least) areas for a long time. There have also been middle-class to upper-middle class people living in those areas for some time now too. You would know that if you were more familiar.

What's happening is that a lot of older folk had apartments there, as they die out, the apartments are being filled by young professionals.
Yeah, I am sure going to believe that. Tell that to the 103 murders in 1990 for Washington Heights. I would have a hard time believing that any area there would be "middle class" for a long time.

Old 04-02-2008, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeSuisUnOiseau. View Post
I am also 21 and moving to NY soon. I found a few beautifully furnished apartments in Washington Heights that were quite affordable ($900-1500) on craigslist. My concern is that I am a female that has never lived in a big city, so needless to say I am looking for something safe. However, after reading all of the responses, it seems like the safe places are far from the nightlife. And I am still not sure about Washington Heights???
A few questions:
What is the best way about getting an apartment? I'm considering subleasing. Help please!
Man, Washington Heights is attracting alot of people nowadays. At this rate, it will be gentrified before Harlem.

Anyways, the closer you get to the Bronx the worse. So the streets east of Broadway are generally worse than the ones to the west. While the Heights has low crime rate nowadays, the area is still plagued with drugs and delinquency. Personally, I find nothing in the Heights. Too crowded, noisy and alot of knuckleheads. I would rather live in the Bronx.

Old 04-02-2008, 07:33 PM

1,409 posts, read 5,250,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeSuisUnOiseau. View Post
A few questions:
As someone new to the city, you should get a share before you commit to a place on your own. Only you can decide what your comfort level is. Maybe you'll be street smart after a week, maybe not. Also, with a roommate, someone will notice if you go missing. (Kidding. Kind of.)

But seriously, if you have read the board at all, you will see pages and pages of posts debating what neighborhoods are safe and which ones aren't. All neighborhoods are safe until you become a victim of crime. Also, with a share, you'll be able to stay in a hipper part of town.

Old 04-03-2008, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I am sure going to believe that. Tell that to the 103 murders in 1990 for Washington Heights. I would have a hard time believing that any area there would be "middle class" for a long time.
Dude you don't know about Wash Heights so don't try to argue with me. Your from the Bronx.

I was specifically referring to Fort Washington Ave. and Riverside Drive. Nothing ever happens on those streets. People see Wash Heights they immediately think some Dominican guy on the corner with a jerry curl commiting crimes. That part of Wash Heigts was never really affected by the crack epidemic and etc. Those apartments were full of old people or have been kept in the same families for years. With more young professionals looking to move into that area, the landlords have gotten a little more aggressive and have started getting PI's and etc to get people out of there. So again, that part was never a bad area.

If you've ever been in apartment up there on Riverside or Fort Wash, you would understand why people don't give them up so easily. They are some of the biggest apartments in the city.

Last edited by NooYowkur81; 04-03-2008 at 04:57 PM..

Old 04-03-2008, 11:06 PM

NooYowkur I was talking about Broadway. Broadway in the Heights was never middle class. It used to be wild as hell. It is still bad but lower and higher of the 160's. Look at my post, I said 167th-171th and Broadway. Middle class? haha

Old 04-04-2008, 07:34 AM

Quote:
NooYowkur I was talking about Broadway. Broadway in the Heights was never middle class. It used to be wild as hell. It is still bad but lower and higher of the 160's. Look at my post, I said 167th-171th and Broadway. Middle class? haha
Yeah but you also said west of broadway. Fort Wash and Riverside are west of broadway. I was making the point that area in particular was never really a bad area.

Broadway's always been active. I never said Broadway was middle class.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: