Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2018, 08:48 PM

954 posts, read 939,748 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
I'm not going to lie. Even with more whites being around, I don't feel comfortable walking along 125th and I've walked in the South Bronx and felt more comfortable at times. Something about the seedy feel just rubs me the wrong way and it spills over onto the side streets too.
I’m black but always felt the same way. I have no problem with east New York and some of the tougher parts of Brooklyn, but something about that part of Harlem freaks me out. It’s like hood Brooklyn on steroids. Just way too much going on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2018, 08:51 PM

12,789 posts, read 8,295,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Principle Lewis View Post
I’m black but always felt the same way. I have no problem with east New York and some of the tougher parts of Brooklyn, but something about that part of Harlem freaks me out. It’s like hood Brooklyn on steroids. Just way too much going on.
Exactly and then on the so called quiet blocks like Park Avenue I always get this eery feeling. Can't describe it, but you're a native New Yorker I imagine so you know that feeling you get. lol

Old 05-01-2018, 09:21 PM

7,906 posts, read 7,890,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RICANRICAN View Post
I will try it but nothing can beat the crown chicken's cheeseburger special for $6
���� lmao noooooope. Crown can’t compare to shake shack. The shack blows em out of the frame. You need to try Peteys Burger in LIC and Astoria

Old 05-01-2018, 09:24 PM

7,906 posts, read 7,890,990 times
Quote:
Exactly and then on the so called quiet blocks like Park Avenue I always get this eery feeling. Can't describe it, but you're a native New Yorker I imagine so you know that feeling you get. lol
I’ve never liked Park Ave from 96th on up for that reason. It’s why I did not even bother to look at Harlem Park North & South and 59 East 125th. Desolate & sketchy af over there

Old 05-01-2018, 11:03 PM

1,521 posts, read 1,817,544 times
Yeah I only ventured east a few times to visit a doctor. Whatever bridge/subway you walk under, once you past that area, for me personally, I felt like I was in the "hood'. I mean if I was more used to it - I probably wouldn't care but there's def a different vibe.

As for the chains, the managers are all good and all polite and competent (had 2 meals comped).
The waiters/waitresses all polite, just incompetent. And once they were literally arguing in front of us lol.

Old 05-02-2018, 06:38 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,084,455 times
Shake Shack = good burgers and fries (never had a shake.) Fortunately for me, it is a short walk to East 86th.

I wonder if the place will look anything like that "artist's rendering" in Post #1?

Old 05-02-2018, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellUpInHarlem View Post
I’ve never liked Park Ave from 96th on up for that reason. It’s why I did not even bother to look at Harlem Park North & South and 59 East 125th. Desolate & sketchy af over there
The only saving grace is that hospital, but even the people that work there seem to run in and out into cars waiting where possible.

Old 05-02-2018, 07:42 AM

453 posts, read 317,893 times
Quote:
The only saving grace is that hospital, but even the people that work there seem to run in and out into cars waiting where possible.
I think, it might be related to the huge amount of "services institutions" in the area. I do get the sketchiness too, but the fact remains that is not particular dangerous, its just too much of the old NY hustle.

the city should evenly distribute its service providers, homeless shelters, drug programs, psychiatric centers across the city. but it seems that Harlem specifically 125th st west of FDB, got the bulk of it.

the area is getting better and it will change even further after the Victoria theater renovation/Marriott hotel is completed and the pathmart project completed, but so far the sketchiness remains.

Old 05-02-2018, 07:47 AM

150 posts, read 253,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Principle Lewis View Post
methadone clinics over there.. all the dope fiends still reign supreme, Zombieville

Old 05-02-2018, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthere22 View Post
I think, it might be related to the huge amount of "services institutions" in the area. I do get the sketchiness too, but the fact remains that is not particular dangerous, its just too much of the old NY hustle.

the city should evenly distribute its service providers, homeless shelters, drug programs, psychiatric centers across the city. but it seems that Harlem specifically 125th st west of FDB, got the bulk of it.

the area is getting better and it will change even further after the Victoria theater renovation/Marriott hotel is completed and the pathmart project completed, but so far the sketchiness remains.
Pathmark project? They're going to have another Pathmark there? The old one wasn't that great either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City