Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2018, 10:09 AM

8,935 posts, read 4,759,816 times

Advertisements

So, that explains why lately I've been seeing certain items locked up behind glass cases or have security locks on them (and you have to go through the hassle of calling someone over to unlock it) when in the past, those particular items were out in the open.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2018, 10:18 AM

34,017 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
So, that explains why lately I've been seeing certain items locked up behind glass cases or have security locks on them (and you have to go through the hassle of calling someone over to unlock it) when in the past, those particular items were out in the open.
They dont do that in every neighborhood

I hated buying that extra can of formula when he was a baby

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 05-06-2018, 04:54 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
They dont do that in every neighborhood

I hated buying that extra can of formula when he was a baby

Pretty much, I mean if things are locked up on UES, South Shore and Mid-Island of Staten Island and so forth.....

Crime knows no boundaries and thieves are pretty much like rats; they will go where easiest opportunities and good pickings can be found.

The UES for instance is plagued by crime from those that come south from Harlem and points north.

Off top of my head things that are likely to be locked behind closed cases or put behind counter:

Infant formula

Tide detergent

Condoms

High end cosmetics, toiletries, hair care

And so it goes... Anything that is popular/has high demand as such can be easily fenced anywhere from back in the hood to online.

Old 05-06-2018, 05:02 PM

3,403 posts, read 3,572,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Close all the Duane Reades: Problem Solved.
Oh, you will see them close soon enough if this is keep up. By the way, just make sure you are not one of those that complaint no place to get your everyday item when they do close.

Old 05-07-2018, 09:05 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybklyn View Post
Oh, you will see them close soon enough if this is keep up. By the way, just make sure you are not one of those that complaint no place to get your everyday item when they do close.

I would never complain if they disappeared. I have one a half block away and I walk 2 blocks to CVS instead. I HATE Duane Reade: overpriced and overbuilt.

Old 05-07-2018, 09:58 AM

15,826 posts, read 14,463,105 times
I think this is a bit backwards. I think why DRs give the impression they have more of a security problem than other stores is that they prosecute shoplifters, therefore generating statistics. I don't know if the other chains actually call the cops on shoplifter.

I know this because I sat grand jury duty a while back, and was somewhat astounded by how high a percentage of the cases we heard were DR shoplifting. We heard one or two shoplifting/employee theft cases from Macy's, and nothing from the other big chains. Since I really doubt that the skels shoplift DR more than CVS or the others, I racked this up to DR actually having the shoplifters they catch arrested and prosecuted.

Maybe this makes more work for the cops and DAs than they want to for petty crimes, and this is their way of pressuring DR to not prosecute. Either that, or the DR shoplifting cases pump up the crime stats, and the cops think this makes them look bad.

Last edited by BBMW; 05-07-2018 at 10:39 AM..

Old 05-07-2018, 09:59 AM

3,861 posts, read 3,148,782 times
So what police have to respond so much. Why don't someone tell the drugstores, hey stop calling us for BS. Even if they had security,police will still be called when they apprehend some shoplifters.hello!

Should the cops be called for $50 dollar theft? That is petty.

Back in the days ,shoplifters would catch a hard slap upside the head, which they would remember .

Old 05-07-2018, 10:18 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times
I guess this is why Duane Reade is so expensive. I'm paying a small portion of all that stolen merchandise with every purchase I make.

I try to avoid Duane Reades because of the high prices. I do pick up meds at the DR pharmacy though.

Old 05-07-2018, 10:58 AM

4,294 posts, read 4,424,318 times
Yeah ....The Prices !

Old 05-07-2018, 11:22 AM

12,788 posts, read 8,279,275 times
I haven't shopped in a Duane Reade in years. Between the high prices and the rude cashiers it makes no sense to bother. Their prices were high just because. I get coupons from CVS and they have self-checkout so when I do go someplace like that it's to CVS and even then I limit those trips as they too can be expensive with certain items.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City