Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2018, 07:33 PM

3,357 posts, read 4,632,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
About what?
You're telling him what to do again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2018, 07:33 PM

12,789 posts, read 8,293,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
I don't want to be too specific about anything school-related. One of her kids is still a student there.
Oh please. You didn't provide anything specific. It must be Riverdale based on your responses. No wonder you hate that place. lol

Old 05-06-2018, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Oh please. You didn't provide anything specific. It must be Riverdale based on your responses. No wonder you hate that place. lol
I don't hate Riverdale.

Old 05-06-2018, 07:40 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,315,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
You're telling him what to do again.
So what if I am. It is not like I am telling the entire subgroup that he belongs what to do.

Old 05-06-2018, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
So what if I am. It is not like I am telling the entire subgroup that he belongs what to do.
It's a contradiction but whatever.

Old 05-06-2018, 08:38 PM

782 posts, read 527,368 times
Wow, like 10+ pages that have nothing to do with the OP.

Anyway, I didn’t read everything but to add a couple of thoughts. Not in NYC but in some Long Island neighborhoods near the Queens border, home visits and investigations used to be (and may still be) common because a significant number of Queens families were sending kids to Long Island schools. I don’t think it was really a race thing though I wouldn’t be surprised if most families investigated were minorities.

Another thing, why is anyone paying attention to comments on extremist news sites? There are crazy people out there who are not representative of the broader population. Most people are not extremists and this goes for both the right and left.

Edit: Here’s an article about the schools on Long Island: https://mobile.nytimes.com/2003/03/1...dents-out.html

Old 05-06-2018, 08:40 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,483,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC305 View Post

Anyway, I didn’t read everything but to add a couple of thoughts. Not in NYC but in some Long Island neighborhoods near the Queens border, home visits and investigations used to be (and may still be) common because a significant number of Queens families were sending kids to Long Island schools. I don’t think it was really a race thing though I wouldn’t be surprised if most families investigated were minorities.

Another thing, why is anyone paying attention to comments on extremist news sites? There are crazy people out there who are not representative of the broader population.
Breitbart is one of the most popular sites on the internet

Old 05-06-2018, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Breitbart is one of the most popular sites on the internet
So? You believe everything you read on the internet?

Old 05-06-2018, 09:13 PM

12,789 posts, read 8,293,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC305 View Post

Another thing, why is anyone paying attention to comments on extremist news sites? There are crazy people out there who are not representative of the broader population. Most people are not extremists and this goes for both the right and left.

Edit: Here’s an article about the schools on Long Island: https://mobile.nytimes.com/2003/03/1...dents-out.html
Wow, like someone complaining about a thread having nothing to do with the OP to then post something else that has nothing to do with the OP.

Old 05-07-2018, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Wow, like someone complaining about a thread having nothing to do with the OP to then post something else that has nothing to do with the OP.
Yeah, I was a little annoyed at how off topic the thread went and the endless bickering. But then since it went on for so many pages, it seemed like the point of no return so I thought I’d add some factual stuff about the school visits to verify residency and how the Bronx situation might not be so unusual and racist as suggested.

This actually does tie back to the OP in a way. Some folks automatically assume racism/discrimination these days whenever the person is a minority. But who knows really. There are plausible explanations as to why these things happen. It wasn’t just a black guy moving into an UWS apartment (which some people assumed was a white and affluent area). It was a black guy moving into a relatively affordable majority-minority area late at night. It still could be racial profiling. But maybe it wasn’t.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City