Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2018, 02:15 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,969,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Well no, she is actually white so that's different. But yes I do think Hispanics as a group are discriminated against because most of them have visible nonwhite ancestry. I think US born Hispanics are more discriminated against than even bydlo Russian and Ukrainian immigrants. I think it's disingenous for people to claim that Hispanics will eventually be considered white a la Irish and Italian people.

And I would wager that she's checking off Hispanic because she thinks affirmative action will increase her chances of getting in.
You do have a lot of white Cubans and white Mexicans as well. A lot of Latinos marry white people. Lynda Carter the former Wonder Woman is half Mexican and looks like any other brunette. There are a lot of people like that.

Many lighter Puerto Rican’s and Dominicans have kids with Italians, and in a number of cases the kids look effectively white.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2018, 02:19 PM

12,789 posts, read 8,288,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer23 View Post
As a hispanic person I find it more confusing than you. From my experience, it is others who pick my background for me and act accordingly.

International:
Greece: I have been asked frequently what part of Greece I am from.
Latin America and Caribbeans: I must be a gringo.

Domestic:
Miami, FL: I must be Cuban.
California: I must be Mexican.
Georgia: I have been followed by cops and pulled over to check if my trunk has weapons.
Chinatown: I must be white and a foreigner.

Growing up I disliked how my teachers mispronounced my name and I found it confusing to fill out a form that did not list hispanic as a race.
I can see all of the above happening without knowing what you look like. Since Latin America doesn't have the "one drop rule", it creates issues when Hispanics here are asked to identify what they are. Combine that with the racial hierarchy enforced by the Spaniards that black is the worse of the worse, and it's easy to see how many Hispanics who are clearly not white based off of skin color and facial features would check white anyway.

Hell there are plenty of Hispanics who seem to think that their nationality defines their race. I've met plenty of Dominicans that will say I'm not mixed, I'm Dominican. What they mean to say is that both of their parents are Dominican, even if one looks "white" and the other is black or mixed with black. I'll question them further (usually in Spanish so that there's no confusion) and ask what color is their mother and father. Often they will admit to having a "white" mother and black father or vice versa and then what I'm asking them makes sense. They will say I'm Dominican of mixed background, but they don't want to be lumped with AAs mainly for cultural reasons being that they identify as Hispanic (though Hispanic is not a race but rather an ethnicity).

I had a Dominican roommate in college who was mixed (trigueño - black white and indio). I would eventually meet his father who would state that they were black, though they definitely looked trigueño based off of their features, but I suppose they had faced discrimination or just had been in the US long enough to understand how things worked.

Old 05-06-2018, 02:37 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,478,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Not true. It’s possible for white people to discriminate each other and kill each other. Europe has long had problems with ethnic and religious violence.
Anyone this topic has been done to death lately and is completely off topic. Please stop bringing it up.
The European immigrant groups that came to the US all eventually became considered white and are no longer discriminated. There is no real anti European immigrant sentiment in the US, however there is plenty of anti-Latino sentiment and it applies to US born Latinos as well.

Conservatives don't even seem to care if white people illegally immigrate to the US.

Quote:
You do have a lot of white Cubans and white Mexicans as well. A lot of Latinos marry white people. Lynda Carter the former Wonder Woman is half Mexican and looks like any other brunette. There are a lot of people like that.

Many lighter Puerto Rican’s and Dominicans have kids with Italians, and in a number of cases the kids look effectively white.
Those people are the exception to the norm in the US (with the exception of all the white Cubans in Florida). Even so, many half white/half Hispanic people do not consider themselves white.

Old 05-06-2018, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
I can see all of the above happening without knowing what you look like. Since Latin America doesn't have the "one drop rule", it creates issues when Hispanics here are asked to identify what they are. Combine that with the racial hierarchy enforced by the Spaniards that black is the worse of the worse, and it's easy to see how many Hispanics who are clearly not white based off of skin color and facial features would check white anyway.

Hell there are plenty of Hispanics who seem to think that their nationality defines their race. I've met plenty of Dominicans that will say I'm not mixed, I'm Dominican. What they mean to say is that both of their parents are Dominican, even if one looks "white" and the other is black or mixed with black. I'll question them further (usually in Spanish so that there's no confusion) and ask what color is their mother and father. Often they will admit to having a "white" mother and black father or vice versa and then what I'm asking them makes sense. They will say I'm Dominican of mixed background, but they don't want to be lumped with AAs mainly for cultural reasons being that they identify as Hispanic (though Hispanic is not a race but rather an ethnicity).

I had a Dominican roommate in college who was mixed (trigueño - black white and indio). I would eventually meet his father who would state that they were black, though they definitely looked trigueño based off of their features, but I suppose they had faced discrimination or just had been in the US long enough to understand how things worked.
Them checking "white" on the census does not mean they think they're white.

The Hispanic question is seperate, so they'll pick "Hispanic" for their ethnicity and generally "white" or "some other race" for their race.

Old 05-06-2018, 03:04 PM

Quote:
The European immigrant groups that came to the US all eventually became considered white and are no longer discriminated. There is no real anti European immigrant sentiment in the US, however there is plenty of anti-Latino sentiment and it applies to US born Latinos as well.

Conservatives don't even seem to care if white people illegally immigrate to the US.

Those people are the exception to the norm in the US (with the exception of all the white Cubans in Florida). Even so, many half white/half Hispanic people do not consider themselves white.
And many do. It's up to the individual person. Actually, if you look white it's at that point disingenuous to say you don't "consider" yourself white. Those people are essentially white Americans are won't get deported, beat up or shot by the police, and have all the opportunities available to any other white person.

And there's a high rate of Hispanics marrying "White" people, and you'll see a lot more of this.

Old 05-06-2018, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer23 View Post
As a hispanic person I find it more confusing than you. From my experience, it is others who pick my background for me and act accordingly.

International:
Greece: I have been asked frequently what part of Greece I am from.
Latin America and Caribbeans: I must be a gringo.

Domestic:
Miami, FL: I must be Cuban.
California: I must be Mexican.
Georgia: I have been followed by cops and pulled over to check if my trunk has weapons.
Chinatown: I must be white and a foreigner.

Growing up I disliked how my teachers mispronounced my name and I found it confusing to fill out a form that did not list hispanic as a race.
A lot of dumbass Long Islanders refer to Salvadoran/Honduran people as "Mexicans".Which is weird because there are hardly any Mexicans here (aside from some communities very deep in Suffolk County)

Old 05-06-2018, 03:07 PM

Quote:
And many do. It's up to the individual person. Actually, if you look white it's at that point disingenuous to say you don't "consider" yourself white. Those people are essentially white Americans are won't get deported, beat up or shot by the police, and have all the opportunities available to any other white person.

And there's a high rate of Hispanics marrying "White" people, and you'll see a lot more of this.
I agree that it's disingenous, but at the same time I can see why they don't identify as white. Maybe they feel "out grouped" by white America even if they look white. I think a lot of them identify as nonwhite because it's more "cool" though.

Old 05-06-2018, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Them checking "white" on the census does not mean they think they're white.

The Hispanic question is seperate, so they'll pick "Hispanic" for their ethnicity and generally "white" or "some other race" for their race.
Are you reading the minds of everyone as they fill out the census form? Are Hispanics the borg, all of one mind?

I don't think any one group feels the same way all the time.

I think you're projecting your own identity issues or feelings on other Latinos.

Old 05-06-2018, 03:10 PM

I want to know why some people's Hispanic identity issues have to take over every thread on the NYC forum? This thread was originally supposed to be about the cops calling on someone because they saw a Black man moving in the apartment and decided he was breaking into his own apartment.

So why are people discussing Hispanic identity issues? What is this unhealthy obsession some of you have with this.

Old 05-06-2018, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Are you reading the minds of everyone as they fill out the census form? Are Hispanics the borg, all of one mind?

I don't think any one group feels the same way all the time.

I think you're projecting your own identity issues or feelings on other Latinos.
I know many, many, Latinos and I don't think a single one identifies as white, so yes I can come to the conclusion that when a mestizo or mulatto Latino picks "white" on the census it is likely not because they think they're white.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City