Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 07:07 PM

1,409 posts, read 5,249,842 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmylifeline View Post
I am willing to work SO HARD for this industry. I've always been a really hard worker, but I might be easily discouraged in a big city like this. I'm going to have to learn to cowboy up and just never give up.
Knowing people is going to be a struggle at first, though, because I come from a small town, though.

About the whole college thing, do you think it would be smart of me to go to a cheap college and then transfer? Would I still be able to meet contacts and get exposed? I don't know. Wouldn't transferring almost be more expensive? hmmm.
And by Columbia you mean in Chicago, right? Or is Columbia somewhere in NYC?

As soon as I get the chance to work with ANYBODY from the film industry, no matter how big or small, I'm going to do everything that I can to please them and make them smile and laugh and crap. I just want them to think of me when it comes time to hire somebody or just have somebody in mind to even keep their dog company, or get them coffee. I would be so willing to do that, plus half of the fun is watching and just being around the whole experience. I just want to have fun, work my ass off and be happy.

I really take everything you say to heart. thank you so so so so so so so so much. I'm totally considering NYC now.
yaaaay!
This is only based on my experience, but I have worked with two Academy Award winners and on many films that you have probably seen.

Unless you get a full ride, graduate school for film is a complete waste of money. Take what you would spend on tuition and make movies.

1. You have to figure out what you want to do in film production. You think you want to be a writer or a director. Have you written a film? Have you directed a short? I know you are only in high school, so it's okay if you haven't. But start. You may find that you hate working with actors or that you actually love working with the camera. While I was in college I worked or interned in development, publicity, post-production, and production for film and television just to figure out what I wanted to do.

2. You need work experience. Get an internship at your local tv station or local cable access show if there is one in your town. If that is not available to you, you can intern when you are in college.

3. You don't have to major in film to be a director or a writer. Just think of all of the classic films that were made before film majors even existed at universities. Some people think you need a broad story-telling base and you should major in English or some sort of Social Science. You have to decide what will enhance your story-telling abilities the most.

You don't have to go to a top-tier school, but it helps. I went to UCLA (CA resident, so it was cheap at the time) and have a fantastic network, but I did not meet these people in film classes - I actually met them through student government. The key was that I hooked up with people who were actually doing something - not just sitting around talking about the movies they would make. (We were also able to use school funds to make stuff in "service" to the university.)

I forgot to mention one of the most awful things about getting into the business - you need to put away enough money so that you can intern for free for at least six months. Ever wonder why the business is filled with rich kids and why movies are all about the same thing? Yeah, that's why.

If you love movies and can't imagine any other job that would make you happy (I understand, I have it bad, too) - the next time you see a movie, stay and watch the credits. You don't have to be a writer or a director to work in show biz. I know plenty of satisfied casting agents, sound editors, accountants, model makers, CGI artists, etc. It's a massive industry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2008, 08:12 PM

757 posts, read 3,362,982 times
One big, big purpose of college is to broaden you -- expose you to many ways of seeing the world around you. That is extremely enriching, no matter what career you choose. I am a firm believer in the intangible, intrinsic value of a liberal arts education. You'll be a better person and a better filmmaker for it.

Sure, take film courses, along with science, philosophy, anthro, etc. See if you can get hired to help on a crew -- lots of films and tv shows shoot around New York, as you might have noticed. And who knows, maybe you'll find something that fascinates you even more than film!

Then, when you have your B.A., apply to a graduate school for film and learn the techniques and history of your chosen field. If you have talent, you'll find financial aid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmylifeline View Post
I am willing to work SO HARD for this industry. I've always been a really hard worker, but I might be easily discouraged in a big city like this.
IF you get in, and unless you are really, really lucky, you'll soon find yourself feeling overworked, underappreciated, dog tired, bored. "Discouraged" hardly begins to describe it. It's hard to keep your morale up, easy to get lazy and sloppy, show a bad attitude. You'll need incredible drive and focus to stay on track, because there are 10,000 others waiting for your job to open up.

Last edited by Carbro; 03-28-2008 at 08:23 PM..

Old 03-29-2008, 10:23 AM

399 posts, read 554,415 times
What about In-State-Tuition. I mean I am the typical 18 year fresh out of high school who wants to move to NYC (But I want to study Business) .. Scholarships are managable. But getting a good GPA is not enough. I had a 3.8 GPA in my high school. I was on a sports team for about a year, that is about it. I never did any community service or projects outside of school to make myself truly recognizable from the rest (Like student council, gay-straight alliance etc)

If you have those "Extra-activities" in your agenda then a scholarship will be easier to get.
All though the Out of -State Tuition is the biggest worry!! To me anyway. :-|

I think NYU has a better film program degree then Columbia or any of the rest.(That is what I saw being ranked) The thing with NYU is it is a private University which is different from a public university (When it comes to financial aid)

Old 03-29-2008, 12:47 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,933,384 times
My friend, who is trying to make it in film production, has told me horror stories. She said that even if you network and make tons of friends, if you make one small mistake on the job, it can be over for you. They won't want you back if you make a careless mistake. She has to do a lot of paperwork (along with running errands for all the higher-ups) and if you forget to hand them a piece of paper or something, it can be all over with something as simple as that. I had no idea that someone could screw up a job like that by something so easily. It sounds really tough. Just think about it.

Old 03-30-2008, 12:34 PM

24 posts, read 107,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
A 4.0 in Montana might not be a 4.0 average elsewhere.
I went to NYU and find this statement kind of ridiculous. If OP wants to get into the Film program at Tisch then the first thing they look at is the portfolio and then grades and SATs and then everything else. Sorry but a 4.0 is a 4.0, they look at the rigor of the courses someone takes compared to the courses available to them. Admissions officers understand that it's not the kid's fault he was born in Montana and so if he took the most difficult courses offered at his school and performed exceptionally in them then he's got the grades he needs to get in. Also, being from Montana he may get extra points for geographic diversity as I'm sure they don't get as many applicants from there as they do from the tri-state area.

OP, start writing some screenplays and shooting short films with your friends in your spare time. Find peer review sites online that will help you workshop them. Get a good score on the SATs and you've got a good shot at getting in. Shoot for the top programs as they'll help you build a good network. If film's your passion then there's no reason not to major in it when if you can go to a top film school. Take marketing and business courses on the side as a minor. Unless your Plan B is to go into accounting, most recruiters for business jobs don't put too much emphasis on your major if you're coming out of a highly ranked school with good grades and a winning personality.

Old 03-30-2008, 02:09 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,938,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyoka View Post
I went to NYU and find this statement kind of ridiculous. If OP wants to get into the Film program at Tisch then the first thing they look at is the portfolio and then grades and SATs and then everything else. Sorry but a 4.0 is a 4.0, they look at the rigor of the courses someone takes compared to the courses available to them. Admissions officers understand that it's not the kid's fault he was born in Montana and so if he took the most difficult courses offered at his school and performed exceptionally in them then he's got the grades he needs to get in. Also, being from Montana he may get extra points for geographic diversity as I'm sure they don't get as many applicants from there as they do from the tri-state area.

OP, start writing some screenplays and shooting short films with your friends in your spare time. Find peer review sites online that will help you workshop them. Get a good score on the SATs and you've got a good shot at getting in. Shoot for the top programs as they'll help you build a good network. If film's your passion then there's no reason not to major in it when if you can go to a top film school. Take marketing and business courses on the side as a minor. Unless your Plan B is to go into accounting, most recruiters for business jobs don't put too much emphasis on your major if you're coming out of a highly ranked school with good grades and a winning personality.
It's not 'ridiculous' - or even 'kind of ridiculous.'

So many universities no longer require an SAT, and they're going to look at your grades. Just as different institutions granting bachelor's degrees have different standards and degrees of rigor, so do high schools. I would propose that a 4.0 from the Bronx High School of Science or Stuyvesant would outshine a 4.0 from a Montana high school. You may think not, but it's the hard truth.

Old 03-30-2008, 03:37 PM

24 posts, read 107,626 times
Quote:

So many universities no longer require an SAT, and they're going to look at your grades. Just as different institutions granting bachelor's degrees have different standards and degrees of rigor, so do high schools. I would propose that a 4.0 from the Bronx High School of Science or Stuyvesant would outshine a 4.0 from a Montana high school. You may think not, but it's the hard truth.
Are you kidding me? NYU has students from every single state and from over 100 countries. This is where their current freshman class hails from:
http://admissions.nyu.edu/explore.ny...rsity.map.html. I'm sure USC is not that different. Every school looks for diversity. With his grades there is no reason that OP can't be one of the 8 kids from Montana, especially since I'm sure not that many people from Montana even apply. If his SATs are on par and his portfolio is good then he has a good a shot as any kid from Stuy or BHS with similar stats. There is no reason to discourage him from applying.
Especially when talking about Tisch where the portfolio/audition is the most important piece of the puzzle. I knew kids at Tisch with GPAs far lower than 4.0 who got in because they are super talented.

Old 03-30-2008, 04:40 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,660,723 times
Quote:

Also, are they running a 4.0 in Advanced Placement Classes or in a bunch of electives? It does make a big difference.

Old 03-30-2008, 04:45 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,938,417 times
I mean a 4.0 in their coursework, not on an AP test - THAT (the AP test) is a completely different issue, because it's a standardized test.

Old 03-30-2008, 05:38 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,660,723 times
Quote:
I mean a 4.0 in their coursework, not on an AP test - THAT (the AP test) is a completely different issue, because it's a standardized test.
Well what I'm saying is, or at least how it was when I was in HS years ago, the AP courses were actual classes with coursework to prepare for the AP test. I'd think running a 4.0 GPA in AP classwork would far outshine running a 4.0 in regular classes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: