Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2018, 07:46 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
What Jewish minority? Please. Always with the whoa is me BS. I have a family member who is part Jewish and have friends who are Jewish (grew up with them) so don't even try it with me. You're just pissed because I call out people on their BS, which includes Jews. Should people get a pass for being a-holes? Nope.
That sounds a bit like "some of my best friends are Black". Having a "friend" of a certain group does not give you a pass in making statements of that group.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2018, 07:50 AM

12,789 posts, read 8,295,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
That sounds a bit like "some of my best friends are Black". Having a "friend" of a certain group does not give you a pass in making statements of that group.
I don't give anyone a "pass" which is what she thinks some people should get because they cry victim. I just tell like it is. The person's background makes no difference.

Old 05-04-2018, 09:14 AM

3,357 posts, read 4,632,729 times
Quote:
What Jewish minority? Please. Always with the whoa is me BS. I have a family member who is part Jewish and have friends who are Jewish (grew up with them) so don't even try it with me. You're just pissed because I call out people on their BS, which includes Jews. Should people get a pass for being a-holes? Nope.
You exhibit an extreme lack of self-awareness

Old 05-04-2018, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
You exhibit an extreme lack of self-awareness
I'm always aware even when I don't appear to be. Some people could learn a thing or two...

Old 05-04-2018, 11:31 AM

3,140 posts, read 2,735,240 times
"It's not considered a separate neighborhood from the UWS on the rental sites I've checked so I don't know what the average rent there is"

I'm not sure how you'd "check rental sites" and not visit StreetEasy. Manhattan Valley absolutely is listed as a separate neighborhood from the UWS there. 52 studios or one-beds (mostly one-beds) renting for $2500 or under (so for people making less than $100K). Cheapest at $1650, about ten below $2000. So, for Manhattan, relatively affordable.

Old 05-04-2018, 01:59 PM

782 posts, read 527,522 times
Quote:
I'm guessing you're lumping in the projects with such a statement but much of Manhattan is not cheap if you're paying market rate rent. I would imagine that the person in that building earns over $100,000. I guess you consider that peanuts like everyone is walking around making six figures. A little out of touch with reality I see...
You guess wrong. You clearly don't know the area in question. Your sense of reality is interesting.

Old 05-04-2018, 08:18 PM

3,960 posts, read 3,599,527 times
Quote:
What Jewish minority?
Are you seriously not aware that Jews are a tiny minority in the U.S., making up only about 2% of the American population?

Even in NYC, which has the highest Jewish population of any city in the U.S., Jews make up only about 18% of the population.

Old 05-04-2018, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
What Jewish minority?
Are you seriously not aware that Jews are a tiny minority in the U.S., making up only about 2% of the American population?

Even in NYC, which has the highest Jewish population of any city in the U.S., Jews make up only about 18% of the population.
Perhaps he doesn't understand that minorities can be RELIGIOUS minorities or ETHNIC minorities (most Americans aren't IRISH or a minority of Blacks in the US are of Haitian descent).

I think everything with him is about race, and literally Black and White at that.

Old 05-05-2018, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
What Jewish minority?

That's not what I'm getting at. Jews enjoy white privilege. Sure you face religious discrimination, but you still don't have to put with what non-white minorities have to deal with. When was the last time a Jewish person was denied housing or had the cops called on them for supposedly "breaking" into their own residence? As I said, Jews discriminate as well, especially on the housing end. All of my landlords here in NYC have been Jewish. Having a strong grip on the housing market allows people to dictate who lives where and make a lot of money if they really want to. In my neighborhood Jewish landlords have been busted denying housing to blacks and not just on one occasion and on top of it you've had other non-white minorities helping to enforce such discriminatory policies against blacks like Hispanics.

Don't get me wrong. I realize Jews always have a target on their back. I have relatives who are of Jewish background and I'm sensitive to it within reason. If you're going to cry about how Jews are the victims, do talk about how they discriminate against other minorities as well. It's only fair. I'd respect you more for your honesty and looking at the whole picture instead of just part of it.

Old 05-05-2018, 04:54 AM

Quote:
That's not what I'm getting at. Jews enjoy white privilege. Sure you face religious discrimination, but you still don't have to put with what non-white minorities have to deal with. When was the last time a Jewish person was denied housing or had the cops called on them for supposedly "breaking" into their own residence? As I said, Jews discriminate as well, especially on the housing end. All of my landlords here in NYC have been Jewish. Having a strong grip on the housing market allows people to dictate who lives where and make a lot of money if they really want to. In my neighborhood Jewish landlords have been busted denying housing to blacks and not just on one occasion and on top of it you've had other non-white minorities helping to enforce such discriminatory policies against blacks like Hispanics.

Don't get me wrong. I realize Jews always have a target on their back. I have relatives who are of Jewish background and I'm sensitive to it within reason. If you're going to cry about how Jews are the victims, do talk about how they discriminate against other minorities as well. It's only fair. I'd respect you more for your honesty and looking at the whole picture instead of just part of it.
NYC's Jewish population is mostly Ashkenazi, and they disproportionately moved to NYC post WW2. And I think to New Yorkers Ashkenazi's means Jew, and that's part of the problem.

Sephardim are the Jews from Spain and Portugal (and also from Italy) forced to convert to Catholicism by the Spanish Inquisition. Many Latinos are part Jewish and many Latinos have Jewish last names. In recent years there's been a lot of historical research on the huge Jewish population of Latin America and some Ashkenazi's in both the US and in Latin America didn't want to consider them Jews. In nations like Colombia, once DNA testing and various historical records confirmed how many Colombians have Jewish ancestors (part Sephardim) this meant that Sephardim by far outnumber Ashkenazi (who come from Central Europe).

Not to mention Christians in Ethiopia were once Jewish themselves before forced conversions.

I myself have a Jewish last name. A nameless Black slave was owned by a Jewish slave owner in the South. He named his soon after him, and I have a Jewish last name.

There were Jewish slaveowners in the South, but I don't know that NYC Jews know much about this. The slaveowners there were mostly Sephardim but there were Ashkenazis as well. But NYC's Ashkenazi population mostly came after WW2, and many would not know anything at all about the history of Jews in the US or in the Americas, and that's part of the problem.

So definitely while Jews have been repeatedly the victims of forced conversions, explusions, and attempted genocide, of course Jewish people were also a part of not just the slave owning class, but the conquistadors coming in from Spain. Christopher Columbus has been said to be Jewish, and the same was said about Cortes, the guy who conquered Mexico. Oh, when Jews were forced to convert they often changed their last names to ES or EZ last names.

Racial categories as we know them in NYC are POLITICAL, and nothing else. "Blacks", "Hispanics" and "Jews" as if these are separate categories.

"Black" in the US was used to keep people as slaves. Since you had people like my many greats grand father who had a white/Jewish wife and black slave/concubines, calling the children just Black was used to keep them slaves as permanently used to marginalized "Black" people.

Depending on the slave owner, they did sometimes leave their mixed race children money or land. That was a factor in why my family owned land, and such savings made it possible for some of us to get good educations, myself included.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City