Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2018, 08:44 PM

31,657 posts, read 26,531,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
You might not see much of that in NYC, but it wouldn't be weird to me either. If there aren't many minorities in a particular area, then you do see mostly whites working those jobs.

SB is sort of a mixed bag; every now and then you do see a number of young white kids working there, especially at locations near say NYU or whatever.

Supermarkets, Duane Reade and so forth? Have yet to run into a white person of any age working in such stores for Manhattan; they are all minorities or immigrants from places like Middle East, South Asia, etc....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2018, 09:16 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,397,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
SB is sort of a mixed bag; every now and then you do see a number of young white kids working there, especially at locations near say NYU or whatever.

Supermarkets, Duane Reade and so forth? Have yet to run into a white person of any age working in such stores for Manhattan; they are all minorities or immigrants from places like Middle East, South Asia, etc....
What about Staten Island below the expressway?

For instance, I worked at McDonald's in Wantagh when I was in high school, you don't see a lot (or any) whites working at McDonald's in Manhattan, but the staff at that McDonald's is mostly white. I'm wondering if it's similar in the white parts of Staten Island.

Old 05-08-2018, 08:50 AM

25,346 posts, read 36,876,959 times
Who would go to Starbucks for the MUSIC? Or for ANYTHING for that matter.

Old 05-08-2018, 05:14 PM

Quote:
What about Staten Island below the expressway?

For instance, I worked at McDonald's in Wantagh when I was in high school, you don't see a lot (or any) whites working at McDonald's in Manhattan, but the staff at that McDonald's is mostly white. I'm wondering if it's similar in the white parts of Staten Island.

Have not set foot in a McDonald's, Burger King, or whatever on SI since was in high school. Thus cannot say who is working in any of them on SI.

If I want fast food on SI it more than not will be a slice (of pizza) or something else like a calzone. Besides am not a real big red meat eater, especially ground beef.

Old 05-08-2018, 07:09 PM

8,911 posts, read 4,703,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Who would go to Starbucks for the MUSIC? Or for ANYTHING for that matter.
Well, if you're hanging out anywhere you start to notice the music that's been playing in the background & will comment if it's starting to bother you. But I agree, it's been awhile since I've hung out at Starbucks, Barnes N Nobles, Borders, etc. Mainly because most of these (other than Starbucks) are around no longer. Also as I'm getting older, hanging out just killing time is becoming more of a luxury. Who has the time?

Old 05-09-2018, 06:56 AM

25,346 posts, read 36,876,959 times
Mainly because most of these (other than Starbucks) are around no longer.

May Starbucks soon join the other two. Starbucks is a microcosm for the death of civilization.

Old 05-09-2018, 06:59 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,397,898 times
Quote:
Have not set foot in a McDonald's, Burger King, or whatever on SI since was in high school. Thus cannot say who is working in any of them on SI.

If I want fast food on SI it more than not will be a slice (of pizza) or something else like a calzone. Besides am not a real big red meat eater, especially ground beef.
I didn't just mean McDonald's, but also supermarkets, pizzerias, etc.

Old 05-09-2018, 12:59 PM

Quote:
I didn't just mean McDonald's, but also supermarkets, pizzerias, etc.

Mixed bag...

Supermarkets are mostly but not totally same as in other parts of NYC; that is minorities with a scattering of whites. Pizza places same, though like elsewhere you are seeing more and more Mexicans or others instead of Italians or Albanians making pies.

Old 05-09-2018, 01:01 PM

12,742 posts, read 8,182,317 times
Quote:
Mixed bag...

Supermarkets are mostly but not totally same as in other parts of NYC; that is minorities with a scattering of whites. Pizza places same, though like elsewhere you are seeing more and more Mexicans or others instead of Italians or Albanians making pies.
That's pretty much the way it is, and usually if there are whites, they are in managerial positions which pay more.

Old 05-09-2018, 01:29 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,595,860 times
I can't go to these coffee places when the bottled and canned coffee in Tokyo you can get from vending machines hot/warm costs less and tastes better. I just stick to whatever coffee my work gives me for free and the bags that my coworkers bring from other countries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: